Brewer Fanatic

Four Astros Prospects Acquired

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Copied from trwi7's post elsewhere on the forum --

From MLB.com

Brett Phillips

Scouting grades: Hit: 55 | Power: 55 | Run: 60 | Arm: 70 | Field: 55 | Overall: 55

An athletic, toolsy outfielder when the Astros drafted him in 2012, Phillips turned that promise into production in a breakout 2014 season. He was named the Astros Minor League Player of the Year after posting a .905 OPS, collecting 153 hits and scoring 87 runs in 130 games between Class A Quad Cities and Class A Advanced Lancaster.

In his first two years in the Minor Leagues, Phillips looked more like a top-of-the-order hitter, thanks to his patience, contact-oriented approach and speed. He tweaked his swing in 2014, allowing him to tap into newfound power, and he hit 17 home runs after not homering in his first two years as a professional. He's also an above-average runner, giving him an intriguing power-speed combination.

Phillips' speed gives him a chance to stick in center field, though some scouts think he's better suited defensively for right field. His strong arm will profile at either position.

Hitting .320/.372/.548 between A+ and AA this year.

Domingo Santana

Scouting Grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 60 | Run: 50 | Arm: 60 | Field: 50 | Overall: 55

Santana was sent to the Astros as the player to be named later to complete the package of prospects they acquired from the Phillies in exchange for Hunter Pence at the 2011 Trade Deadline. He made his Major League debut in 2014, but struggled, striking out 14 times in 18 plate appearances.

There's always been a lot of swing-and-miss in Santana's game and he's struck out more than 130 times in all four of his years in full-season ball. But it's never stopped him from using his big raw power to drive the ball out to every area of the field. Defensively, he's seen time in both corners of the outfield and his arm strength profiles well in right field.

Santana has been young for his league throughout his career. He still has age on his side, giving him plenty of time to make the adjustments necessary to become an everyday player in the big leagues.

Hitting .320/.426/.582 in AAA this year. Has 39 at bats in the big leagues hitting .256/.310/.462

Josh Hader

Scouting grades: Fastball: 60 | Curveball: 45 | Changeup: 50 | Control: 45 | Overall: 50

Hader was lightly scouted in high school as a lankly and soft-tossing left-hander, but the Orioles took a flier on the local product in the 19th round in 2012. He made significant strides in his first year as a professional, and he was one of the key pieces the Astros acquired in exchange for Bud Norris at the 2013 Trade Deadline.

Hader took another step forward in 2014. He was named Pitcher of the Year in the California League and earned a promotion to Double-A Corpus Christi.

Hader's body type and low three-quarters arm slot lead to comparisons to Chris Sale. Hader has seen his velocity jump since he was drafted. He gets good life on his low-90s fastball, which can get up to 96 mph at times. His secondary stuff remains inconsistent, and he'll need to improve it to keep missing bats in the upper levels of the Minor Leagues.

In AA this year he's thrown 65.1 IP, 3.17 ERA, 24 BB, 69 K

Adrian Houser

Scouting grades: Fastball: 60 | Curveball: 55 | Changeup: 45 | Control: 45 | Overall: 45

The Oklahoma high school ranks produced a bumper crop of pitching in 2011, Houser among them. He moved up to full-season ball for the first time in 2014 and pitched well for Class A Quad Cities.

Houser has a big, physical frame and a powerful right arm. His fastball sits in the low to mid 90s with good action. He does a good job of keeping it down in the zone to create groundball outs. His curveball is his best secondary offering and he's improved his changeup in recent years, giving him a solid three-pitch mix. He repeats his delivery well and works around the zone most of the time, but his control still has room for improvement.

Houser comes from a strong baseball family and earns praise for his makeup.

Between A+ and AA this year he's thrown 83 IP, 5.10 ERA, 35 BB, 78 K

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Brewers announce --

RHP Adrian Houser, LHP Josh Hader & OF Brett Phillips assigned to Double-A @BiloxiShuckers.

OF Domingo Santana assigned to Triple-A @skysox.

No corresponding moves will be announced until actual roster space is needed upon arrivals.

The better question is where all of them will slot in our system ranks. Phillips is probably going to be number 2, but after that, it's a bit grayer. Any thoughts, anyone?

I was wondering that myself. I think there's a chance he slots at #1 ahead of Arcia, although it's probably close with those two. I also think Santana and Hader easily move into the top 10, maybe top 5, in the system given the levels they are playing at. If all the prospects keep good momentum the farm system will look much healthier going into 2016.

The better question is where all of them will slot in our system ranks. Phillips is probably going to be number 2, but after that, it's a bit grayer. Any thoughts, anyone?

I was wondering that myself. I think there's a chance he slots at #1 ahead of Arcia, although it's probably close with those two. I also think Santana and Hader easily move into the top 10, maybe top 5, in the system given the levels they are playing at. If all the prospects keep good momentum the farm system will look much healthier going into 2016.

Wow, the prospect watch on MLB.com update quickly. As of 9:37 CST, they had them ranked as follows:

1. Orlando Arcia

2. Brett Phillips

3. Trent Clark

4. Domingo Santana

5. Tyrone Taylor

6. Gilbert Lara

7. Clint Coulter

8. Devin Williams

9. Jorge Lopez

10. Kodi Medeiros

11. Monte Harrison

12. Jake Gatewood

13. Nathan Kirby

14. Josh Hader

15. Tyler Wagner

16. Taylor Williams

17. Michael Reed

18. Yadiel Rivera

19. Demi Orimoloye

20. Marcos Diplan

21. Victor Roache

22. Kyle Wren

23. Miguel Diaz

24. David Goforth

25. Tyler Cravy

26. David Denson

27. Adrian Houser

28. Hobbs Johnson

29. Brandon Woodruff

30. Cody Ponce

Community Moderator
Baseball Prospectus Trade Analysis ARTICLE (subscriber piece) mentions in a recent outing Josh Hader sat 92-94 MPH with his fastball, but touched 97 MPH in the first inning and 95 MPH in the fourth inning.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

For once, the future of Milwaukee sports seems bright, exciting, and anything but average. I was okay with the met trade, but I'm really happy the mets decided they didn't want to pay. Now we just have to hope we nab a top 5 pick. It'll be bumpy, but, man, it'll be a fun ride if the pieces land right.

Archived