Brewer Fanatic

Broxton to Cardinals for MiLB OF Malik Collymore

brwrsfan
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The six-foot, 190 pound infielder creates good leverage in his swing and already boasts solid pull-side power while showing an ability to drive the oppo gap. Collymore should get every chance to stick in the infield, but possesses enough athleticism and foot speed to shift to an outfield corner down the line, if needed.

Collymore has a tightly-wound, compact build at 6 feet and 190 pounds. He is a tick above average as a runner, shows nice infield actions and average arm strength, giving him a chance to stay at shortstop. Otherwise, he’ll make a fine defensive second baseman. He has interesting bat speed and some sneaky power for his size.

Wonder if we move him back to the infield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhGHv-e8IJw

Adam McCalvy ‏@AdamMcCalvy · 2m2 minutes ago

#Brewers announce Broxton to STL for OF Malik Collymore, and are sending cash along with Brox, as expected. Amount unknown.

Anyone know anything about him??

Spent the past three years in rookie ball. Hasn't hit worth a lick this year at all. This will be very forgettable.

Harsh assessment for a guy with only 86 AB's this year.

That's an exciting addition (considering I wasn't expecting to get any player of substance in return for Broxton) as Collymore has some intriguing upside with a power/speed profile, although he's raw (or was coming out of high school). Here's what we (PG) wrote about him prior to the 2013 draft:

204. MALIK COLLYMORE, 2b/ss, Port Credit HS, Mississauga, Ontario

Collymore has always flashed considerable raw speed and power potential in his powerful, compact, well-defined 6-foot, 190-pound frame, but his performance at Perfect Game’s National Pre-Draft Showcase in Iowa in mid-May may have legitimately pushed him into the early rounds of this year’s draft. He ran the 60 in an event-best 6.54 seconds, homered in three of 10 batting-practice swings and went deep again in game competition. During speed training on a fast indoor track at Toronto’s York University he ran the 60 in a lightning-fast 6.22 seconds. Though Collymore has obvious speed, scouts say he needs to use it more efficiently on the bases and in the field under game conditions. Balls will also jump off his bat, but he’ll struggle making consistent contact with breaking pitches. With his simple hitting approach that emphasizes consistent contact, Collymore projects to hit more for doubles-power rather than true home-run power. His greatest challenge is on the defensive side of the ball, no matter where he eventually plays. He has plenty of arm strength to play on the left side of the infield and is capable of occasionally making the spectacular play at shortstop, but his hands and footwork appear best-suited for second base.

Verified Member
Collymore put up an .883 OPS last season as a 19-year-old in Rookie ball, as a full-time 2B. I take it the Cardinals didn't like his defense and converted him to OF, but I wonder if there's any chance we move him back (not like we need another OF prospect at this point)

#Brewers announce Broxton to STL for OF Malik Collymore, and are sending cash along with Brox, as expected. Amount unknown.

Spent the past three years in rookie ball. Hasn't hit worth a lick this year at all. This will be very forgettable.

what are you talking about? kid hit well at age 19 in rookie ball last year

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Harsh assessment for a guy with only 86 AB's this year.

Yeah, it probably was an overreaction.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

From Fangraphs pre-2015:

"23. Malik Collymore, 2B Video: Collymore was an overslot 10th rounder that got $275,000 in 2013 as a Canadian prep standout that came on in his draft spring. He’s surprisingly well built for a 5’11/190 second baseman and has double digit homer raw power if his line drive game stroke allows him to get to all of it in games. Collymore is an above average runner with a below average arm that fits best at second base and is making progress there defensively. He had a big year with gap power in the GCL last year and, while he isn’t Mookie Betts, there’s feel to hit and a good shot he steadily moves up this list in the coming years."

Sounds like a bit more than a guy you completely forget about. From the stats, it looks like he has some patience at the plate and a bit of pop in his bat.

Nothing impressive at the moment, but clearing the way to bring up some more of the relief prospects from AAA and see how those guys do has some value. Color me impressed overall at the volume of deals Melvin has done while still getting fair returns. Cotts is the only guy who might still have some value that can't be dealt in the offseason.

I don't know, sounds like a better than average return for a guy that had no reason to be in a Brewers uniform now that they are rebuilding. Even if it was just salary relief I would have been okay. This kid sounds like he could be a regular at multiple positions or possibly a trade chip down the road. I call it a win for Dougie.

I don't know, sounds like a better than average return for a guy that had no reason to be in a Brewers uniform now that they are rebuilding. Even if it was just salary relief I would have been okay. This kid sounds like he could be a regular at multiple positions or possibly a trade chip down the road. I call it a win for Dougie.

"Yes, but Melvin could have possibly held out and got one or two more prospect guys for a reliever we don't really need anymore."

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

He has some pop in his bat and it looks like the Cardinals moved him to the OF this year. Could still possibly be someone who could play 2B or he could be a nice utility player. He is still very young yet at 20 years old and he doesn't turn 21 until next April.

This is more than what the Brewers should have received for Broxton.

http://www.crawfishboxes.com/2013-mlb-draft/2013/5/23/4357872/2013-mlb-draft-profile-malik-collymore-2b-ss-port-credit-secondary

http://www.vivaelbirdos.com/cardinals-minor-leagues/2013/6/7/4407832/round-10-pick-305-malik-collymore-ss

http://www.scout.com/mlb/cardinals/story/1493918-tcn-2015-cards-prospect-22-malik-collymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RtK4t2y1Dg

During speed training on a fast indoor track at Toronto’s York University he ran the 60 in a lightning-fast 6.22 seconds.

8-|

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Ok, so who gets traded next? As much as it sucks to be in this situation, it's kind of fun and exciting.

Cotts, K-Rod, maybe Lind. Ain't done yet.

Lind is probably out of the question as he is not going to pass a teams medical examination.

wonder who gets called up to replace Broxton on the 25-man

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

This is a lot more than I was expecting. Also, I'm into the (apparent) fact that the Brewers aren't going cheap. They presumably could have dealt Broxton for pure salary relief, but instead they sent some money along and got a prospect with some upside. I'm loving this deadline.

wonder who gets called up to replace Broxton on the 25-man

I am guessing Thornburg.

Thorny got called up for the Parra spot

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Archived