Brewer Fanatic

Parra to Orioles for Zach Davies

billymac

McCalvy makes a great point here:

"So the #Brewers trade was prospects Anthony Banda and Mitch Haniger for one calendar year of Gerardo Parra plus Zach Davies. Seems OK, no?"

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
McCalvy makes a great point here:

"So the #Brewers trade was prospects Anthony Banda and Mitch Haniger for one calendar year of Gerardo Parra plus Zach Davies. Seems OK, no?"

Considering we have a huge surplus of outfielders and this pitcher seems to be better than Banda I'd say we won overall.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Davies is a 150 lb pitcher. After the Astros trade, Melvin is playing with house money now. He should hold out for Sisco or look at other teams.

I'd rather have the supplemental pick than Davies.

The problem with this is when you take a supplemental pick, like Mitch Haniger, and then (pardon my French here) "dick around" with him. Someone posted earlier in this thread that Haniger is a at best 4th outfielder prospect with the Dbacks. No sir, he's a potential Nick Markakis type in right field, good defense, excellent arm, great plate discipline, and will hit for average. He's an at worst 4th outfielder prospect.

If they don't trade Parra for Davies, and wind up with a supplemental pick for him, what they'll of done is a kin to taking a $100 bill, going out in the backyard, digging a hole, burying the $100 bill, and digging it back up in 3 years. When the clearly better approach is to go deposit that $100 bill in a savings account at the bank and let it accrue interest.

Even if they do land Davies, it looks to me like they'll of gotten there by accident. It doesn't seem like they have a very consistent, well-thought-out plan in place that they adhere to.

Edit: Looks like the deal for Davies is finalized. Still stand by my statement that they backed into returning value from the Haniger trade. But, hey I'll take it.

Parra likely takes a QO as well. Some players didn't this year that were borderline and they ended up taking lesser deals. parts falls into that range of player. This is a nice trade.

Or worst case scenario, Parra slumps for the rest of the season and we determine that it wouldn't even be worth giving him the QO and therefore get nothing for him.

Not thrilled about Davies as a prospect but even with the season Parra is having and if he keeps it up, I'm not sure I would offer him the QO.

That seems like a slight underpay for Parra. It suggests that maybe the teams don't see the QO scenario the way we're seeing it. If it happens, I'll be interested to see what the O's do with him over the winter.

The upside is that going after pitching with Parra is the right balance after the Gomez trade, plus we have to assume our scouts like what they've seen of Davies.

Yeah, I think that's a solid overall assessment. I brought it up last night because I'm not so sure Davies is quite the player ideally I'd want in return for Parra, but I'm sure DM and his team have done their homework to weigh the value of the QO vs. the comp pick vs. this return. In Davies' defense he's young, in the upper levels of the minors and has enjoyed success, moving relatively quickly up the ladder. A good player, I just hoped for someone with a little higher upside.

The Brewers pitching depth in the upper levels is encouraging, even if there isn't that clear-cut ace as others have noted.

I quoted both because they are essentially where I'm at.

It's no secret I wanted impact pitching but that window had moved past before the Brewers made a trade and while I'm not thrilled about that aspect of the deadline nor the fact that many of the players acquired are higher floor players at the upper levels of the minors this is about as good as I would have hoped for. Not coincidentally, that's the reason I didn't really want this front office working on a reload. I want upside, and I'll never stop wanting upside, so part of me is always going to be let down when Melvin makes trades, even for prospects.

Davies is essentially a Mike Fiers/Dave Bush type pitcher velocity wise but he actually has a plus pitch in his change which is something neither of the other 2 possessed. If Davies can locate similarly to Fiers he could be a solid #3 (yes I know we have a ton of those guys already) so he's not bad value for Parra, just underwhelming from an upside perspective, which of course remains my primary concern on the pitching front.

Maybe at some point down the road we can spin off some of these #3s to get the young impact pitching I've been craving since my little epiphany in 2008. Maybe Taylor Williams can ascend towards a #2 and I've overlooked him all along, but his slider wasn't *that* good in WI last year. I really wish he would have pitched this season but we're down to a month to go and no word on if his injection will allow him to skip TJ like it did for Thornburg or not, though ultimately both pitchers lost a full season anyway.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Not a bad move. Wish we got more but I guess we can always say that.

So far, of the 7 guys we picked up it does look like 6 have legitimate chances of playing at the major league level (dont think we can project the Canadian guy just yet), with Phillips having serious All Star potential. Davies profiles as a ground ball 4/5 guy without a whole lot of concern that he will reach that projection.

Davies going to AAA

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I appreciate the need for high upside pitching, but way too many of those guys seem to struggle with control and I like a mix of some exciting lottery tickets to go along with better bets who could still be mid rotation guys. That's very valuable depth.

Very impressive ground ball numbers. A much different pitcher than Fiers, but could fill his role, and is only 21 and under team control for a long while. For two months of Gerardo Parra, it works for me.

Very impressive ground ball numbers. A much different pitcher than Fiers, but could fill his role, and is only 21 and under team control for a long while. For two months of Gerardo Parra, it works for me.

YES! a solid GB rate is KEY for half a season at Miller Park

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

YES! a solid GB rate is KEY for half a season at Miller Park

Agreed. Davies also limits the home runs. Never underestimate a pitcher with a great changeup. Absolutely nothing like Dave Bush. He's more similar to Marco Estrada with a much better breaking ball. That combination has a chance to be a real good pitcher.

The Brewers bet on the fact that Parra would improve at the plate once he had time to work Kirk Gibson's poison out of his head. They were right.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

• 1 month later...
Parra has been virtually a non-factor since traded, I think we won this trade by a landslide as well as the Astros trade...

Our future looks exciting!

How Gomez and Parra performed after they were traded is totally irrelevant when evaluating the trades. The Brewers "won" these trades because they turned expensive, aging assets that weren't going to be a part of the next contending Brewer team into younger, cheaper parts that will - hopefully. The only way the 2015 deadline can be looked at as a loss is if Fiers continues to post borderline ace numbers for the next 5 years and none of the players from the Astros develop into solid major league players.

Gomez and Parra are both under 30 - I think the term "aging" is a bit much in this case. If they are aging, I don't want to know what that makes me.

Also, Fiers is older than both of them. Almost two full years older than Parra.

They are aging in the fact that by the time the Brewers are competitive again they will on the downside of their careers. Also, I didn't make it clear my point about Fiers was that he's already on that downside age-wise. The odds of him maintaining his current level of success for the next few years is rather unlikely because of his age, not his talent.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Tremendous end to the season for Davies that I think may allow us to pencil him into rotation for 16.....heck of a return for Parra...our scouting staff need some major plaudits

I don't know if he's a lock for the rotation next year, but he certainly has made a strong case. What I hope DOESN'T happen is that he pitches a few bad innings in spring training next year and they decide that's what is the deciding factor in sending him back down.

Davies, Cravy, Thornburg, Pena - with Lopez, Wagner, Houser and Hader waiting at AAA - is there another team in the majors with starting pitching depth like this at the top of the organization?

Say what you want about Melvin and Seid, but they have done a great job of stocking the organization with pitching. Maybe they don't have that true #1 ace, but it's hard to find those when you're drafting in the bottom half of the first round. Plenty of arms to deal to acquire the 3B and C of the immediate future.

Archived