Brewer Fanatic

2016 Starting Position players

CheezWizHed
What type of batting line are we expecting out of Reed? It seems a bit lofty to expect lead-off production out of a guy putting up a .278/.379/.422 in Biloxi. I don't really see the reason to rush him unless he mashes in Colorado Springs (for whatever that's worth...). That said, bringing up a borderline prospect in a non-competitive season wouldn't be the worst stop-gap.

Reed's numbers over the last three years:

2013: .286/.385/.400

2014: .255/.396/.378

2015: .283/.381/.437 (combined and to date)

So... I think it is reasonable to expect a .380 OBP with 25-30 steals and some extra base hits. I'm thinking Brady Clark-esque production, but the OBP is there, and will be from the get-go. If he could work out in the weight room some... who knows? He could blossom big-time.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I'd bring Domingo Santana up for sure. It's time, and it doesn't look like there's anything left for him to prove. I wouldn't argue if the Brewers decided to call him up tomorrow.

For what it's worth, today's his birthday. Happy 23rd. :)

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Yeah, I'd bring Domingo Santana up for sure. It's time, and it doesn't look like there's anything left for him to prove. I wouldn't argue if the Brewers decided to call him up tomorrow.

Honestly, depending on how Victor Roache does in spring training, I could see an Opening Day 2016 OF of Roache in left, Reed in center, and Santana in right.

Thankfully Jon Jay isn't a free agent so they won't be getting him. Don't really see room for David Murphy in the corner positions. Would prefer if they just go with Reed in CF and see what he can do before Phillips and/or Taylor get their shots. I like the idea of Santana and Davis competing for time. Peterson can be a 5th outfielder. Wren and Guez can be waiting at AAA if somebody gets hurt and they need some depth. Don't see Schafer on the 40 man after the season.

Braun and Luc wont be with us in 2016.

The Brewers have collected way too many outfielders for the Braun move to not happen, and Luc is pretty self explanatory. As i have mentioned before, the Tulo template will find a deal for Braun. Luc, despite a down year will net a major return.

As of now, I see 2016:

C- Acquired via trade

1B- Lind - they didn't trade him when quite clearly they could have landed Kaminsky for him????

2B- Gennett

3B- Dominguez or Acquired via trade, Segura once Arcia is up.

SS- Segura - Arcia after service clock closes the Super Two.

LF- Davis

CF- Reed - Phillips at some point starts and doesn't leave CF

RF- Santana

That is obviously not a great line up, but the farm went from low 20's to top 10/top 5 in a year.

Everything so far suggests Santana will play a big role for the Brewers in 2016.

Braun and Luc wont be with us in 2016.

The Brewers have collected way too many outfielders for the Braun move to not happen, and Luc is pretty self explanatory. As i have mentioned before, the Tulo template will find a deal for Braun. Luc, despite a down year will net a major return.

This is no given and I have serious doubts the Brewers would or should consider either. I hear all the logic about moving Braun. Keep in mind that many on this site are pre-disposed to quick turnover from a franchise's downswings and tend to heavily favor young players (obviously with some oft-written justifications). But there's logic on the flip side, too, just that many here don't agree with. Cubs- and especially Astros-like total roster blowups hardly guarantee success and often turn into a cycle that doesn't easily if ever turn upward. I think Braun & Lucroy are just the types of players to have at the core of this turnaround -- Lucroy for his value on the field and to the pitching staff, Braun for his value on the field (partly aided by his humongous contract and PED past, but why not still focus on turning that into a positive for the caliber of player the Brewers can keep for the long term?)

Roache's hitting .259 at AA after hitting .267 in A+ this year. He's nowhere close to AAA yet, let alone the bigs for next year unless about 6 other OFs get injured.

Actually roache's line at Brevard County was .259/.326/.448. His Biloxi line is .267/.336/.513.

He's worth a look at Spring Training.

Here's my current thinking.

Trade Lind or K. Davis for prospect (Pitcher, Catcher or corner infielder).

Trade Segura or Sardinas & propsect (Cravy, Wagner, Coulter, or Roache) for Wilmer Flores & Wheeler from the mets.

C: Lucroy

1B: Braun or Lind

2B: Gennett

SS: Segura or Sardinas

3B: Flores

LF: Braun or Davis

CF: Peterson & Michael Reed

RF: Domingo Santana

Key bench will be Maldonado, Yadiel Rivera, Reed/Peterson, and 2 fillers.

Bonus, this setup will get us Wheeler to join Nelson, Jungman, Peralta, and Davies by season end (with a Garza trade if no one got hurt).

