Brewer Fanatic

How long before Braun moves to 1B?

ebmackenzie

With the hand issues, his contract and the need to have him at a low impact position, and the increased talent in the OF that is greater than 1B prospects (Clark, Ramirez, Rogers).

How long before Braun is moved to 1B and is this a good idea?

I've thought about this too. It would make sense at some point to move hime to 1b. This assumes:

1) The OF prospects are ready

2) Ryan is still with the team at that point

Ultimately I believe that Braun will be traded either at this point next year or in the 16-17 winter.

I've thought about this too. It would make sense at some point to move hime to 1b. This assumes:

1) The OF prospects are ready

2) Ryan is still with the team at that point

Ultimately I believe that Braun will be traded either at this point next year or in the 16-17 winter.

Unlikley. Braun goes from no trade clause where he can block a few teams (6) to one where he can only be traded to the Dodgers, Angels, Nationals, Rays and Marlins. Which really means the Dodgers, Angels, and Nationals. He could waive it, but that likely means picking up the 2021 option of $15m.

Certainly not before Lind is dealt. If it's in the offseason, I could see Bruan getting time there in Arizona and potentially opening up there next year or the Brewers grabbing a low end FA lefty bat to platoon there with Rogers, then filling in his spot in the OF with a low end flip-able FA.

The real transition to the young players isn't going to be opening day 2016. Get ready to see a few low end veteran FA added this winter to delay the start of the Arcia/Phillips era at least until next year's trading deadline.

I think people want to pull the trigger way too soon on positional changes like this. Until we have a stud right fielder knocking on the door, moving Braun is completely unnecessary.

Santana's already at AAA. Roache and Phillips are at AA.

That's three corner OFs for two slots by Opening Day 2017, assuming Reed takes over CF and Tyrone Taylor becomes the 5th OF, barring a trade.

Here is the drawback of moving Braun to 1B in the future. He is not a lefty. Not that a righty can't play 1b, but the Brewers have been notoriously deficient on LH bats and 1b is a (the) prime spot to field a LH.

This is one of the reasons why I am so happy with the addition of Brett Phillips (he is a lefty). Two things that have always bothered me about Melvin is his disregard for OBP in favor of Power and no urgency to even out the order with LH bats. I feel like we may be turning the corner a little with the addition of Phillips and Trent Clark this summer.

You've got to imagine Santana has a very good chance of playing his way into the opening-day lineup next season. I'd guess Phillips won't be rushed so 2017 seems more likely if all goes well. Given this i see no reason to move him there before 2017 barring the impending three-way trade of Parra/Lohse for Harper/Trout. Braun's perfectly fine in the OF for now, so if we're just looking for a stopgap it's likely easier to find a 1B than move Braun and find an OF for a year or two.

You've got to imagine Santana has a very good chance of playing his way into the opening-day lineup next season. I'd guess Phillips won't be rushed so 2017 seems more likely if all goes well. Given this i see no reason to move him there before 2017 barring the impending three-way trade of Parra/Lohse for Harper/Trout. Braun's perfectly fine in the OF for now, so if we're just looking for a stopgap it's likely easier to find a 1B than move Braun and find an OF for a year or two.

Agreed, there are plenty of past-their-prime SS's who would fit the bill nicely. :tongue

Santana is 6'5 225. Why not have him start working at 1B in AAA now and see how he does? Have him ready to play it when Lind is inevitably traded this offseason or by the deadline next year. I understand he's never played it before and Braun has IF background so it's probably easier for him, but I would bet Braun is a better OF than this guy in spite basically just being average.

Given how Santana has played at AAA, Braun to 1b next year makes a lot of sense. I advocated that move before last year. Now I think it all comes down to their evaluation of Santana. He's about to turn 23. Next year looks like a developmental season. They'll hopefully be breaking in Phillips in 2017. That all says to me that Braun should be at 1b next year.

Wouldn't 1b be more physically demanding given his current nagging injury is his hand? I could see a move back to LF. Davis has been underwhelming offensively and defensively. I'm not giving up on him, but I also would like to upgrade LF.

If Davis could finish on the strong side I could see dealing him in the offseason while he still has that young and cheap shine to him. I could certainly see him having a couple of really strong years, but he's also the kind of player that scares me when he does that, because it seems to easy to get attracted to that short peak and end up over paying for a solid, but unspectacular guy.

Given how Santana has played at AAA, Braun to 1b next year makes a lot of sense. I advocated that move before last year. Now I think it all comes down to their evaluation of Santana. He's about to turn 23. Next year looks like a developmental season. They'll hopefully be breaking in Phillips in 2017. That all says to me that Braun should be at 1b next year.

It makes more sense to trade Khris Davis this off-season and put Santana in left. Davis will have 2016 cheap, and three arby years.

Think about it... what would a team be willing to pay for a hitter who can deliver a lot of power, and comes cheap/under club control for FOUR YEARS?

If Davis could finish on the strong side I could see dealing him in the offseason while he still has that young and cheap shine to him. I could certainly see him having a couple of really strong years, but he's also the kind of player that scares me when he does that, because it seems to easy to get attracted to that short peak and end up over paying for a solid, but unspectacular guy.

Why not make that some other team's problem?

Davis has four years of club control after 2015. He's probably one of the most undervalued trade assets the Brewers have now.

I was thinking why not move Clint Coulter to first? Personally I thought he should have moved there to begin with. He's definitely got the size and he could move up at his own pace with nobody blocking him. If you do it now he likely gets two full years there before he hits Milwaukee. In the meantime you have Rogers who has really been hitting well in AAA this season.

One of the outfielders in the minors should be moving to first.

As for Braun, he cant be happy here now that we are in full tank mode (like Luc). Both should be traded for their sake and ours.

Braun wouldnt have signed the extension had he known the team would rebuild, just like the Brewers would have never offered the extension had they known the whole truth.

The Tulo trade sets the trade model, take back a contract for about half, and receive some stud prospects.

I think it should be more "How long before Braun moves to LA?" Or Seattle? Or NY?

Let's trade him while we can still get a nice haul back for him. Winter meetings 2015/2016 let's make it happen. Taijuan Walker for Ryan Braun

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Dodgers would make a lot of sense with their unlimited payroll. Have Ethier's contract sitting there to take back. No way they're giving up that Seager guy but maybe something could be worked, they seem to get talked about having a strong farm system.

Angels just picked up a bunch of old guys to fill their remaining OF spot so they have a hole but I don't know on their system. They trade for guys every year so I would guess it to be a bit weak.

Archived