Brewer Fanatic

Cespedes to Mets

jjkoestler

I had MLB network on for this. All 3 guys said they'd rather have Cespedes to finish this season than Gomez and acted like it wasn't even close. Harold's reason was because he won the home run derby in their home park. Another called him a professional hitter, which I'm used to hear around good contact hitting types.

I thought it was an interesting question but I think I'd go with Gomez, thoughts? I'm not an expert on Cespedes so I'm not really sure on his D but I doubt it's Gomez's world.

From the updated link in the lead post:

GM Sandy Alderson says the Mets will pay all of the approximately $3.75MM remaining on Cespedes’ 2015 salary, David Lennon of Newsday tweets.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Really good haul for the Tigers for a couple months of Cespedes.

Would you rather have those two pitching prospects or Wheeler/Flores? I think I'd lean towards Wheeler but I could probably be talked into the prospects on account of Wheeler not being able to pitch a full season until 2017 and I believe he's a FA after 2019. So even if he is healthy and good again you'll only have him 3 years. I suppose you could trade him his last year though for a good batch of prospects if he's good again though. The top guy seems like he'll be up next year and you'd have full control and maybe a year or two into it you could buy out a couple years of his arbitration if he looks good.

Would you rather have those two pitching prospects or Wheeler/Flores? I think I'd lean towards Wheeler but I could probably be talked into the prospects on account of Wheeler not being able to pitch a full season until 2017 and I believe he's a FA after 2019. So even if he is healthy and good again you'll only have him 3 years. I suppose you could trade him his last year though for a good batch of prospects if he's good again though. The top guy seems like he'll be up next year and you'd have full control and maybe a year or two into it you could buy out a couple years of his arbitration if he looks good.

Honestly would've preferred Wheeler and just take out Flores and replace him with Fulmer if possible.

Honestly would've preferred Wheeler and just take out Flores and replace him with Fulmer if possible.

Exactly.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Well yea I'd do that too but that would be the best of both worlds, don't think that was an option. Seemed the choice was Flores or that CF with the contract.

This. Melvin can't force the other team to do something they don't want to do.

If they were willing to deal Wheeler and did trade Fulmer, I'm willing to bet that trading both was an option if we wanted it. We just wanted Flores for some reason.

Well yea I'd do that too but that would be the best of both worlds, don't think that was an option. Seemed the choice was Flores or that CF with the contract.

If they were willing to deal Wheeler and did trade Fulmer, I'm willing to bet that trading both was an option if we wanted it. We just wanted Flores for some reason.

Arcia's service clock.

It's a question of whether Arcia is a free agent in 2021 (if he's the OD 2016 SS) or 2022 (if he's OD 2017).

Arcia's service clock.

It's a question of whether Arcia is a free agent in 2021 (if he's the OD 2016 SS) or 2022 (if he's OD 2017).

What? The middle infield is still covered by Segura and Gennett and since we're rebuilding, if we really wanted to save Arcia's clock we could just call up Rivera or start Perez or Herrera at SS. It's not like we're going to be winning anything, so it doesn't really matter if they suck.

No that is not true. Flores was coming back so that the Mets payroll wouldn't go up too much. And the Wilpons still rejected the payroll increase.

No that is not true. Flores was coming back so that the Mets payroll wouldn't go up too much. And the Wilpons still rejected the payroll increase.

Flores is making $513,543 this year and the season is 60% over meaning he's getting paid about $200,000 the rest of the year. The money involved in that is zero factor. You're making it sound like he's making $5 million or something.

It's entirely possible that after the Gomez fiasco the Mets felt painted into more of a corner on trying to get a deal done. It's also entirely possible in their bizzaro world that Cespedes not being on the books next year made him worth more (which is kind of silly given that I'm sure even this year's non-MVP version of Gomez is worth at least 15 million a year)

Flores is making $513,543 this year and the season is 60% over meaning he's getting paid about $200,000 the rest of the year. The money involved in that is zero factor. You're making it sound like he's making $5 million or something.

It is still a valid point with all of the information that we have received. The Mets were desperately trying to keep the cost down on acquiring Gomez both now and in the future. The Mets wanted the Brewers to pay for some of Gomez salary, include the competitive pick, or take on Lagares.

The cost savings wasn't for this season it was for beyond this season. While Cespedes actually costs more this year than Gomez would. I do believe the Brewers wanted Flores though but on the Mets side they were trying to save as much money as they could not just for this season but for the next season and beyond. Plus I don't think the Mets were going to give up both Wheeler and Fulmer in one trade and it was take your pick either Wheeler or Fulmer and another player or go find someone else to deal with it. I think the Reds had the same problem with the Mets as the Brewers did in trying to trade Bruce to the Mets.

Archived