Brewer Fanatic

The Future of Jon Lucroy

clancyphile
It's kindve simple. If the front office/MA is going to try to compete next year and the year after and actually go at a playoff spot then go after a shorter extension or let him play out his deal. If they are doing an actual rebuild and are looking to compete in 2017, then trade his butt and get some more serious prospect pieces for the future. Same with Braun and the rest of them.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the plan is to trade him, given his very reasonable contract a lot more than just contending teams will want in on him, so it would be better to shop him in the offseason than at the deadline. Fewer buyers at the deadline, harder to get 3-team deals done.

I truly believe that in order to fully rebuild this franchise, Lucroy and Peralta will need to be traded.

The Gomez and Parra trades were great and have once again made the farm system relevant by adding 4-5 guys who will likely have an impact at the MLB level in the next 2-3 years. A top draft pick in 2016 will also help.

However, if the Brewers want to compete with the cards and the cubs I believe both Lucroy and Peralta will need to be dealt. The system needs some impact pitching and insurance against some inevitable busts.

If done right, Lucroy and Peralta trades could get the Brewers another 3-4 top 100 prospects. Such a haul would put this franchise back where they were in 2006. That is, on the verge of another 5-6 year window.

If we don't keep Luc who in the minors would take his place (Maldy is a nice defensive catcher but not one I'd want to be the regular starter)?

Sign Alex Avila. Turns 29 and coming off down year so might get him for less. Adds a lefty bat in our lineup. Allows Maldonado to face lefties if we want. He's a guy that gets on base well and it pretty solid as a catcher.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If we don't keep Luc who in the minors would take his place (Maldy is a nice defensive catcher but not one I'd want to be the regular starter)?

If we are trading Lucroy, Gomez, etc, then we are not trying to win over the next couple of seasons. Rather, we are trying to accumulate enough young talent that we can hopefully field a good team a few seasons down the road. In that scenario, Maldonado is perfectly fine as the everyday catcher. A good defensive catcher with some experience is actually a good thing, as he can help out the young pitchers.

The big picture is figuring out who will be the everyday catcher in a few years, and that can be said about every position on the field. Trading valuable guys like Lucroy can help tremendously in this regard, as he should be able to bring back multiple talented prospects, hopefully filling several positions on future rosters.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think Luc's future should be flexible. We shouldn't say 'we are trading him' or 'we won't ever trade him' - the club needs to assess the situation as it progresses. If someone blows us away with a trade offer, then great, make the move. If not, the team is going to hang on to him - at least for now.

Personally, I think the team should be looking to deal guys if the right offer comes along - Luc, Peralta, Lind, Segura, Cotts - guys with three or less years of control aren't going to be part of our next good team (in my opinion), so move them when the right offer is put on the table.

With Luc, it's tough because you have to have a team that really needs him as well as a team that has what we want in return (young talent). So the Brewers just need to be flexible, bide their time, and wait for the right offer. The off season might be the best opportunity as clubs aren't just looking to fill a hole in the roster like they are at mid-season. They're looking at their roster holistically, which makes Luc a viable option for more teams. Also, you can craft multi-team trades more easily during this time period.

Milwaukee's recent trades have revealed they want to 'contend' sooner than later. It's something that worries me - and something I hate. It's the 'major league ready' crap that hamstrings a club's thinking process. The Zach Davies trade is a perfect example - a back of the rotation guy at AAA instead of a guy with higher upside at A ball or wherever. The team wants guys to contribute now - but that limits your upside. With this in mind, it makes me think they'll hang on to Lucroy as long as possible (as well as Lind). I just find this frustrating because a #5 starter in 2016 isn't going to make us a playoff team, but a #3 starter in 2018 might. But that's just me.

Two months to go, if Lucroy holds where he's at, or gets worse, it will be hard to trade him and get the value back you really should. We can talk all we want about career numbers, but teams just aren't going to throw a great package at you for an aging catcher that is coming off a bad year at the plate.

With that said, if someone does...you take it. Otherwise you hope he has a good year next year and then trade him when his value is higher. Same story with Segura really. Even Peralta and Davis. All these guys have very reasonable salaries, no rush to trade them- but probably should if they get hot.

Milwaukee's recent trades have revealed they want to 'contend' sooner than later. It's something that worries me - and something I hate. It's the 'major league ready' crap that hamstrings a club's thinking process. The Zach Davies trade is a perfect example - a back of the rotation guy at AAA instead of a guy with higher upside at A ball or wherever. The team wants guys to contribute now - but that limits your upside. With this in mind, it makes me think they'll hang on to Lucroy as long as possible (as well as Lind). I just find this frustrating because a #5 starter in 2016 isn't going to make us a playoff team, but a #3 starter in 2018 might. But that's just me.