This is not a WS team yet, but after Arcia and Phillips join us in late 2016 or early 2017 this should be a playoff caliber team only needing an upgrade at 3B & 2B.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Segura has to go. In 14 he was a .4 WAR player, this year getting into the 2nd week of August, he's a .1 WAR guy. He's (even counting his defense) barely above replacement level.

He's been bad for 2+ years now, there's no reason to keep throwing him out there unless the only purpose is to keep from starting someone else's clock.

In all fairness to Segura -- whose 20-point BA drop this late in the season and whose continued pretty much totally non-clutch hitting are both exceedingly frustrating -- Perez is apparently a better 3B than SS plus has come back down to Earth, Sardiñas is only hitting in the .250s/.260s in AAA (with Rivera hitting about 10 points lower), and Arcia hasn't even seen AAA yet. I think Segura's long term future is probably elsewhere. But in spite of all his glaring flaws at the plate, the Brewers don't exactly have anyone obviously or immediately deserving to start ahead of Segura (in other words, I doubt there's a service time clock issue anywhere in this equation). Until he's traded or outplayed by someone else, I have to think he remains our starting SS.

Side note: While Segura has committed 14 errors this year, leading the Brewers (who lead the whole NL in errors & lowest fielding %), he had 7 errors before April was even over. Since then he's on a 2 errors per month clip, which is hardly anything to scoff at from your starting SS. (...I know people love getting into advanced metrics on fielding/defense, which, though improved, are still the least reliable. Without getting too deep into it, errors & fielding percentage still paint a reasonable picture of how well a guy makes the plays he gets to, and as such are a decent -- if still basic -- indicator of a player's fielding.)

Segura is garbage and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he isn't in the Bigs 3 years from now. I'm not even sure he would be worthwhile as a utility guy. His defense isn't that great and his bat is negative...very negative if you ask me.

Bottom line this guy is done as a starter and should start hoping he can make it as a utility guy. Anyone having him as a starter after he is done in Milwaukee is in a sad situation like we were in 2011.

Why all the venom directed at Segura? Virtually the entire lineup is below average. Lucroy is -.01 WAR this year. Perez cooled but still should be out there everyday instead of Counsell giving time to 30 year old Herrera. Peterson's a career minor leaguer. Gennett's having a bad year. Braun is a shell of what he was. Yet all the venom gets directed at Segura and Schafer? At least Segura stays healthy.

When the middle of the order hitters don't produce (Lucroy, Braun) or get traded away (Gomez, Parra), too much scrutiny is placed on the guys who aren't expected to shoulder the offense. Segura's not a perennial All Star. He's a stopgap until Arcia arrives.

Im amazed at the lack of true firstbasemen in the game. I just played at the HS level but back then 1B was a sacred position, on par with SS, C, and CF. If you didn't have a elite power/D 1B, you werent going to win a lot of HS games.

Im thinking that quite a few OF now who were 1B in HS/college that we can try and find?

I have a feeling the Brewers will keep Lind at least through July 2016 because there really isnt any other realistic options to put there now?

Dumbfounded by the pure Segura hate. He is 25 years old, not like he is late 20s or 30s where his ceiling is topped out. He is not a can't miss, franchise star by any means but offensive SS/2b are not overflowing at the major league level. He is what he is. I believe he is a better 2B and his offense will play there or at SS just as much as Sardinas, Rivera, H. Gomez, Etc. There is no promising Arcia's bat will even be better than Segura's. Sergura was a very good prospect as well who was called up from AA and future seemed very bright. To consider him worthless at 25 is a over reaction. Name any player who has overachieved or even really just achieved on this team outside of Lind offensively....last year was rough for him, started out really slow, then he lost his child....not best situation in the world so I throw out the 2014 season. This year has been up and down but he is still cheap, under contract and at worse league average.

There is zero reason to rush Phillips and Arcia or any of the other AA guys. Next year, will be awful, why waste the the service time? They can go to AAA all season, experience a lot of success and fully develop. No need to throw underdeveloped players into the fire on a failing team just to do it.... That approach nearly destroyed Gomez with the Twins and has wrecked many other careers as well.

Let those kids go to AAA win a lot and come up together

Santana is ready now, Reed is wishful thinking but probably need more time

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I suspect much of the difference in fan behavior between Segura and Gennett is due to expectations; most of us were hoping Segura was a lock-in at SS for six years, but the past two calendar years have been very disappointing. Gennett was always sort of tough to evaluate for me.

Segura's OPS is .611. That is awful. So I don't know why anyone would be shocked at negative comments about him. He had a couple great months to start off his career, and has been terrible since then. No way to sugar-coat it.

With that said, he's cheap, and it doesn't really matter who plays SS next year anyhow. So there's not much to lose by keeping him there and see if he improves. If they want to give Sardinas or Rivera a shot at starting next year, I would be fine with that too.

Archived