Brewer Fanatic

Schafer & Thornburg recalled; Herrera's contract purchased; Preston Guilmet claimed from Dodgers and added to roster

1992casey

So, do we refer to this stretch as "Logan's Run"?

Well, at least the defense won't fall off much out there. The offense, however......oi.

Let's bat Logan cleanup tomorrow just to hear Billy Schroeder's head explode. :laughing

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

I'd like to see Logan get a look. I was more a Komatsu fan in the minors, but he's long gone. Logan hasn't had a chance to play much. His D looks great, but people judge him based on sporadic pinch hit opportunities. It's not like he was a top prospect. I'd like to see what he can show. Some walks and HR with great D (his MO) sound fine with me

I'd like to see Logan get a look. I was more a Komatsu fan in the minors, but he's long gone. Logan hasn't had a chance to play much. His D looks great, but people judge him based on sporadic pinch hit opportunities. It's not like he was a top prospect. I'd like to see what he can show. Some walks and HR with great D (his MO) sound fine with me

That just isn't true. He got 337 PAs in 2013 in 134 games. It would be great if he turned into Brady Clark as a guy who puts it together during ages 29-31. It is just rather unlikely.

http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/vader.jpg

Doesn't Craig have the itch to put himself in the lineup? Or, since Lohse is still here, maybe we get a little more use out of him and throw him in the outfield? Ugh.

Given Herrera's positional flexibility, being a switch-hitter, and how he showed halfway decent pop when given a chance to play full-time (and how he's tearing up AAA), I find it odd that no contender claimed him. I'm not comparing him to Zobrist in any way, shape, or form, but there have to be worse 24th-25th guys to have on a team.

Given Herrera's positional flexibility, being a switch-hitter, and how he showed halfway decent pop when given a chance to play full-time (and how he's tearing up AAA), I find it odd that no contender claimed him. I'm not comparing him to Zobrist in any way, shape, or form, but there have to be worse 24th-25th guys to have on a team.

herrera hasn't been in a position to be claimed by another team since early june (and in february before that).

I don't think that we are really tanking it. We aren't doing this to get high draft choices. We are doing this to put us in a position to truly contend again. IMO, we have more talented young players in our organization now then in any time that I can remember. At least, at any time since 2003. We are not just getting rid of guys and hoping to get lucky with people who aren't in our organization yet. We seem to be headed in the right direction.

The well-traveled Guilmet didn’t spend much time with the Dodgers, who selected him off waivers from the Rays on July 10. Guilmet tossed three innings for the club’s Triple-A affiliate prior to today’s DFA, so his claim was likely just to serve as a depth piece should the need arise.

In the past calendar year, the Orioles have traded Guilmet to the Pirates (for cash considerations), who lost him on waivers to the Blue Jays. The Rays claimed him from the division-rival Blue Jays in May, and he was up and down between the Rays and their Triple-A affiliate in Durham prior to joining the Dodgers.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/07/dodgers-designate-preston-guilmet-for-assignment.html

Throws a fastball, cutter, and slider. Fastball/cutter sit in the high 80s, slider in the low 80s.

At AAA in 2013 he put up a 1.68 ERA and in 64 innings gave up 43 hits and struck out 72. In 2014 his ERA went up to 3.91, but still gave up less hits (42) and more strikeouts (54) than innings pitched (48). Likely a AAAA guy, but not the worst guy in the world to claim.

Hopefully they get a good look at how awful his bat is and mediocre te defense is despite his reputation and we can dump him from the 40 man at the end o the season.

If you follow any AAA games, he's one of the best defensive cf in the league and is a better defender than Braun, Davis and Peterson in the OF. Let him play full time and see what he's got compared to 1 or 2 inning stints and pinch hitting.

Archived