Brewer Fanatic

Parra to Orioles for Zach Davies

billymac
  • Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26th round pick out of HS but he got paid the 3rd highest bonus amount that year by Baltimore so they obviously believed in him. We weren't going to get a 6'3 guy throwing 97 for 60 games of Parra. If he turns into our #5 down in a year or two this is a good get.

If you had to pick between a 1st round pick (that is not guaranteed to come to you - his market could dry up (unlikely), major injury, etc.) and a 22-year old guy that is likely going to be an MLB rotation pitcher with 6-years of control, but you know isn't going to turn into Zack Greinke...I'd probably take Davies.

Baltimore Sun is also reporting that the trade is just for Davies. Interesting that it didn't happen last night, as that's what had been reported all along. Guessing DM was trying to get more and couldn't, so just went with this trade.

I liked Tanner Scott a lot better. LHP, hit triple digits - granted he was a reliever, but if he could've been stretched out...

I'll take it, was hoping for another prospect with Davies but for a 2 month rental of an ok of what can you really expect. Besides trying to get more from Baltimore I wonder if Melvin was looking a high minors 3B instead as that spot really hasn't been addressed, I'm sure that's what the plan was with Flores. I guess that's what the target would be for when Lind gets traded.

I'd be fine bringing Davies or one of the other minor leaguers like Cravy right away and put Lohse in mop up, see what they can do.

Someone mentioned this earlier in the thread but Davies seems like Fiers with a little more upside. Not a well known prospect who has been very good at each start. He is 8 years younger than Fiers amd is controlled for 6 years. If he even hits Fiers level this is a win

Besides Baltimore being the only team left to have serious interest in Parra they also had another fallback option in Revere who would have been under control for 3 more years. This is why the return was only Davies who looks to be a replacement for Fiers (soft tossing end of rotation starter). Like I said before I would have tried to add assets to the trade to get Sisco too but all in all I am OK with this.

As for those thinking that keeping Parra, giving him a QO and obtaining a 1s pick would have been better... you have to take $$ into cosideration too. Cost to keep Parra 2 more months and cost to sign a 1s pick means the cost for that prospect would be over $3 million, while Davies is free.

Seems like a fair return. It really sounds like Davies is pretty much ready right now to pitch at the MLB level and has a very good changeup. Maybe he sticks as a back end rotation type or maybe he becomes a reliever to max out his effort and get a bit more out of his smallish frame. Perhaps he becomes what K-Rod is now.

Community Moderator
i agree, a 150 lb pitcher is all we could get?

Pedro Martinez would like a word.

The guy I first thought of was Mike Boddicker. Not certain how good of a comparison that is, and maybe it's more the Orioles connection. I was a kid when he was pitching, but I remember him as a smaller guy with good control who used deceptive pitch speeds to get hitters out.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

OH MAN I LIKE THIS LIL GUY!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I like the move.

I think people need to remember that other GMs aren't dumb. They know what Parra is. Getting a young pitching prospect for him is not a bad thing at all.

Sandy Alderson would like a word...

Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

i agree, a 150 lb pitcher is all we could get?

Pedro Martinez would like a word.

The guy I first thought of was Mike Boddicker. Not certain how good of a comparison that is, and maybe it's more the Orioles connection. I was a kid when he was pitching, but I remember him as a smaller guy with good control who used deceptive pitch speeds to get hitters out.

I'm not saying he can't succeed. Look at tim lincecum, who had a pretty darn good control undersized. He also had great numbers in triple A. I think he is a probaby a young version of Mike Fiers. I am not saying i hate the trade, but probably my expectations were increased by Parra's hot July.

OH MAN I LIKE THIS LIL GUY!

Me too. Seems to have spunk. Has pitched well at every level. Hopefully he'll finish out this year strong and be our 4/5 man in next years rotation behind Nelson, Peralta, Jungmann.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I like the move.

I think people need to remember that other GMs aren't dumb. They know what Parra is. Getting a young pitching prospect for him is not a bad thing at all.

Sandy Alderson would like a word...

I still wonder if it wasn't the Mets ownership that nixed the deal. Hard to criticize Alderson if that's the case.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived