Brewer Fanatic

Cotts- next to go?

Yeah a Broxton type return is just fine. Get a guy with high upside and move along. We have arms to fill his role the rest of the way.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Since Lohse has no market right now, I don't think the Brewers have any, "have to trade" guys before the end of the season, but yes, it would make sense to move Cotts.

I agree with those who thought he would go before the deadline, but this is a player who would either bring back a low level prospect, or be claimed on waivers. If someone claimed him, the Brewers could just let him go, to stop paying him.

I'm really surprised the Twins didn't make a strong move to get Cotts. Goodness knows their BP could use some help.

Between Aaron Hicks & Byron Buxton, only 1 can play everyday CF at a time. Then again, Buxton probably needs to prove he can stay healthy before they trade away another CF (like they did with Span & Revere in the same winter).

• 2 weeks later...

@Ken_Rosenthal: Next to get traded? #Brewers LH reliever Neal Cotts claimed on waivers. Claiming team not known. Unlikely he got through NL.

@Ken_Rosenthal: Countless players get claimed. but #Brewers likely inclined to listen. Some thought Cotts would move in July. LHH hitters .576 OPS against.

I still can't figure why the Twins didn't make this happen 3 weeks ago at the deadline. Their BP has been lousy and in the past month has only gotten worse. Glad the deal happened -- for the Brewers, Twins, & Cotts.

The Brewers' official release says it's PTBNL or cash. I sure hope it's a PTBNL and not cash -- this relatively little amount saved doesn't help like adding another prospect-type guy into the mix.

The type of prospect matters vs. just cash. We don't need another OF prospects at the high levels for example, and we don't really need an under performing shot in the dark kind of OF prospect at the lower levels either, since they would just be taking PAs away from prospect with a similar chance in that case cash would be somewhat more useful. On the other hand there are plenty of other positions that we could easily accommodate prospect depth without taking chances away from other players.

Archived