Brewer Fanatic

Blue Jays designate Danny Valencia for assignment

Per D.J Short of Hardballtalk

Should the Crew go after him? Can play 1st, RF, and LF... Valencia has been very productive in a part-time role this season, batting .296/.331/.506 with seven home runs and 29 RBI over 58 games while mostly playing against left-handed pitching.

A platoon with Lind?

More importantly, he's a 3B by trade (that's what he came up as with the Twins) and it's clear there's no functional long-term plan there yet.

I don't love the guy, but he's hitting better this year than anyone else we've got for 3B (yes, I know Perez's MIL numbers are good, but the I'm thinking of his year overall and his recent tailing off a little bit).

One of the advantages the Brewers have is using their waiver claim position to grab players who teams don't have room for. The Blue Jays, like some oher teams, just added some players and as a result are going to have to 40 man pressure. Valencia is 30 years old, but cheap and can hit a little. Not a bad guy to bring in and fill out the roster. My guess is they'll just go with Perez, Herrera, etc. and try to focus on young, controllable palyers.

30 year olds who aren't blocking anyone definitely are part of rebuilding teams, you have playing to treat as an asset to try and let guys build value for other teams. That said I'd want to be careful and think through the implications because we are trying to see if Domingues and Perez can develop as well.

Valencia is the perfect type of low cost veteran they should look at to fill out their roster and rid themselves of career minor league guys like Herrera and Hector Gomez.

There's no reason to not at least try to put a decent lineup on the field as they await the arrival of the heralded young players.

Perez needs to get an opportunity but there's no reason not to fit a vet in there too. Valencia can play some 3B, platoon some at 2B and 1B.

With Elian Herrera & Hernan Perez already on the roster, Danny Valencia sure seems like a far better fit on this roster than Hector Gomez, whose recent stats include these points of "productivity":

- 0 for his last 10

- 1 for his last 17

- 6 for his last 46

- 23 for 125 on the season for a stunning .184 BA

H. Gomez is reaching levels of non-production that are approaching Mark Reynolds' 2nd half last year, though of course minus any trace of power.

So....lets pick up a 30 year old career part timer (he IS a great platoon player) who has zero place in our future so he can block a couple of minor leaguers who need a shot so we can see if there is anything there. One has big power in his bat and could be a good starter if he put it all together (Dominguez).

Makes total sense to me...lets pick Valencia up immediately for the playoff push!!!! Sigh

And if Valencia puts up a season like Lind? Just because the major league team is currently living Logan's Run doesn't mean it is silly to play anyone over 30. Dominguez for example needs to show he can hit AAA first. Perez could potential still find very regular ABs with Valencia around. Rogers would be less certain perhaps, but he's only a little younger then Valencia and I could certainly see Valencia as having a slightly higher ceiling.

The problem isn't Dominguez or Herrera or Perez. The problem is Hector Gomez is terrible and Valencia is a capable, reasonably productive 3B. I'd rather play someone who can actually play there than continue to have Gomez taking up a spot needlessly on the 25-man roster.

And if Valencia puts up a season like Lind? Just because the major league team is currently living Logan's Run doesn't mean it is silly to play anyone over 30. Dominguez for example needs to show he can hit AAA first. Perez could potential still find very regular ABs with Valencia around. Rogers would be less certain perhaps, but he's only a little younger then Valencia and I could certainly see Valencia as having a slightly higher ceiling.

Valencia and Lind aren't even in the same stratosphere. We know precisely what Valencia is, and barring a miracle what he will be. And that player is definitely NOT part of the next wave of Brewer players.

Dominguez has the opportunity to be a part of the next wave. Same with Perez. We need to see these kids, and see them often. No room for Valencia type players until the next wave is here & THEN we fill with utility guys like Valencia.

And Valencia could fill in generate some production and get turned into a real prospect. Age is largely irrelevant in judging which of a wide variety of cast off options could be useful to the future. Certainly wave thinking, while great in physics and chemistry is too cute by half in baseball given that the Astros, Cubs, and Twins all got into contention a year earlier then projected. As a guy with some experience already and positional flexibility it sure looks like we could get him lots of ABs within the next year without hurting anyone else's playing time who has earned it (again Dominguez is fine as a project, but he hasn't done anything in AAA to warrant moving up). If a better option becomes available by all means grab, but once a guy gets past prospect age (lets call it 25) there is no inherent preference for a rebuilding team to giving a retread a shot vs. looking at a AAAA guy. Its all about scouting and coaching who do you think has the best chance to do something they haven't done before?

Valencia was claimed by the A's.

Still wouldn't be a bad pickup for 2016. Yes they are rebuilding, but that doesn't mean you can't have a relatively inexpensive proven major leaguer on your roster capable of filling in several spots or bailing out a lesser prospect like Perez that proves to be in over his head. Counsell himself did that in 2004 while they waited on JJ Hardy and eased in Bill Hall. They have a couple guys in Perez and perhaps Dominguez they might want to look at, but neither fall into top prospect 3B of the future category.

Hector Gomez and Herrera are guys who can be carried when the everyday lineup is pretty well set and they don't have to play a lot. In a rebuilding situation, the last thing you need are 30 year old career minor leaguers getting frequent starts.

Archived