Brewer Fanatic

Lohse in a 3-teamer, with a little help from our friend...

... Jack Z. So crazy it just might work.

SEA sends Cano to NYY

NYY sends Sabathia and Drew to SEA

MIL sends Lohse and Burgos to NYY

SEA sends B-level prospect to NYY, C-level prospect to MIL

Why SEA makes this deal - desperate to get out of the $192M owed to Cano, if Sabathia has a shoulder injury they can buy out his 2017 for $5M

Why NYY makes this deal - significantly upgrade 2B over Drew, Cano's numbers will get much better going from Safeco to the short right field porch in Yankee Stadium, Cano and Sabathia's salaries are a wash but they get much better production for that salary in Cano, Sabathia has been bad for two years and Lohse may be a wash, Lohse's road numbers are much better (4.55 ERA, .721 OPS-A, almost exactly same number of PAs at home and road) and going to a league where hitters are much less familiar with him may improve his numbers, if Lohse doesn't work out they get some depth and ML starter experience in Burgos who is pitching well at Colorado Springs, you only need four starters at most in the playoffs so they just need a fifth to get them through the season, NYY has a lot of salary coming off the books the next two years and is only on the hook for a guaranteed $92M after 2017 so they can take on Cano's salary

Why MIL makes the deal - get something for Lohse

I highly doubt Garza makes it to NYY in waivers, otherwise I'd say Garza to NYY and both of the prospects to MIL. That could easily happen in the offseason if this doesn't happen in August.

I highly doubt Garza makes it to NYY in waivers, otherwise I'd say Garza to NYY and both of the prospects to MIL. That could easily happen in the offseason if this doesn't happen in August.

I can't even see the Yankees claiming Garza and taking on the rest of his contract. There are almost certainly going to be better, cheaper options for them to fill out their rotation with than Garza given the financial implications. Sure, they like to spend money, and while some of their moves end up looking like they're throwing money away, they at least make sense at the time. This just doesn't.

Lohse at least only has one year left, but if the Brewers could rid themselves of either pitcher at this point, I think they'd be happy to do so and wouldn't even bother asking for anything in return.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

If the Yankees could get back Cano for Sabathia and Drew, they aren't going to need Brewers in deal and there's numerous better pitching options they could go after than Lohse. If they want Lohse, they can just wait for him to be released.

Lohse has negative trade value. His release is long overdue.

There are almost certainly going to be better, cheaper options for them to fill out their rotation with than Garza given the financial implications.

Name them.

I'm sure the Yankees have some AAAA pitcher that can put up the same 5.0 ERA (assuming some improvement from Garza) that Garza will put up for the rest of this season, and for minimum wage to boot.

I can see a team taking Garza in the offseason, gambling on some kind of comeback to norms, but not a team this season that is in a pennant chase.

I'm not sure why you doubt Garza would make it to New York on waivers. It's far more likely that he would go unclaimed. If any team were to claim Garza on waivers in August, I would not pull him back. I would let him go free and clear and walk away from the remainder of his contract.

Marginal players with bloated contracts don't get claimed in August. Sometimes good players with bloated contracts don't get claimed. No GM wants to be stuck with what is looking like will be a bad contract.

There are almost certainly going to be better, cheaper options for them to fill out their rotation with than Garza given the financial implications.

Name them.

If they just need Garza's production, they can just promote Caleb Cothem or Nick Goody from their AAA team and get that for basically no cost.

GMs make baffling moves at times, but none would likely be so foolish as to take on $40M in salary from an underperforming and marginal vet just to fill a few starts in September.

The name Cano in this already makes this idea laughable. In no way can I imagine Cano and Lohse being included in the same sentence to make a waiver wire trade occur. Burgos as well.

Why now would the Yankees willingly take Cano's contract when he blows this season, and not given him that 10yr extension when he was AS worthy? That's a forever non movable contract. Sabathia still has a year or 2 left on his contract. It's like Hmm 24+mil contracts and oh yeah Lohse with his measly 11mil expiring contract and some Burgos guy, lets get those two names involved.

Come on LouisEly I like your posts, this one is a farce though.

Why now would the Yankees willingly take Cano's contract when he blows this season

I appreciate the compliment, but apparently you didn't read the reasoning of why the Yankees would do that. As I mentioned, even if he "blows", he's a heckuva lot better than what they have going on at 2B right now, his numbers would almost certainly increase significantly going to Yankee stadium from Safeco, and he's a lot better value for the same salary than Sabathia is. If the Yanks are going to pay $25M to someone, Cano is a lot better value than Sabathia.

And it's the Yankees. They care about winning, not payroll.

If they just need Garza's production, they can just promote Caleb Cothem or Nick Goody from their AAA team and get that for basically no cost.

Small problem - both of those guys are relievers. Cothem was an awful starter - worse numbers at AAA last year than Garza's abnormal 2015 - and hasn't started a game this year. Goody has started all of four games in his minor league career.

Seriously, this is way more ridiculous than anything I suggested.

Small problem - both of those guys are relievers. Cothem was an awful starter - worse numbers at AAA last year than Garza's abnormal 2015 - and hasn't started a game this year. Goody has started all of four games in his minor league career.

Seriously, this is way more ridiculous than anything I suggested.

First of all, you know who else was an awful starter at AAA this year? Taylor Jungmann. Second of all, you're missing the point entirely. It doesn't have to be Cothem or Goody. The point is, they have internal options that they can use to cover the remaining 2 months of the season. Guys can still come up here and have success in limited time. Even if they don't, we know Garza isn't have success this year and there's no reason to think that moving to the more hitter-friendly league will result in better numbers for him.

You asked us to name guys, I offered a couple names. If you don't like those names, fine. It's kind of hard to give you names when we don't know who is going to be placed on waivers, but there are going to be better options than Garza. If not, trust me, suggesting the Yankees will go with an internal option is a lot less ridiculous than the idea that even the Yankees are going to take on a bad $40M contract just for 10 starts this year from a guy who hasn't been good this year anyway. And it's way, way less ridiculous than the idea that offering up our junk to the Yankees and involving Jack Z is going to get us off the hook on the remainder of the Lohse contract.

Also, the idea that the Yankees don't care about money just isn't true. Just because they have more to spend than anyone doesn't mean that they just have unlimited payroll and don't care about money. If they did, they would blow any other offer for any FA out of the water if they really wanted a guy, and they would have kept Cano in the first place like someone else already pointed out. They still can and will put their franchise in the gutter if they don't do proper risk/reward analysis on their contracts and they're not going to pay $40M for a short-term marginal upgrade for a 5+ ERA starter.

Archived