Brewer Fanatic

Parra to Orioles for Zach Davies

billymac
Saw Davies was their #3 prospect and just about died from laughing. That is just pathetic...poor Orioles.

Nick Delmonico was their #4 when we traded k-rod and didn't amount to much of anything

Their system is a bit better now though I would argue. Delmonico, as far as I can recall was never a fringe top 100 prospect. Not saying Davies is light years better ... but I think the ceilings are a bit different.

Thanks. Don't know much about their system.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm moving the topic. That means that the trade will probably happen and we'll have to move it back. :)

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Since Parra is going to be a free agent, how good of a prospect is a team going to give up for him? Would you take Zach Davies over a supplemental first-round pick next year? I don't know, I think this one has taken as long as it has because Melvin has taken the right approach. I believe he will in the end be dealt (among others, the writing is on the wall), but again, it spurns an interesting argument about a decent prospect that has enjoyed success yet has some significant warts (like Davies) vs. adding another pick (and the subsequent bonus pool allocation) in next year's draft.

And assuming the Brewers come close to bottoming out, that bonus pool allocation cannot be taken likely, as they could have a banner draft like the Astros this year or in 2012 when they took Correa and McCullers among others (like Phillips).

I'd take anything we could get for Cotts at this point. Though I think we could maybe get something (not much) for guys like Broxton in August. Very little, but I'd take virtually anything for him at this point.

colby, why would you offer Parra at QO? I'd be very afraid he'd take the 1 year, $16 million.

That would be my thought as well. Parra is a nice player, but is hitting way above his career norms. Better to sell high now than to have a guy take the QO and not produce anywhere near what he has done this year.

Even if he took the offer....is it really that bad? Sure it's an overpay for next season, but we should have plenty of payroll available - ramirez, Gomez, broxton and lohse are all of the books for sure.

And if Parra duplicates this next year, we can still trade him then. There's also the chance he doesn't take it and we get the pick.

All that said....I'd still try to move him today.

Colby I agree with your comment that it is a tough decision to choose between a supplemental first round pick and a pretty good but not great prospect like Davies. But in this case that would assume the Brewers would feel comfortable giving Parra a QO. That is the first question to ask and one I don't think the Brewers would do.

In response to the addtion by subtraction comments (i.e. adding a Broxton to the trade) I am of the opposite camp. Add additional good pieces from our end to pick up better/more prospects. Treat the Broxton money as a sunk cost. The payroll in '16 is going to be much lower (no Lohse, Parra, Gomez, ARam) so even with lower attendance the Brewers should make money.

I would love to add Chase Sisco in a Baltimore trade. I would add pieces to the trade to get him too.

Davies is a 150 lb pitcher. After the Astros trade, Melvin is playing with house money now. He should hold out for Sisco or look at other teams.

I'd rather have the supplemental pick than Davies.

Yeah, my point was assuming that the Brewers would offer the QO and that Parra would decline. We've seen this in recent years with free agents, and in my mind Parra, like Shin-Soo Choo a couple of seasons ago, is playing himself into a big contract. We may not be the ones giving it to him, but someone else will. They always do.

And as brwrsfan notes, the team will have payroll room to do it again. And I guess my point is all about the players currently being offered. I wouldn't make a trade just because most seem to feel as though they have to.

brewmann04, I think the team trading Gomez says a lot and basically opens the door up for just about any other deal, either now or at the waiver deadline. I don't think Braun, Lucroy, Gennett or Davis are going anywhere among the regulars, but Parra, Lind and Segura could very well be. Throw Cotts and Krod into the mix from the pitching staff, as I don't see anyone touching Broxton, Lohse and Garza.

I must admit, I thought the QO discussion was a bit crazy through this week, but the way Parra is playing lately, it's hard not to think he'll decline it in favor of a fairly pricey multi-year deal.

I still expect him to be traded today, but I do think the return needs to be as or more valuable than the pick would bring us in a deep draft.

Would love to be able to get Dylan Bundy somehow. Top 10 overall prospect a few years ago that has stumbled down to #77 on the new MLB list due to injuries. Probably would have to be Parra + another prospect to get him. Parra + Taylor if we know Phillips is the CF of the future.

While it will probably be a moot point because I expect he will be traded, I'm not so sure Parra would accept a QO. While the free agent market for outfielders will be deeper this year, Nick Markakis and Melky Cabrera I believe both got multi-year deals with at least $11 million per year coming off seasons with an OPS 100+ points lower than what Parra has this year. If he keeps this up, it wouldn't shock me if he is seeking something in the neighborhood of 4-48 in the offseason.

I'm where I think Peavey is. That is, part of Parra's trade value for us is the opportunity cost of extending Parra a QO and getting the comp pick. Any team that would trade for him should be in a position to realize that opportunity. So we need more than the rental cost for Parra.

Now, losing the rental cost would be bad for us, since keeping Parra is useless to us right now. So the price at which we should trade him is the rental value plus the value of the comp pick, discounted by the risk that he takes the QO and then plays his value down and also by some measure of the cost to the Brewers of sitting on the asset this year.

Are the Orioles being realistic? I mean they trail Yankees by 6 games and Toronto has added Price and Tulo. Their playoff hopes are alive certainly but longshot wild card at best. Parra would be a nice addition, but enough to overcome that? Or are they just trying to placate a fan base that saw Toronto being the aggressor?

Archived