Brewer Fanatic

Dombrowski out as GM in Detroit (Latest: hired as Red Sox President of Baseball Operations; post 37)

reillymcshane

He's not shy at making moves but since he left Montreal, has he ever led the charge of a youth movement that's lasted well (and not been short-circuited by his FL or DET owner to sell off those assets for proven and/or name players)?

I like the idea of getting a guy who knows what he's doing. But with where the team is, I'd certainly want someone who's good at being patient with a long-term plan and who's willing to make the right moves accordingly.

Some conjecture that he might be a candidate here.

Great, I'd love to fill the entire bullpen solely with guys that have "closer experience."

Obviously there was very good success brought on by some great draft picks in their rebuild early in his tenure, and the robbery of a trade for Cabrera. His trades/moves to me seem to make a ton of sense or become complete failures, with not many "so-so" moves. I guess one can't complain with several World Series appearances. It just always seemed that a few moves were "off" with him such as the bullpen, but no baseball exec bats 1.000, I guess.

Moral of the story: I'd live with it but at this point maybe a younger, very forward-thinking/outside-the-box GM would be best.

Meh. What have the Tigers won despite their HUGE payroll? Anybody wanting Dombrowski is essentially saying they want Doug Melvin to stay here. Understandably the old owner who wants a world series before he passes on plays an impact on the decisions his GM makes, but I see no difference between the two. Melvin also makes quite a few "good" trades.

Pretty sure the 59 year old doesn't want to come to a small market that is in some kind of rebuild.

On a different note I wouldn't touch him with a 50ft. pole...though hard to gauge his success in Detroit when he was mostly a puppet in most big moves.

Dombrowski has overseen bad franchises being turned into World Series champions/contenders throughout his career, he did it in Montreal, Florida, and Detroit. Personally I think luck is a lot more important than the genius of the GM, but on paper he wouldn't be a bad fit for the Brewers.

Who knows what he could do with a "good" owner like Mark A rather than the dumpster fire in Florida or the meddling in Detroit.

Who knows what he could do with a "good" owner like Mark A rather than the dumpster fire in Florida or the meddling in Detroit.

Forgive me: isn't Mark the very definition of "meddling"? Did I miss something? (Meaning that sincerely even though it sure reads condescending. Not intended that way)

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Forgive me: isn't Mark the very definition of "meddling"? Did I miss something? (Meaning that sincerely even though it sure reads condescending. Not intended that way)

When has Mark A ever really meddled? He is hands-on maybe, but I don't recall him ever vetoing Melvin or forcing a move/signing to happen like goes on in Detroit.

When has Mark A ever really meddled? He is hands-on maybe, but I don't recall him ever vetoing Melvin or forcing a move/signing to happen like goes on in Detroit.

Lohse

Since when are we pinning Suppan and Lohse on Mark A? New one to me.

Suppan was wined & dined in LA by Attanasio at his home during his offseason as owner. That signing was meant to be a statement that Milwaukee could compete with the big boys in free agency, never mind the fact that most seemed to think it was a large overpay at the time.

Not sure who to pin the Lohse signing on, but at least they learned their lesson from Suppan/Wolf that they shouldn't go 4 years in those types of deals. But signing a guy in the middle of spring training that causes you to forfeit your 1st round pick screams one of two things 1) meddling owner; or 2) GM didn't have a real plan going into that season. Of course it's possible that Lohse was holding out for a 4 year deal and finally caved after teams reported to spring training, and it really was all Melvin.

I'd throw the multiple re-signings of K-Rod into the mix as well, since it was reported that Boras was dealing directly with Attanasio (not Melvin).

I'm not sure what the difference between meddling and being "hands on" as an owner are. We shall soon find out during this offseason. Will the Brewers go with a youth movement (i.e. low payroll) to seperate the wheat from the chaff knowing they'll play themselves into a top-ten pick again (which ultimately helps the rebuild)? Or will they continue to shell out some coin to aging free agents and try to play to a mediocre level because they believe that's what will put butts in the seats?

Gruber Lawffices

Whining and dining is a good function for the owner to perform as long as it isn't a surprise to the GM.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

OT but Mike Ilitch is funny lookin'

http://getnetworth.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/mike-ilitch-net-worth.jpg

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

There is plenty of supposition that Mark just picks up the phone and tells Melvin what to do at random, but all of the public statements are equally consistent with an owner who set a desired direction (competitiveness each year) of the franchise (just like every owner) and like's to be in the loop on big transactions. Of course it is hard to battle the desire of people to have a narrative to throw around, and to generations raised on Scooby-Doo blaming our lack of rebuild and/or playoffs on 'that meddling owner' is irresistible.

Now, note the post title. This appears to be a move done above Doug Melvin’s head. For weeks there have been rumors about Scott Boras meeting with Mark Attanasio directly. Every report today on the deal has been sure to mention Attanasio’s involvement, and Haudricourt’s report makes it sound like Attanasio was the one negotiating with Boras, not Melvin.

http://disciplesofuecker.com/mark-attanasio-signs-kyle-lohse-to-three-year-deal/8730

I think it's pretty obvious that MA was heavily involved if not the only one involved in signing Lohse because the whole winter Melvin said they were satisfied with their pitching and they weren't going to give up a pick to sign him.

^^^ There are significant facts missing here that fit with the Mark-A-blaming narrative....

Yes, Melvin's plan through the winter was to go with the young arms.... and then through most of spring training, the rotation was basically a near-total dumpster fire (outside of Gallardo, it was that Fiers stunk, Rogers was hurt & couldn't pitch, Peralta was basically unproven and not pitching with any consistency yet, etc....) and the youth they'd planned to rely on proved that there were major issues. The rotation needed at least a bit of veteran stability not to mention a bit of proven success, and Lohse's price came down enough that Melvin moved and made a deal happen. Best of all, it worked: The rotation was improved, Lohse was at least worth what he was getting paid, and Lohse also proved to be a great clubhouse guy & mentor for all the young guys on the pitching staff.

It's also worth noting that it's Boras' MO to go straight to owners on his big-ticket guys.

Back on topic, a day later, while I like the notion of an experienced hand stepping in, I'm not sure that Dombrowski amounts to much more than Melvin 2.0. I like Melvin a lot, but I'm not sure that's necessarily the best move to establish a new long-term vision. . . . Or we doubters could well be proven quite wrong, too. At this point, who really knows?

There are times & situations when a wig makes sense. This one's foolin' nobody. Ilitch is in his 80s, right? No one buys that hair color or hair "health" (thickness or whatever) as legit.

Archived