I'm not sure Davies is just a #5. He might not have ace stuff, but he knows how to pitch. The comparison has been Fiers, who may have had #5 stuff, but his numbers have for the most part been #3 or better. Also A-ball guy who profiles as a #3 has a pretty high chance of being nothing. The only A-ball guys worth trading for are the really top prospect types that aren't going to be had for a two months of Parra.

The Brewers obviously are rebuilding but at the same time they are trying to prevent attendance from slipping over multiple years. The talent they acquired along with many of their better prospects are all within one to two year of the major leagues.

They are okay with not contending in 2016 and perhaps 2017, but I don't think they are okay with chasing fans away either. What creates some excitement without winning? Starting to see young talented players joining the roster. I think we'll see some in 2016 and nearly all of the top guys at AA and above by 2017 with the prospects currently in the lower levels more likely to be used for trades down the road to flesh out the roster for 2018 when they hope to back competing. They could try and extend Lucroy (his cost is trending down) or they could deal for a catcher for 2018 using their farm system. They are short in some positions in the minors, with catching the most notable.

He obviously is asking to be traded......@ReviewngTheBrew: Lucroy today on @1057FMTheFan:

"I'm not looking to rebuild for two years. I want to win."

#Brewers #BrewersRebuild

Wow. Gotta think this is a problem.

I understand wanting to win but I am no longer a fan of Lucroy. Shut your mouth and hit.

Hopefully he hits in the second half and Melvin can send him packing this winter.

The Brewers obviously are rebuilding but at the same time they are trying to prevent attendance from slipping over multiple years.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but if this is true that is an awful way to rebuild. Hang on to a couple vets for nostalgia, bring up some prospects to generate excitement....that's a recipe for disaster.

Prospects should be brought up when they're ready, they shouldn't be pushed up to sell tickets. I do understand this is a small market, tans they can't afford to be horrible for 7 years or something like that. But they need to make the right moves at the right times the next two years, regardless of W/L record or fan attendance.

Finally, we need to remember there is a floor in ticket sales. No matter how bad they are, they will draw 2MM fans a year. Bobble heads, ticket deals, kiss the dog day, whatever.

The hot new thing is this pitch framing business. I believe there is something to it but it's effect has been greatly exaggerated. Either way, the point is that skill shouldn't diminish with age. The bat will. Some team is going to buy into pitch framing hard and want Lucroy bad. Heck, the Rays gave Ryan Hannigan a pointless extension based on it. Find that team and make a deal. ASAP.

How many solid catchers one year removed from a year like his will be available?

Good question. I'm not saying he's un-tradeable by any means. But after the season he's having, I just can't imagine anyone throwing top prospects at the Brewers for him. It's reasonable to assume he has a few years left of "good" hitting, but now there is doubt.

The pitch framing and other catching metrics are in vogue, but much of that is so subjective. There will be a team(s) that want Lucroy. Very reasonable contract, veteran catcher, likely can hit better than he did this year. Just asking to lower expectations for what you expect back.

He obviously is asking to be traded......@ReviewngTheBrew: Lucroy today on @1057FMTheFan:

"I'm not looking to rebuild for two years. I want to win."

#Brewers #BrewersRebuild

Link? Sounds like old news being drudged up again.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

He was on the radio today.

When you listen it doesn't come across as bad as the quote makes it look. He hates losing( I imagine they all do). Said he has 2 years left on his contract so he doesn't want to lose for 2 more years...he wants to win next year and he is hoping that the guys they got in the trades are ready to help sooner then later.

He is clearly frustrated by how the last 2 seasons have gone and is embarrassed(his word) by his own play this season. At the end of the interview he basically says being a baseball player isn't fun and if you didn't get paid a lot it wouldn't be worth it.

Could be just the frustration boiling over......http://media.1057fmthefan.com/a/107990120/08-04-15-jonathan-lucroy-joins-the-bill-michaels-show.htm

Finally, we need to remember there is a floor in ticket sales. No matter how bad they are, they will draw 2MM fans a year. Bobble heads, ticket deals, kiss the dog day, whatever.

They drew 1.7 million in 2003. If 2015 continues at/gets back to the win-loss pace of April, I wouldn't consider a sub-2 million gate in 2016 impossible.

I listened to Luc's interview (http://media.1057fmthefan.com/a/107990120/08-04-15-jonathan-lucroy-joins-the-bill-michaels-show.htm) this afternoon and didn't feel slighted by it. He sounded ginormously frustrated, which given how things have been lately makes sense to me. Frankly, I'd rather hear players speak plainly than all in cliches.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived