Brewer Fanatic

Braun- looking like second half 2014

rickh150
Does anyone know exactly when Ryan's no trade clause kicks in? Is it the last day of the season, after the World Series, or maybe as late as Opening Day?

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I remembered him kind of complaining for a trade earlier this year but now Crawford has been hurt so he's actually been playing. Crawford would make more sense, two years left on his deal and basically useless at this point. Could probably backup all 3 positions for us so we at least get some use out of him. Personally, I'm fine with just keeping Braun but i think Dodgers is the most likely option for a trade since they don't care about money at all and he's from there.

Does anyone know exactly when Ryan's no trade clause kicks in? Is it the last day of the season, after the World Series, or maybe as late as Opening Day?

limited no-trade clause 2014-15 (may block deals to 6 clubs)

limited no-trade protection 2016 - 2020 allowing Braun to block deals to all clubs except LA Angels, LA Dodgers, Miami, Tampa Bay and Washington

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

limited no-trade clause 2014-15 (may block deals to 6 clubs)

limited no-trade protection 2016 - 2020 allowing Braun to block deals to all clubs except LA Angels, LA Dodgers, Miami, Tampa Bay and Washington

Good job. That's interesting. Sounds like he wouldn't mind being an LA guy again.

Yasmani Grandal for the Dodgers was a PED guy, I think in the same thing as Braun but I could be wrong. Difference is he's young and doesn't have a big salary. I can't think of any known guys with big contracts that were traded. But really there has been enough successful FA signings of guys that the fear has to be slowly going away.

The way to do it would be to take back a Crawford or Ethier type contract from that so the financial burden isn't as bad, just like how Reyes went to Colo.

The Dodgers make by far the most sense in a Braun trade scenario. They bailed the Red Sox out of the Crawford/Gonzalez/Beckett debacle and it worked out well enough for LA that I dont think they would hesitate to do something like that again.

Carl Crawford would have to be something the Brewers might have to agree to take back. He is due 20 million in 2016 and 2017. Fortunately his contract is a wash with Ryan Braun's 2016 and 2017 salary, so a swap based upon those two as a starting point would be financially viable for both teams.

Based on those two players alone there really is no reason for the Brewers to make that trade though, so it would need to be expanded to help both teams now and the future. How about an off season trade of:

Dodgers trade Carl Crawford (2 years/20 million per year through 2017) and Yasiel Puig (Controlled through 2019 at cost of 9mil in '18, arb eligible in 19)

Brewers trade Ryan Baun (20 million per year through 2020) and Matt Garza (12.5 mil through '17) and Brewers retain some of Garza's salary.

I keep hearing the Dodgers are ready to move on from Puig for one reason or another, and Garza would fill the Josh Beckett/Carl Crawford role of that 2012 Red Sox Trade, being somewhat serviceable dead money that needs to be taken on to get Braun.

Brewers are going to stink in 2015 and 2016. My hope is that they can be team on the rise by 2017 and contend in 2018 and 2019, when Puig is still around and Crawford is off the books.

I wouldn't want anything to do with Puig. If he's good there's no chance he'll stick long term and most importantly there's reports that his teammates can't stand him. It's one thing when someone is cocky and opposing teams seem to dislike (say Bryce Harper) it's another when your teammates don't like you and that it's bad enough that reports are getting out about it.

Puig is controllable through 2019 from what I can tell. Only way to get longer control than that is to trade for someone with close to no major league service time - and no guarantee that they can or would produce close to what Puig offers. My sense is that he is wearing out his welcome because he "doesnt play the game the right way" That's fine, I will take a guy who plays the wrong way but has the ability to put up a .900 OPS for the next 4 seasons.

Also, if the Brewers continue to tank, which seems likely, a deal like I proposed above might be possible in August as the only player of the 4 I mentioned who would be claimed would be Puig and if the Brewers have the worst record they wouldnt have to worry about any other team claiming him.

Puig is controllable through 2019 from what I can tell. Only way to get longer control than that is to trade for someone with close to no major league service time - and no guarantee that they can or would produce close to what Puig offers. My sense is that he is wearing out his welcome because he "doesnt play the game the right way" That's fine, I will take a guy who plays the wrong way but has the ability to put up a .900 OPS for the next 4 seasons.

Also, if the Brewers continue to tank, which seems likely, a deal like I proposed above might be possible in August as the only player of the 4 I mentioned who would be claimed would be Puig and if the Brewers have the worst record they wouldnt have to worry about any other team claiming him.

Id take Puig but Id flip him later that day for prospects/3 way trade. He is a great talent but everything I have read suggests he is not a rebuild cornerstone player.

Id take Puig but Id flip him later that day for prospects/3 way trade. He is a great talent but everything I have read suggests he is not a rebuild cornerstone player.

I had proposed Puig for Braun a couple weeks back after the news of the Dodgers growing sour with him came out. I think that's a good starting point and some other players would need to be involved. No one (outside of St. Louis) would care about any of his antics in Milwaukee. He could also probably be flipped for prospects in a year or two.

I think it comes down to when do the Brewers plan on competing again. If the Brewers are thinking that this rebuild will take 5 years, then Puig isnt the answer. However, as the game continues to skew toward younger players playing a larger role post-PED testing, I believe if they do it right they can compete after a 3 year rebuild, leaving a 27/28 year old Puig as a cornerstone in 2018/2019 seasons.

And I agree about his "antics" who cares, what are we the Cardinals now?

I had proposed Puig for Braun a couple weeks back after the news of the Dodgers growing sour with him came out. I think that's a good starting point and some other players would need to be involved. No one (outside of St. Louis) would care about any of his antics in Milwaukee. He could also probably be flipped for prospects in a year or two.

I don't think it's his antics on the field that is the problem, otherwise he'd be just like Gomez essentially. From what I understand his teammates just can't stand him and he's basically a jerk behind the scenes. Smoke like this usually means there is fire. Lawrie is a good example that we're familiar with, seems like he's ruffled feathers everywhere he's gone.

1). Braun is not Tulowitski. Tulowitski is one of the top shortstops in the game. Braun is an average to slightly above average RFer. Tulo has excess value in his contract. Braun is liekly jsut worth what he is making given the number of deferrals in his pay. So no, the Tulo trade is not a starting point.

2). The Dodgers have the remains of Crawford's contract to send back to the Brewers but corner OF is the last position they need. They have Ethier, Van Slyke, Puig, Hernandez, and Guerrero splitting time already over 2 positions. And if they want to get rid of Puig they can get something they would actually want instead of Braun.

Don't look now but he's heating up again.

Ya, the last three games he's had 11 plate appearances, and he's gotten on base 8 times. 6 hits (4 of them doubles) and 2 walks.

He's not quitting.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Don't look now but he's heating up again.

Ya, the last three games he's had 11 plate appearances, and he's gotten on base 8 times. 6 hits (4 of them doubles) and 2 walks.

He's not quitting.

I'd still love to see him pull with more power, but I think I'm just being a little too greedy there. He's taking some walks and really hitting the ball hard. I'll take that any day of the week.

1). Braun is not Tulowitski. Tulowitski is one of the top shortstops in the game. Braun is an average to slightly above average RFer. Tulo has excess value in his contract. Braun is liekly jsut worth what he is making given the number of deferrals in his pay. So no, the Tulo trade is not a starting point.

2). The Dodgers have the remains of Crawford's contract to send back to the Brewers but corner OF is the last position they need. They have Ethier, Van Slyke, Puig, Hernandez, and Guerrero splitting time already over 2 positions. And if they want to get rid of Puig they can get something they would actually want instead of Braun.

Braun is nowhere near average. It was difficult to continue reading after that. Check your facts. TT is injury prone. He plays a physically demanding position and is paid a ton for a spot where it's questionable that he can be durable to stay there. The Dodgers could use right handed power, and other teams could be involved. Beyond that, comparing Braun to the likes of Van Slyke is high comedy. Braun is producing without a ton of high average guys on base in front of him and pitchers being careful with him. I have mlb package and watch other team's broadcasts to get a sense of what other team's local broadcasters say about our players. They overwhelmingly highly respect Braun and routinely say " you have to be careful with Braun here" even with Lind next. Put him in a better lineup, and his good numbers are better, especially rbi. No, he's not average. That's a statement that discards credibility.

Either has played ok this year but they've had no problems benching him the last two seasons and have been looking to trade him for a while. If you're paying him 15mil why not pay Braun 20 instead, they don't care about money.

Average isn't 8th most HRs and RBIs for OFs in MLB. That's playing on a crap team in the NL and including an atrocious April, from May on he's been very good. If I'm another team I want to see him finish the year the same he's played since May and to finish healthy before I'd pull the trigger. Of course he isn't what he was but he's still way above average in this light hitting era. I wish he was pulling for more HRs but the only pitches he gets are high inside heat and anything low outside. If someone hangs a slider/curve he usually crushes it to left. A big OF in LA could actually be better for him now too that he's not as much of a HR hitter. Though many fans would rip him for say only hitting 22 HRs in LA but his avg and doubles should go up in a bigger OF.

Yea when I went through I noticed most of the best guys are in RF this year. Harper and Stanton skew those stats a tad. Any RF can play LF but I just counted up all OF when I ran through it. Pederson and Trout are CF and all the rest above BRaun are RF. No LF which is kind of surprising. And the site I was on counted Nelly Cruz at RF though I assume he's been playing a lot of DH.

The average batting lines over the last 12 years is interesting.

2015 .253 .314 .398 .713

2014 .251 .314 .386 .700

2013 .253 .317 .396 .714

2012 .254 .319 .405 .724

2011 .255 .320 .399 .719

2010 .257 .325 .403 .728

2009 .262 .333 .418 .750

2008 .264 .333 .416 .749

2007 .268 .336 .422 .758

2006 .269 .336 .432 .768

2005 .264 .330 .419 .749

2004 .266 .335 .428 .763

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

And that's what we forget sometimes when evaluating a player's performance. Our minds are locked into OPS that was 40-50 points higher for many years. Without even thinking about, we see someone with a .700 OPS and think that's pretty awful.

I've noticed this is especially true at the high end. Only 13 players in MLB have an OPS over .900 (and 3 are barely at .900)

Very true. I noticed something at the Brewers/Cubs games over the weekend too. Kris Bryant is deservedly getting so much hype and people think he's killing it. 789 OPS, I kept thinking I was missing a number and it was 889 but I wasn't. Braun is at 842 and slugging over 60 points higher.

Very true. I noticed something at the Brewers/Cubs games over the weekend too. Kris Bryant is deservedly getting so much hype and people think he's killing it. 789 OPS, I kept thinking I was missing a number and it was 889 but I wasn't. Braun is at 842 and slugging over 60 points higher.

Bryant started out like gang busters, OPS'ing near .900 his first couple months but cooled down to .800 in June and tanked in July to sub .700. People are only remembering the way he started.

Archived