C - Lucroy/Maldonado

1B - Braun

2B - Scooter > maybe Segura/Sardinas/Rivera

SS - Segura > Arcia in 2nd half

3B - Dominguez/New guy?

LF - Davis > ? if needed

CF - Peterson/Schafer > Phillips, Taylor, Reed

RF - Santana > ? if needed

Trade Lind this off season and move Braun to 1B.

Luc and Maldonado catch.

Scooter is our 2B and Segura is our SS until mid-season. At this point you bring Arcia and he becomes SS. You then make the call on 2B - Segura, Scooter, Sardinas and Rivera all are options.

3B probably goes to Dominguez unless you can make a deal for a young 3B this off season. But there is no rush if we don't have a guy ready.

OF - Let Davis and Santana play out in their spots through mid-season. Then you start looking at Phillips, Taylor and Reed as alternatives to any of the OF spots. You can deal a guy like Davis if you want, or keep him in the spot, depending on how he does. But you have five guys that could be starters by season's end. You just have to see who's ready and who performs.

We are going to have a pretty groundball oriented staff in the coming years, meaning defense will be even more important. That could mean a guy like Scooter might be bumped in favor of a better glove. A lot of stuff will have to play out, but let's spend the rest of 2015 and most of 2016 figuring out who's the man in 2017. Let younger vets like Segura, Scooter and Davis show their value. Then start incorporating the minor leaguers as they are ready (and as certain players don't prove up to the task at hand, or are dealt). It all sets us up for having pieces in place for 2017.

The other big thing is 3B. The club has to figure out that situation. It doesn't have to happen now or in the off season, but by 2017 you probably want to have a little clarity.

I guess I'm not so much worried about next year as 2017 - which is when we might be relevant again. Next year is about having guys step up and put claim to spots. I don't expect a lot next year, but I want to feel like we are planning for the future. The worst will be if we waste spots of aging vets who won't be around in 2017 (hence why we should trade Lind).

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived