Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Friday 7/31

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Friday's Daily Menu: TGIF!

All times are Central

Colorado Springs: TBD at New Orleans (Marlins), 6:30 PM pre-game, 7:00 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

We welcome Dan Karcher, who is the longtime play-by-play voice of the Sky Sox; follow him on Twitter @SkySoxKarch

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; all Colorado Springs games, home and away, will be available to watch via MiLB.TV's $49.99 season-long package ($12.99 to pay for a single month). The audio feed is from the home team. The video of each game is archived online, which is a nice feature. All MiLB.TV details available at the link.

NOTE: Notice that on MiLB.TV's page, you can click on "Filter", then "Milwaukee Brewers", and you'll see just the Crew's organizational TV lineup.

Biloxi: RHP Tyler Wagner and LHP Hobbs Johnson in a doubleheader at home vs. Jackson (Mariners), 5:55 PM pre-game, 6:10 gametime; each contest slated for seven innings

Free Live Audio Link

We also welcome Chris Harris as the very first play-by-play voice of the Shuckers! Follow Chris on Twitter @CHarris731. We'll be linking to his fantastic "Shuck Dynasty" blog. All games, home and away, are scheduled to be radio broadcast.

MiLB.TV - Eight of the ten Southern League teams telecast their home games, and Biloxi is among them!

Brevard County: RHP Cy Sneed at Jupiter (Marlins), 5:35 gametime

Free Live Audio Link - This is the Hammerheads' feed

No Florida State League games are available via MiLB.TV.

Wisconsin: RHP Angel Ventura at Quad Cities (Astros), 6:40 PM pre-game, 7:00 gametime

Free Live Audio Link - WNAM

Chris Mehring is back to do his customary fantastic work as the Voice of the Rattlers. Follow him on Twitter @CMehring; we'll link to Chris' infamous blog often -- Rattler Radio.

NOTE: Forty-two (!) of the Rattlers' 70 home games will be broadcast on TV this season. Time Warner Cable SportsChannel (9) and WACY-TV My NEW32 (34) will split duties. We'll let you know when and who, and remember to refer to the Rattlers' full TV schedule (scroll to bottom of link) so you can coordinate your DVR activity.

So, for the $49.95 season-long package, fans in Brewer Nation can watch all Sky Sox games, most Shuckers games, and all Timber Rattlers home games and some road games.

NOTE: This series in Quad Cities is available via MiLB.TV (River Bandits' feed)

Helena: LHP Christian Trent at Great Falls (White Sox), 7:40 PM pre-game, 8:00 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

We welcome back and again look forward to hearing second-year Voice of the H-Crew Dustin Daniel (@dustin__daniel on Twitter).

MiLB.TV -- When the H-Crew makes their way to Idaho Falls in August, those games will be available to watch online.

Arizona Rookie (Maryvale): at home vs. the Diamondbacks' kids, 9:00 PM gametime; never audio for games in this league

DSL Brewers: at home vs. the DSL Mets #2 squad, 9:30 AM, although game data won't be available until later in the day

We'll link to this Dominican Summer League Brewers' thread as part of the Daily Menu all season to assist you with your familiarity with these young men.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Helena Top of the 3rd

Pitching Change: Braulio Ortiz replaces Tanner Banks.

Joantgel Segovia reaches on a missed catch error by pitcher Braulio Ortiz, assist to first baseman Nick Parent.

Steven Karkenny strikes out swinging. Joantgel Segovia steals (3) 2nd base.

Offensive Substitution: Pinch-runner Milan Post replaces Joantgel Segovia.

David Denson grounds out to first baseman Nick Parent. Milan Post to 3rd.

Jake Gatewood strikes out swinging.

The team tweeted that Segovia hurt his ankle.

LINK REPORT THROWBACK MOMENT

***July 6, 2014***

Soon enough we will be enjoying Brett Phillips much anticipated Link Report debut as a member of the Brewers organization. While it may be the first time he captures the attention of Link Report readers far and wide, it won't be the first time Phillips has left his mark on these very pages.

File this under "what a difference a year makes" and turn back the clock to July 6, 2014...

Rattlers fall in game two on a walkoff grand slam

Phillips sends QC 6-4 win and a doubleheader sweep

By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

DAVENPORT, IA - Brett Phillips hit a walkoff grand slam in the bottom of the seventh inning to give the Quad Cities River Bandits a 6-4 win over the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers in game two of Sunday's doubleheader at Modern Woodmen Park. The River Bandits swept the twinbill with a 5-0 win in game one and the walkoff win in game two. Wisconsin starting pitcher Victor Diaz was within two outs of a complete game victory, but the bullpen could not hold on after he came out of the game with two on and one out.

Quad Cities shaved a run off the Wisconsin lead in the bottom of the fifth. James Ramsay tripled to start the inning. A grounder to short by Marc Wik drove in Ramsay to make the score 4-2.

Diaz worked a 1-2-3 sixth and went back out for the bottom of the seventh inning, but allowed a leadoff single to Dayne Parker. Diaz got the first out on a flyball to center. Diaz looked like he would get the second out on a flyball to center off the bat of Ramsay, but the ball was lost in the lights and dropped in for a single. That was the end of the line for Diaz, who was near 100 pitches.

Tyler Spurlin, who picked up the win for the Rattlers in Friday's comeback victory, took over and got ahead of Wik 1-2. But, Wik chopped a single through the left side of the infield to load the bases.

Phillips drove the first pitch of his at bat against Spurlin over the wall in right-center for the walkoff slam and the doubleheader sweep.

Wisconsin Game2 Boxscore

I might be getting too attached to this team, when Chris said the ball left the park I shut off the radio feed instantly in disgust. Speaking of Mehring he mentioned that when new arrivals join the team they have to answer 3 questions on the bus, anyone can ask a question and anything goes. Dustin Demuth was asked how to get Kyle Schwarber out and Demuth answered that it wasn't possible... here's hoping he was very wrong.

VIDEO of the walkoff grand slam

VIDEO of the shaving cream covered Phillips' post-game interview following the big moment

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Final: DSL Mets2 6, DSL Brewers 0

DSL Brewers Box Score

The Brewers were shut out on five hits, losing to the Mets 6-0. Wuilder Rodriguez started and went five innings, allowing three runs and was tagged with the loss. Javier Castillo had the lone multi-hit game, going 2-for-3. Yerison Pena doubled and Dilson Fernandez and Jay Feliciano each added a base hit.

DSL Brewers Game Log

Bandits take early lead to beat Rattlers

By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/8/2/6/125459826/cuts/5_19_Sharkey_Web_bum63bwg_wb6peuh6.jpg

Alan Sharkey had two hits, a walk, and drove in Wisconsin's only run at Quad Cities on Friday night. (Wisconsin Timber Rattlers/Ann Mollica)

DAVENPORT, IA - The Quad Cities River Bandits scored four runs in the second inning and pulled away to defeat the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers 7-1 Friday night at Modern Woodmen Park. The Rattlers were held to one run in their second straight loss.

Drew Ferguson drew a walk to start the bottom of the second inning. Jose Fernandez tripled into the corner in left and the River Bandits (67-36 overall, 22-13 second half) were up 1-0. Wisconsin got the second out and looked to be out of the inning on a grounder to second base, but an error on the play allowed Fernandez to score and Trent Woodward to reach base. Kristian Trompiz really made the Rattlers pay when he followed the error with a two-run homer and Quad Cities went in front 4-0.

Quad Cities added to their lead in the fifth. Wisconsin starting pitcher Angel Ventura appeared to strikeout Jason Martin to end the inning, but the ball got back to the screen on a wild pitch and Martin reached. Nick Tanielu followed with a double to right-center. Martin scored on the play for a 5-0 advantage.

Tanielu knocked in two more runs with a two-out double in the seventh inning against reliever Kodi Medeiros.

Wisconsin (36-68, 13-21) struggled against Hernandez. The Rattlers got four hits off the right-hander, but all four came in four different innings with two outs and none on base. Hernandez struck out eight and walked one over 6-2/3 innings.

The Rattlers scored an unearned run against the Quad Cities bullpen in the eighth. Blake Allemand wound up at second after a dropped flyball to start the inning. Elvis Rubio's infield single and a throwing error on the play let Allemand take third. Alan Sharkey, who had two hits in the game, cracked a single to right to drive in Allemand and send Rubio around to third base. But, the Rattlers wouldn't score again.

Quad Cities is now 9-1 in ten games against the Timber Rattlers in 2015. Wisconsin is 0-4 at Modern Woodmen Park this season.

The Timber Rattlers and River Bandits play game two of their series on Saturday night. David Carver (1-1, 6.55) is the scheduled starting pitcher for the Timber Rattlers. Joshua James (3-2, 3.14) is set to start for Quad Cities. Game time is 6:00pm.

The radio broadcast is on AM1280, WNAM starting with the Miller Lite Pregame Show at 5:40pm. The broadcast may also be heard on Tune In Radio and IHeartRadio. Subscribers to MiLB.TV may watch the game on that platform with the Quad Cities announcers.

HOME RUN:

QC:

Kristian Trompiz (5th, 1 on in 2nd inning off Angel Ventura, 2 out)

WP: Elieser Hernandez (1-1)

LP: Angel Ventura (5-5)

TIME: 2:44

ATTN: 8,207

Wisconsin Boxscore

I've noticed over the course of the season that Angel Ventura doesn't always handle adversity well, and giving up a HR to the 9 hitter immediately after an error speaks to that. In fact, that's the 2nd HR to a 9 hitter the pitching staff has allowed this week. At any rate it was nice to listen to Chris again, I hadn't caught a radio broadcast since last Thursday... You know what else? I like Alan Sharkey as a player even though he's way more of a Mark Grace than Prince Fielder. He might develop some more power as he advances but I don't think he's ever going to hit for a high enough average to matter. Even though I know that, I enjoy watching him play, and I find myself pulling hard for him.

Wisconsin Recap

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Final: Jackson 0, Biloxi 5 (Game One)

Final: Jackson 3, Biloxi 5 (Game Two)

Wagner's complete game one-hitter highlights doublheader sweep

Wagner's game one gem and Victor Roache's big offensive night guide Shuckers

Biloxi Shuckers

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/6/6/8/140277668/cuts/BRP_6672_wzap35hm_l9jr2dxu.JPG

Tyler Wagner dealt a complete game shutout in game one of Friday's twin bill (Benton Reed Photography)

BILOXI, MS - The Biloxi Shuckers took both games of Friday's doubleheader against the Jackson Generals at MGM Park, getting a complete game, one-hit shutout from Tyler Wagner in game one, and four RBI's over the twin bill from Victor Roache, upping his on-base streak in the process to 16 games.

The doubleheader sweep was Biloxi's second-straight dating back to a sweep of Jacksonville on May 18, in Huntsville and the Shuckers have now won five-straight seven inning contests. Friday's twin bill was the first in the young history of MGM Park.

GM 1: Shuckers 5, Generals 0

Both starting pitchers had no-hitters going into the third inning of game one, but it was the Shuckers that broke through on the scoreboard first.

Taylor Green (0x1, RBI, R) became the first Shucker to reach base safely with a leadoff walk in the third, and moved over to second on a sacrifice bunt attempt by Adam Weisenburger (0x1, RBI, R) that was thrown away by Generals' pitcher Stephen Landazuri (0-3), giving Biloxi two base runners with nobody out. Nick Shaw (0x1, R, BB) drew a free pass to load the bases for Nathan Orf (1x3, 2 RBI), who hit a sharp single into left field to plate Green and Weisenburger for a 2-0 lead. A RBI groundout two batters later by Victor Roache (0x2, RBI, R, BB) brought home Shaw for the third run of the inning.

Those three runs would be more than enough for Tyler Wagner (8-5), who dominated Jackson (11-22) on the mound. The Las Vegas Native had a no-hitter going into the sixth, allowing just two base runners on two walks through the first five frames. A single to Tyler Bortnick to start the sixth broke up the no-hit bid, but the runner was erased on a double play.

The 24-year-old righty needed just 90 pitches in the seven-inning complete-game, one-hit shutout, inducing 13 groundouts and striking out five to go along with three walks. The Shuckers have won Wagner's last two starts after dropping his previous three. Wagner also logged his 13th quality start and fifth out of his last six outings. The complete game was Wagner's second (first back on April 11 at Pensacola in a six-inning rain shortened game), making him one of just three to post two this season in the Southern League.

Biloxi (15-17) tacked on another run in the fourth with a sacrifice fly by Weisenburger to score Tyrone Taylor (2x3, R, SB), and added another run in the sixth on a sacrifice fly by Taylor to bring home Roache, who started the frame with a walk to extend his on-base streak to 15 games.

The shutout was the 10th posted by Biloxi this season (10-9 in shutout games) and marked just the second time they had held a club to only one hit. (last April 21 at Jacksonville).

GM 2: Shuckers 5, Generals 3

The Shuckers started the scoring in game two, using back-to-back singles by Orf (2x3, 2 R, 2B) and Orlando Arcia (3x3, R, BB, 2 SB) to put runners on the corners, setting up Roache's (1x4, 3 RBI) RBI groundout to third to bring in Orf from third.

Arcia's perfect game at the plate raised his average six points to put the 20-year-old back at .300 for the season.

Biloxi (16-17) gained insurance with a three-run third to push the lead to 4-0.

Arcia and Nick Ramirez (0x1, R, 3 BB) each drew one-out walks for Roache. Arcia swiped third to put runners on the corners and Roache grounded out, scoring Arcia and advancing Ramirez to second for a two-run advantage. Green (0x3, R, BB) and Taylor (2x2, BB) followed with free passes to load the bases for Josh Fellhauer (1x2, 2 RBI, BB), who delivered with a two-run single to center to open up a four-run lead.

Jackson (11-23) responded with three runs in the fourth to cut the Shuckers' lead to one.

A leadoff walk to Zach Shank scored two outs later on Jordy Lara's sixth triple of the season to put the Generals on the board for the first time on Friday night. A walk to Aderlin Rodriguez put runners on the corners for Jabari Henry, who doubled home both runners with a drive to left before being thrown out trying to extend the play to a triple.

Game-two starter Hobbs Johnson fell an inning short of qualifying for the win in the doubleheader finale. In four innings of work, the southpaw allowed three runs on three hits, two walks and two strikeouts.

Jacob Barnes (3-4) and Mike Strong continued the trend for the Shuckers' bullpen of not allowing any runs to score. The two relievers did not allow a runner to reach base and collected a strikeout each in an inning of work.

Biloxi's bullpen has not allowed a run in the last four games dating back to July 26 in the series finale against the Pensacola Blue Wahoos. In 14.2 innings, the 'pen has given up 12 hits, walked five and struck out 10 in four games.

Roache extended the lead back to two with a two-out, RBI infield single to also extend his on-base streak to 16 games.

Yhonathan Barrios (SV, 2) took the mound in the ninth and gave up a leadoff single to Lara, but the runner was erased trying to advance on a ball in the dirt for the second out of the inning before a double by Henry. The 23-year-old was able to get Bortnick to ground out back to the mound for the final out to finish off the sweep.

Biloxi will look to take its second-consecutive rubber match on Saturday evening at MGM Park, in the finale of the homestand. The Shuckers will send out RHP Jorge Lopez (9-4, 2.72), while the Generals will have LHP Misael Siverio (4-10, 4.50). First pitch is scheduled for 7:10 p.m., with coverage beginning at 6:55 p.m. on 1240-AM WGCM, 1580-AM WPMO and the Biloxi Shuckers Radio Network. Fans can also listen to the game using the TuneIn Radio app or by going to http://www.biloxishuckers.com.

Biloxi Box Score Game 1

Biloxi Game Log Game 1

Biloxi Box Score Game 2

Biloxi Game Log Game 2

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Shuckers' Wagner keeps things grounded

Brewers No. 16 prospect uses sinker in complete-game one-hitter

By Robert Emrich / MiLB.com

When Tyler Wagner is feeling down, so is his opponent.

The Brewers' No. 16 prospect tossed a one-hitter Friday as Double-A Biloxi blanked Jackson, 5-0, in the opening game of a doubleheader at MGM Park.

