Brewer Fanatic

Parra to Orioles for Zach Davies

billymac
  • Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That seems like a slight underpay for Parra. It suggests that maybe the teams don't see the QO scenario the way we're seeing it. If it happens, I'll be interested to see what the O's do with him over the winter.

The upside is that going after pitching with Parra is the right balance after the Gomez trade, plus we have to assume our scouts like what they've seen of Davies.

Well, perhaps the Orioles had some leverage here realizing the Brewers really had little reason to keep Parra around, and perhaps they were the only ones going hard after Parra.

Who knows, maybe they'll get a throw-in too.

Baltimore Sun is also reporting that the trade is just for Davies. Interesting that it didn't happen last night, as that's what had been reported all along. Guessing DM was trying to get more and couldn't, so just went with this trade.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/07/orioles-to-acquire-gerardo-parra.html

The Orioles have agreed to acquire Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra, according to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun (via Twitter). Prospect Zach Davies goes to Milwaukee in return. The deal is pending medical evaluations.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I'm kind of depressed now because I was a pitcher and this kid is built like I was coming out of high school. On the bright side, I'm 39, so my career would probably be over by now (well maybe not, since I was a lefty finesse pitcher) and I'd just be on this board reading about this same trade like I am right now.

another 22 year old prospect in AAA, Melvin is stockpiling some young talent in the upper minors

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

I believe under the new rules a team trading for a player midseason cannot offer that player a QO. If that is the case, and I think it is, then Baltimore would not be offering a deal representative of a rental + QO. Rather, the Brewers would have to assess the Oriole's offer as one that is better than simply retaining and offering Parra a QO.

So in other words Baltimore is simply acquiring a rental, they do not also get the option of offering their rental (Parra) and QO and then recovering a comp pick.

traded players cannot be given a QO

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Will Davies be sent to AAA?

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Surprised people thought the Brewers could get more for Parra. I get that he's having a career year, but he's a 2 month rental and just last year people were complaining about him taking playing time away from Khris Davis!

This is a great trade. Davies is a legit starting pitcher prospect

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

That seems like a slight underpay for Parra. It suggests that maybe the teams don't see the QO scenario the way we're seeing it. If it happens, I'll be interested to see what the O's do with him over the winter.

The upside is that going after pitching with Parra is the right balance after the Gomez trade, plus we have to assume our scouts like what they've seen of Davies.

Yeah, I think that's a solid overall assessment. I brought it up last night because I'm not so sure Davies is quite the player ideally I'd want in return for Parra, but I'm sure DM and his team have done their homework to weigh the value of the QO vs. the comp pick vs. this return. In Davies' defense he's young, in the upper levels of the minors and has enjoyed success, moving relatively quickly up the ladder. A good player, I just hoped for someone with a little higher upside.

The Brewers pitching depth in the upper levels is encouraging, even if there isn't that clear-cut ace as others have noted.

Baltimore Sun is also reporting that the trade is just for Davies. Interesting that it didn't happen last night, as that's what had been reported all along. Guessing DM was trying to get more and couldn't, so just went with this trade.

Im sure its likely that several other pieces from both sides were thrown around and nothing could be agreed upon. Like "we'll give you Parra, $2million, and kyle wren for Davies and sisco" im sure 100s of those types of scenarios were thrown around and it ended on "lets just get this done"

Archived