Brewer Fanatic

Big Ten Baseball

Ohio State and Michigan always field competitive teams, although neither will probably find themselves ranked in anyone's top 25 polls. Ohio State LHP Cory Luebke is probably the best '07 eligible prospect of the two teams:

Brewerfan.net player profile: Cory Luebke

Michigan's Zach Putnam, a former Aflac All-American, stars both on the mound and at the plate, and is probably the best pro prospect of both teams, but he's a sophomore and isn't eligible for the draft until 2008.

Minnesota also fields a good club each and every year, although they aren't expected to be as good this season. Their best prospect is RHP Gary Perinar.

Purdue and Penn State also have good clubs, although not good enough to receive much national recognition.

The Big Ten overall just doesn't stack up very well against teams from the Sun Belt, with the weather being their biggest foe, in both playing on the field and when it comes to recruiting. Minnesota has a natural advantage playing their early games in the Metrodome, and have some pretty good non-conference opponents coming into town in early March (Mississippi and Arkansas will take part of the DQ Classic March 2-4, and Missouri State will be in town the following weekend).

Not in the Big Ten, but UW Stevens Point RHP Jordan Zimmerman is the best draft-eligible prospect in the upper Midwest, and could be selected in the top 2-3 rounds come June.

Brewerfan.net player profile: Jordan Zimmerman

Still hard to believe that as successful as the Badger athletic program is (football, track, cross country, basketball, etc.) that they don't have a baseball program anymore.

I know it's a Title IX issue relative to women's athletics...but you'd think the athletic program, flush with success, would be looking to re-establish a baseball program.

When Alvarez took over as AD, I remember reading some interviews with him, I think over at Badgermaniac.com, in which a few people did ask him if there was any chance that the baseball program would return. Alvarez admitted that he found the lack of a baseball program at the school was one of the biggest things that troubled him, although the return of the program would be very unlikely since it would be very difficult to accomplish given the chain reaction it would set off due to Title IX. I don't remember the specifics, and I apoligize for my spotty memory, but it sounded as though the Badgers would need a fairly big support network (and contributor/donations) for them to ever be able to revitalize the baseball program.

I also seem to remember some comment about baseball coming back could hurt what they have going with football, basketball and hockey, which is obviously something they wouldn't (and shouldn't, as much as I would love to see Wisconsin field a baseball team) do.

Baseball in Madison for whatever reason has had a tough time sticking, although the Madison Mallards are doing everything right, and may be doing enough to re-spark the interest in baseball in the area to help such a cause.

So, are there any Badgers alums out there with nothing better to do than drop a pile of cash for the program?

On a sidenote, UW-Milwaukee needs to step up. They field the only D1 program in the state, yet have the worst field in all of D1. They get some solid players, and have been told by several players and family members of players that they would consider going to UWM if the facilities were better (I have had two people tell me that their kids would have gone to UWM if the Panthers would have recruited them -- it seems UWM doesn't even try to get the better kids in the area assuming those players will end up going to more notable programs).

At least Wisconsin is well represented at the DIII level, although not many people seem to notice.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if there will ever be a baseball program again at UW. The cost of a program, and the resulting possible gender firestorm that could be created is something UW does not welcome.

It is true that Michigan and Ohio State traditionally field decent programs, but as a former Gopher baseball player, I feel that Minnesota must also be mentioned. In a recent Baseball America article, Minnesota was ranked as the 48th best program in the 64 team NCAA tournament era.

Fact of the matter is that even if Wisconsin had a program, the state just does not have a ton of talent to begin with to field a successful program. The same problem that the Minnesota's and Michigan's and UWM's have is that they have to compete with warm weather schools for top players. And if you were a division one prospect, would you rather be playing baseball outside in 70 degree weather in March, or practicing in a batting cage in the football complex until mid-April?

I gave Minnesota a little bit of love just above. They just aren't expected to have as good of a team this year.

As for Wisconsin not being able to field a good team due to lackluster in-state talent, its quite possible if they had a team that their starting rotation this year would consist of Jordan Zimmerman (UW-Stevens Point), Ryan Zink (UIC) and Dusty Brabender (Minnesota), with Dan Luzcak (South Carolina) coming out of the bullpen. That alone could make them a favorite in the Big Ten this year.

And the starting lineup could boast players like Chad Pierce (Arkansas), Wes Munson (Missouri), Tyler Beranek (South Alabama I think), Ryan Schweikert (UIC) and Chris Roberts (Michigan State). That would actually be one heck of an infield.

UWM wouldn't provide much in-state competition. While the warm weather point is a good one, I do know a few of the kids I have listed above have clearly placed a priority on staying somewhat close to home, and a few others may have stayed even closer if Wisconsin had a team.

EDIT: Welcome aboard bradyo.

Colby, FYI, I think Luzcak transferred to UWM at semester break.

As far as UWM goes, there field is absolutly horrible. And there is absolutly no solution until the university believes that baseball is a viable asset to their university. There is no commitment from the university and the community that the baseball program is anything important. I remember the FOX 6 news report about UWM placing signage in the visiting bullpen that Miller Park was going to play host to more UWM ballgames. Well we are what 5 years into the process and still UWM plays no more then one day a year at Miller Park. There was talk of them moving a series to a neighboring community but that was shot down. UWM is a frustrating subject for me as Colby can attest...but lets not get into specific. ha

Big Ten wise. I really hope that Wisconsin will some day see a return of baseball. It however will not happen in the near future...atleast until they can determine where to play home games during these spring months.

Colby Wes Munson also came to play for UWM at semester break. They have quite a few kids transferring home to play for the team. I really think they are going to turn things around a lot in the next few years, and I really think that is absolutely false that there arent enough good players in the state to field a good team. They got two players who I thought were two of the best in the state in Munson and Sam Sivilotti and offered player of the year Jeff Donovan a full scholarship but were turned down because he wanted to play football too. I have a lot of faith that Scotty Doffek and Corey Bigler are going to turn UWM into a perennial tournament team out of the Horizon.

Madtown,

I do agree with a lot of what you say about UWM baseball, and I'll be honest I am very impartial in my judgement of them because I know the coaches well and want them to do well.

I understand that a lot of coaches do view UWM as a glorified D3 program, and right now thats probably exactly what it is, but I think once they get the ball rolling in the Horizon League and win one or two titles kids from around here realize that there best chance to play in the NCAA tournament might be right at home with UWM. I think they are getting very close to winning a league championship or two with the talent they have right now, if they can get by UIC it might even be this year. Nothing recruits better than a team that wins, right?

With all the transfers that UWM brought in this year I really have to disagree with you on Whitewaters class being better, but it is way to close for a D3 vs a D1 program.

I agree with you that they have made a lot of dumb mistakes in the past, but nothing would be better for all levels of baseball in Wisconsin than UWM making a nice tournament run wiht some hometown talent, what better way to let people know that we can and do play darn good ball up here. And for the record I hope coaches keep sending kids up to us at Concordia we have put together a nice little team this year.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

While we're talking in state Wisconsin players let me throw in a plug for shortstop Adam Frost from Pulaski HS who is a sophomore at St. Norbert.

All Frost did this season was hit .471/.518/.688, with 27 steals, and 8 K's in 157 AB's.

Before everyone points out the competition, let me add that Frost was 12 for 22 (.545) in 6 games vs. WIAC teams.

Quote:
While we're talking in state Wisconsin players let me throw in a plug for shortstop Adam Frost from Pulaski HS who is a sophomore at St. Norbert.

I heard that kid can play a little bit. I know some people will be making a stop to see him next spring.

• 3 weeks later...

Four players from Wisconsin colleges received Division III All American honors including the aforementioned Frost. They are:

2nd Team

Jordan Zimmerman, P, JR. UW-Stevens Point

3rd Team

Jeff Livek, P, SR. Carthage

Seth Maier, 1B, SR. UW-Stout

Adam Frost, SS, SO. St. Norbert

Frost set St. Norbert school records in AB (157), Runs (52), hits (74), doubles (1http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/glasses.gif , total bases (10http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/glasses.gif and stolen bases (27).

Quote:
What is Mike Rohde's orginally from Wisconsin but went to University of Illinois draft status looking like?

I don't know what Colby will say or heard but I would think it isn't very high, a fifth year senior more likely a late pick or a free agent signing for cheap...great kid!

Pioneers already hit on it. Rohde's a great player, but unfortunately he probably doesn't have much of a pro career ahead of him. I will be very happy to see him join a club as a free agent as a fifth-year senior.

Colby, how about Ben Geland(sp?), the catcher from Iowa. You know living here in Algona Ia. I have to root for these former Bishop Garrigan players. It would quite interesting if the brewers drafted him. His dad did mention that the scouts for the Indians came by to scout him.

Archived