Wagner (8-5) took a no-hitter into the sixth inning before giving up a leadoff single to Tyler Bortnick. He erased him on a double play and recorded another to end the game after walking Daniel Paolini with one out in the seventh.

The 24-year-old right-hander struck out five and walked three, facing two batters over the minimum in his 18th start for the Shuckers.

"I think me and catcher Adam Weisenburger were on the same page," Wagner said, "trying to get early contact so I could get some ground balls. We can only focus on what we're doing right now and we're trying to get better everyday and I think I've been doing that. Tonight Adam and I worked perfectly and kept the Generals off the scoreboard."

Wagner got plenty of those ground balls, recording 13 outs on the ground, including the two double plays. That's nothing new for the Nevada native, whose ground ball-to-fly ball ratio is well over 3.00 and who's induced 15 double plays.

"My sinker, I try to use that to get a lot of weak contact," Wagner said. "With a runner on first base, I always try to maximize that and try and get a double play."

The shutout was the second for Wagner, who whitewashed Clinton on May 8, 2013 while pitching for Wisconsin. While the personal achievement was nice, the 2012 fourth-round pick was happy to give his bullpen a breather.

"It's a good thing, not only for me but to help the bullpen out. Give them a little bit of a break," he said. "It reassures me that I can go deep into ballgames and help the team win."

Wagner's first season in the Southern League has been an unqualified success. He's tied for the league lead with a 2.38 ERA and is tied for third with eight wins. He also made his big league debut on May 31 against Arizona.

"I feel like it's good," he said. "I'm constantly coming to the field and learning new things. It's different playing at this level and being with better competition and learning from them and seeing how they go about their business. These hitters are a little bit more specific with their approach. They know I'm a sinkerball pitcher, I mostly get ground balls. For me, establishing the bottom half of the zone at this level is very important."

Nathan Orf delivered a two-run single in a three-run third, while Weisenburger drove in one run and scored another for the Shuckers.

Generals starter Stephen Landazuri (0-3) was tagged with the loss after giving up five runs -- three earned -- on four hits and three walks with three strikeouts over 5 1/3 innings.

Biloxi completed the sweep with a 5-3 win in the nightcap as Brewers No. 22 prospect Victor Roache drove in three runs and top prospect Orlando Arcia went 3-for-3 with a pair of stolen bases and a run scored.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Colorado Springs 3, New Orleans 1, 13 innings

Clark’s home run lifts Colorado Springs over Zephyrs

The Sky Sox ended a crazy trade deadline day with an exhausting 3-1 win over the Zephyrs before a Friday night crowd of 7,998 at Zephyr Field in New Orleans.

The night’s starters would duel to a 1-1 tie through five plus strong frames. The Sox offense struck first, recording the game’s first run against Robert Morey in the fifth on a Kyle Wren sacrifice fly. The right-hander would not allow another in his 5.2 innings of work, giving up five hits and a walk while striking out four.

Sox lefty Nick Addition gave his team an impressive five innings of scoreless ball, allowing just one hit and three walks while striking out five Zephyrs. New Orleans would be thrilled to see right-hander Rob Wooten come out of the bullpen in the sixth as the offense would tie the game and chase the reliever with one out to go in the frame. Jonathan Solano’s one-out sacrifice fly would do the damage before Jeremy Horst ended the frame and further scoring threats.

Horst, David Goforth, Michael Kirkman, and Jim Henderson (1-1, 4.34) gave Colorado Springs a combined 7.1 scoreless innings out of the bullpen to keep the Sky Sox in the ballgame as the New Orleans relief corps matched zeros until the fateful 13th.

Scott McGough (0-1, 6.75) took over to face the top of the Sox order in the 13th, setting Wren and Henderson down quickly to bring Jason Rogers up with two out in the frame. Rogers drew a clutch two-out walk before Matt Clark took the Zephyrs right-hander deep over the right-centerfield fence on a pay-off pitch. Clark’s 14th long ball of the season gave the Sox a 3-1 lead that they would not relinquish despite a dicey final frame.

