Brewer Fanatic

Should Khris Davis be traded?

Is Khris Davis now a significant trade asset for the Brewers? Santana will likely take over for him in left field.

Career OPS of .785, cheap for 2016, club control from 2017-2019...

Could he net some prospects, or help fill a hole in the lineup?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's certainly not an untouchable asset at this point, but probably won't be moved until this winter or the next.

Right now we would seem to have a surplus of OF talent (specifically the corners) yet we don't have a clear-cut plan for the corner IF positions. Braun may end up at 1B eventually, so if you could flip Davis for a similar (preferable LH hitting) 3B I think it would make sense.

Gruber Lawffices

An AL team should jump all over him. The Red Sox or Astros field would be a perfect fit for him. Allows him to not have as far of throws at home and can DH on the road.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

He's certainly not an untouchable asset at this point, but probably won't be moved until this winter or the next.

Right now we would seem to have a surplus of OF talent (specifically the corners) yet we don't have a clear-cut plan for the corner IF positions. Braun may end up at 1B eventually, so if you could flip Davis for a similar (preferable LH hitting) 3B I think it would make sense.

This winter is when I'd think of moving Davis, either on his own or as part of a package that includes Tyrone Taylor and Jake Gatewood. That could help fill some holes in the farm system.

Or maybe see if the Mets'll take him... Davis for Wheeler.

Should be traded? No. Could be traded? Yes. All depends on when and if they decide they need to open up LF for a young player. August and September is big for his value. My guess on when he'll be traded? Next July or the following winter.

Trading a guy with 4 years of control left vs. 2 years of control probably doesn't materially impact the return. I wouldn't be in a rush to unload any decent player with that much control time left.

I'd be totally open to trading Khris Davis...but not when his value is low. If he doesn't turn it around I'd probably let him get a shot in 2016 to see if he can rebound. Maybe flip him next July...or after 2016.

No. Khris Davis should not be traded. I'd rather experience a fight it out for the position between Davis and Santana before just handing Santana the position. The guy needs to be accountable for his Ks. Until it's proven they will be controllable(say under 33%) The position is Davis' to lose and Santana's to win. Braun is aging folks. How many games does he stand to miss in a season? 25? 30? Who takes his spot in that time? Santana should win the OF spot and in the meantime be the 4th OF behind Davis and Braun, until Santana pushes Davis out.

Now, I've also made mention that Davis ought to be traded in the past. Why? Because of his Defense. How long will his bat stay relevant vs his Defense being a reason he's not ML material? As it stands now to BWAR he's at -.2 value. His defense is at -.7 from -.2 last season.(Gee are anyone's DWAR up this year vs last?)

These are just warning signs of what stands to come with him, and he's not giving offensive warning signs that he needs to be kept. His walks are up. Thats it. Well, his Ks are too. But nothing is flashing future turnaround of brightness. OPS+ or 106 last year/104 this year. I think that's him going to be between 100-110OPS+

I think it's better to have both until there's a 4th OF better than Santana/Davis holding it down. You'd have to wow me in a trade for Davis, and honestly, look at what Parra's been worth. Mitch Haniger+Anthony Banda and now Zach Davies. The reading being #3SP at best in Banda. Haniger a 4th OF. So that's about what I'd expect in return at best for Davis. We have the #4OF between Davis/Santana. #3 SP potential? I wouldnt try acquiring that at this stage for Milw with years of #4OF team control in Davis.

Khris Davis in his last 700 at-bats spanning 2014-2015: .239/.305/.443/.748 104 OPS+

He's exactly the type of LF one might expect on a last place team. Completely expendable

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Khris Davis in his last 700 at-bats spanning 2014-2015: .239/.305/.443/.748 104 OPS+

He's exactly the type of LF one might expect on a last place team. Completely expendable

^^^This

Davis is kind of like the Mike Fiers of left field. He's unconventional and was old for a prospect. He's got some good tools, but even when he has put it all together for a month or two at a time, it really just brings the larger sample up to a tiny bit above average. He's what, 27? So, like Gerardo Parra, we are looking at peak Davis most likely. Although i will allow that it seems like Davis profile at the plate could give him a shot at developing a little more---he's terrible in left, so it almost kills it. I don't know if Domingo Santana is the long term answer there, but I'm willing to bet one/two of he, Reed, Phillips, Roache, Coulter, etc, will be ready to play as well or better than Khris by the time this team is winning games again in 17/18.

Move him. We have a big surplus in the OF.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

As with most everyone, it all depends on what you can get for him. I don't think he has a ton of value at this time, so I'd just let him ride the rest of the season and start 2016 in LF. If he plays well, he could actually bring something decent in trade - or he becomes a key part of the lineup. I just don't think he's going to bring much at this point.

By mid-2016, you look at Davis' performance, look at potential outfield replacements (Santana, Reed, Phillips, Taylor, Peterson) and make moves accordingly. For now, I'd just let him play.

I'm sure when the winter meetings take place that it will be common knowledge that Davis and Segura are available but they won't be given away. The real question would any deals for Segura or Davis would what would the Brewers be looking for in return? More high level minor league talent, a controllable major league player or low level high upside guy? I could see a Davis/Lind combo to SF for Brandon Belt and Gregor Blanco. Blanco's ideal one year stopgap CF. Belt's controllable for two years. Giants replace Belt's production with Lind and get Davis for multiple years. Brewers move Braun back to LF and start next year with Santana in RF, Blanco in CF, and Braun in LF, with Belt at 1B, Reed and Peterson as 4th and 5th outfielders and Rogers as platoon partner for Belt.

On occasion you could play Braun at 1B and Reed in LF vs. LHP to start the inevitable transition.

No. Khris Davis should not be traded. I'd rather experience a fight it out for the position between Davis and Santana before just handing Santana the position. The guy needs to be accountable for his Ks. Until it's proven they will be controllable(say under 33%) The position is Davis' to lose and Santana's to win.

Khris Davis for another starting pitcher or younger player with more controllable years > holding Santana accountable for his Ks.

No. Khris Davis should not be traded. I'd rather experience a fight it out for the position between Davis and Santana before just handing Santana the position. The guy needs to be accountable for his Ks. Until it's proven they will be controllable(say under 33%) The position is Davis' to lose and Santana's to win.

Khris Davis for another starting pitcher or younger player with more controllable years > holding Santana accountable for his Ks.

I guess I could have gone in to more "sky is falling" numbers rather than just say Ks.

Holding Santana accountable for his Ks as in he shouldn't just hold down the OF spot if his batting line is .140/245/.255. Remove Davis and Santana once called up to bat for the team, can have that batting line all day and never get sent back to AAA since Davis is gone. Schafer is likely gone after the season. Davis has a lot of earning to go to remotely get a Starting Pitcher of any value. Parra in a top 10 OF year got Zach Davies. He of #4 upside in writing.

I feel Davis in return would bring a Kyle Wren type player back. One that's not very likely to see the field. Give me Davis/Santana battle over Santana with nothing to lose and a AA-AAA Lifer.

The Professional Brewers team does need to continue winning. When trying it requires your best non overpaid FA signee Players to take the field.

I think it's telling that one of the main pieces in the Gomez traded was a guy like Santana who has already been destroying AAA for two seasons now. You can't really keep him there any longer, and yet it seems unlikely they traded for him to let him ride the bench. The plan is either to trade Davis or move Braun out of RF (the former being much more likely), which I am in favor of because I think Santana needs regular playing time (why not? we are rebuilding) to work on his K's against major-league pitching. Let him sink or swim, a positional battle would just add unnecessary stress. Give the guy 550+ PA so we can find out what we've got.

I feel Davis in return would bring a Kyle Wren type player back. One that's not very likely to see the field.

If we trade Davis for that kind of return the man in charge should be fired. Khris Davis is worth at least one Top 100 type prospect at this point minimum.

I feel Davis in return would bring a Kyle Wren type player back. One that's not very likely to see the field.

If we trade Davis for that kind of return the man in charge should be fired. Khris Davis is worth at least one Top 100 type prospect at this point minimum.

Why? He's such a negative Defensively. His highest HR total is 22 for the full season last year. And sits at 7 now this year. His BA from .244(below ML avg) to .230(even further below) Below Defense. Below BA. What does he provide that is remotely above average? Unless he goes on a HR tear to get above 20HRs again on this season, He's a Below average player. precisely a reason along with Gennett that they weren't top 100 ranked prospects. Why can he command one? Honestly? There isn't one thing of Davis on paper that sticks out that says anything but average at best. If he were a prospect right now in the Brewers Minors where are you ranking him? Probably 23rd ahead of Kyle Wren from what I know. Though 15th-23rd would seem to fit. I'd rank MLB's top 30 a little differently.

But seriously if you have to grade Davis It'd have to be like this:

Hit: 45 Power: 50 Run: 45 Arm: 40 Field: 45 Overall: 45

Top 100 prospects are Overall valued at 55 or higher. How does this 45 net one of those?

Why? He's such a negative Defensively. His highest HR total is 22 for the full season last year. And sits at 7 now this year. His BA from .244(below ML avg) to .230(even further below) Below Defense. Below BA. What does he provide that is remotely above average? Unless he goes on a HR tear to get above 20HRs again on this season, He's a Below average player. precisely a reason along with Gennett that they weren't top 100 ranked prospects. Why can he command one? Honestly? There isn't one thing of Davis on paper that sticks out that says anything but average at best. If he were a prospect right now in the Brewers Minors where are you ranking him? Probably 23rd ahead of Kyle Wren from what I know. Though 15th-23rd would seem to fit. I'd rank MLB's top 30 a little differently.

But seriously if you have to grade Davis It'd have to be like this:

Hit: 45 Power: 50 Run: 45 Arm: 40 Field: 45 Overall: 45

Top 100 prospects are Overall valued at 55 or higher. How does this 45 net one of those?

Half a year of Brandon Moss just netted a very good pitching prospect in Rob Kaminsky. Davis is cheap and can slot right into someone's starting LF gig, and even if he's not a starter he has value as a platoon bat.

Khris Davis is not that bad defensively...he has a weak arm, but other than that he plays respectable defense. Everyone thinks he is bad because it is so easy to see a weak arm. However no one seems to care about the pathetic reaction time or routes Braun takes in RF. His defense overall is just as bad or worse as Davis'.

Alright so getting past the overblown defense issue I really wouldn't put too much weight on his 2015 numbers. Not only has he been injured, but he also had to ride the bench for a while when Parra played. I am sure that doesn't help a guy not seeing much action for awhile. On the bright side he has shown a lot more patience at the plate this year so that is a good sign. He has provided average offense in a roller coaster year and has power in what is becoming a power starved league. Add that with a ton of control at a cheap price and you have an attractive player.

Your assessment regarding Top 100 prospects seems really off to me. Since he wasn't a Top 100 prospect why should not he get one back? What?? That is just silly. You are also trying to compare a PROVEN MLB hitter to a bunch of guys that haven't even touched the bigs. Half those guys on that list will probably have worse careers than Davis. The amount of teams willing to sacrifice a back half Top 100 prospect for Khris Davis would be long. A power bat on the cheap for many years is well worth giving up a guy who has proven nothing.

Khris Davis is worth a lot more than you think he is.

Archived