Brewer Fanatic

Josh Hader

He's the most intriguing prospect we picked up before the deadline, IMO. When guys are drafted, especially out of HS, you always hear that they are expected to add velocity. From all I've read, this has been the case with Hader each year since being drafted. What type of velocity does he show and what are his secondary pitches?

At 20 he was California League Pitcher of the Year. At 21 he has been extremely good. Lefty with Sale deception arm slot. K numbers on a rise. This kid could be an absolute steal! He is only 21 and only getting better as he climbs the ranks! Potential is very high if he improves secondary offerings. Fastball is go to pitch with a pretty solid slider I believe. Not sure how his other stuff is

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Any insight regarding his real velocity? I have read that he sits 89-92 and also that he sits in the mid-90s. Generally the truth tends to fall in the lower reported range, but with reports that he has increased velocity each year since being drafted, it could be very possibly we have a young, lanky lefty throwing 94-95 pretty consistently. Hopefully those secondary offerings keep developing. I've read the change-up has the potential to be a plus pitch.

It will be interesting to see if they keep him away from Colorado. Lopez too, for that matter. If his first start is any indication, he relies completely on his FB. Then again, maybe if that's all he needed to dominate that game, why throw anything else? But at some point his mastery of slider/change is more important than Biloxi winning a game.

It will be interesting to see if they keep him away from Colorado. Lopez too, for that matter. If his first start is any indication, he relies completely on his FB. Then again, maybe if that's all he needed to dominate that game, why throw anything else? But at some point his mastery of slider/change is more important than Biloxi winning a game.

From the interview with him about the game, it sounded like he used his slide a lot and it was going for strikes early in the count. I haven't looked at his advanced metrics at all on the pitches he throws but I'm also curious to know

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2015/2/3/7964711/california-league-profile-josh-hader

Good write-up on him. Velocity depends on arm slot. 88-92 tons of deception (takes forever to see ball). If he raises arm slot, he can get it into mid90s.

If he's anything like another lanky lefty in Brewer lore, Bill Travers, that would be fine with me.

Travers gets overlooked but his 1976 season was one of the finest in club history. Imagine a rather frail looking 23 year old throwing 15 complete games and logging 240 innings? Of course it probably was the reason he was never the same after that enduring shoulder problems the very next year.

Regarding Hader's velocity I am going to share something I had originally posted in the thread about the prospects acquired from the Astros...

Baseball Prospectus Trade Analysis ARTICLE (subscriber piece) mentions in a recent outing Josh Hader sat 92-94 MPH with his fastball, but touched 97 MPH in the first inning and 95 MPH in the fourth inning.

After some deductive reasoning from details in the article I was able to determine the "recent" outing noted was actually on May 5.

Hader was also the pre-game interview guest on the Biloxi radio pre-game show, and it is certainly worth a listen. Chris Harris will have it posted on the Shuck Dynasty blog at some point later this evening.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

According to wtmj interview with Doug Melvin (link in link report) Hader sat 94-95 touching 97 the other night....from the left side I get extremely excited about that.

According to wtmj interview with Doug Melvin (link in link report) Hader sat 94-95 touching 97 the other night....from the left side I get extremely excited about that.

He looks like a cross between Chris Sale and Madison Bumgarner. Nasty Stuff. If his velocity stays in the 95 range we might have an ace on our hands.

Archived