One night after blowing a potential 2-1 save, Jaye Chapman (S, 9) came on to shut the door with his team leading by two in the 13th. The right-hander struck out Austin Nola to begin the inning before allowing back-to-back singles to Solano and Juan Diaz. Chapman got Brandon Bantz to fly out for the frame’s second out before walking Kila Ka’aihue to load the bases. The Sox closer would knuckle down, striking out Isaac Galloway to end the threat and the ballgame to secure a 3-1 getaway win for Colorado Springs. The hard-fought victory improves the Sox to 43-61 as New Orleans falls to 49-57 on the season.

The Sky Sox travel home to begin a brief four-game homestand against the Iowa Cubs on Saturday night. Right-hander Josh Roenicke (5-7, 5.00) is slated to take on I-Cubs left-hander Tsuyoshi Wada (2-4, 3.11) with first pitch scheduled for 6:05 PM MDT (7:05 Central) from Security Service Field.

Colorado Springs Box Score

It hasn't been the season Matt Clark envisioned, but that was a big blast for sure before the flight home...

Colorado Springs Game Log

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Great Falls 7, Helena 4

8th Inning Meltdown Dooms Brewers

Helena Brewers

The Helena Brewers (1-3) squandered a four-run lead late to lose 7-4 to the Great Falls Voyagers (3-1) on Friday at Centene Stadium.

Jordan Yamamoto would have his best outing of the year, throwing seven shutout innings in the start for the Brewers, giving up just four hits and striking out four. He would leave with a 4-0 lead, but came home with no decision.

Both teams tossed shutout baseball through five innings before the Brewers were able to break through for four runs in the sixth. Mike Gomez, the third Voyager pitcher of the night, gave up two-run homers to both Troy Stokes and Jose Cuas in the inning. It would be their fourth and third, respectively.

Junior Rincon (2-4) came in for the bottom of the eighth with a 4-0 lead, but could not make it out of the inning. He would surrender six runs (three earned) in 2/3 of an inning and just one hit. Defense behind Rincon would be shaky in the eighth, committing two errors to allow two runs to score.

It was Helena's third straight loss as they continue to struggle against Great Falls this season. Their record is now 1-8 against the Voyagers in 2015.

The two teams will face off in the third game of their four-game series Saturday at Centene Stadium. First pitch is set for 7:00 PM (8:00 Central).

Helena Box Score

Darn, look what was written about RHP Junior Rincon on the 25th. No, really...

From an organizational standpoint, RHP Jordan Yamamoto's seven shutout innings are much more important.

DH David Denson and SS Jake Gatewood combined to go 0-for-10 with six K's...

Helena Game Log

This was a team meltdown, not just a Junior Rincon meltdown --

Great Falls Bottom of the 8th

Pitching Change: Junior Rincon replaces Jordan Yamamoto.

Joxelier Garcia hit by pitch.

Frank Califano out on a sacrifice bunt, pitcher Junior Rincon to first baseman Milan Post. Joxelier Garcia to 2nd.

Grant Massey walks.

With Jake Jarvis batting, passed ball by Mitch Ghelfi, Joxelier Garcia to 3rd. Grant Massey to 2nd.

Jake Jarvis grounds out, second baseman Jonathan Oquendo to first baseman Milan Post. Joxelier Garcia scores. Grant Massey to 3rd.

Johan Cruz walks. Wild pitch by pitcher Junior Rincon. Grant Massey scores.

Antonio Rodriguez doubles (8) on a line drive to center fielder Carlos Belonis. Johan Cruz scores.

Zach Fish reaches on a throwing error by second baseman Jonathan Oquendo. Antonio Rodriguez scores.

Jackson Glines reaches on a fielding error by center fielder Carlos Belonis. Zach Fish scores. Jackson Glines to 2nd.

Pitching Change: Donnie Hissa replaces Junior Rincon.

With Nick Parent batting, wild pitch by Donnie Hissa, Jackson Glines to 3rd.

Nick Parent homers (3) on a fly ball to left field. Jackson Glines scores.

Joxelier Garcia walks.

Frank Califano singles on a ground ball to left fielder Troy Stokes. Joxelier Garcia to 2nd.

Grant Massey grounds out, first baseman Milan Post to pitcher Donnie Hissa.

Hopefully Joantgel Segovia's ankle is OK (as noted earlier in the thread...)

Archived