Brewer Fanatic

Gomez and Fiers to Houston for four prospects

trwi7
Kind of scares me that the Mets offer was the 1st option. But maybe not. This one may still have been at the Gomez for 3 prospects not including Phillips stage...

Adding Fiers basically doubled the value the Brewers are giving up

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This trade has actually made me happy with Melvin for the first time since I can remember, and I was bottoming out here about 2 hours ago. I would have preferred a package built around impact pitching but that ship sailed already and unless Lucroy goes I don't see how that's possible now... not to mention DM would want some kind of C back in the deal.

I was certain Melvin had blown the opportunity and I was wrong, kudos to him.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Damn, much prefer this deal to what the Mets offered us! Thanks for snapping defeat from the jaws of victory there NY!

It's about time this team went through and got back to small market fundamentals and reloaded our farm system. We might suck for the next couple of years, but a Top 5 draft pick next year and a few moves and we have a chance to make something happen once these guys reach the big league roster.

This wasn't better than the Mets offer than people are making it seem. Mike Fiers has a lot more value than you think. I prefer this one just because it is experienced prospects. Wheeler has tremendous value , but we would only get 3.5 years of him. He may not become that high ceiling player in that short time.

Still a very good trade.

I have posted a few times over the last day that I was afraid that Melvin wasn't going to get anything done. When I'm wrong, I admit it, and in this case I am absolutely thrilled to be wrong, this is leaps and bounds better than the Mets package. Sure, we gave up Fiers as well, but he isn't young and isn't really a power arm. I will miss he and Gomez though, I wish them both all the best in Houston.

This trade has actually made me happy with Melvin for the first time since I can remember, and I was bottoming out here about 2 hours ago. I would have preferred a package built around impact pitching but that ship sailed already and unless Lucroy goes I don't see how that's possible now... not to mention DM would want some kind of C back in the deal.

I was certain Melvin had blown the opportunity and I was wrong, kudos to him.

Yeah, feeling the same. Even though we didn't get that impact pitching prospect, we got a couple of intriguing pitchers as well as a really good and one great outfield prospect.

This trade to me signals a direction that needed to happen and I'm happy it has. Take our lumps for a few years and build up the farm system and then go and win the World Series in 2019.

Found this post on an Astros fan site:

Ok, I grew up as a Brewer fan, and still check out fan sites. They love the trade. Fiers is what he is. He's not going to blow you away, he's been up and down. Gomez has always had potential, some games looks amazing and sometimes makes boneheaded plays, especially on the bases. That said, I think the Astros have solidified themselves for a run in October and I can't wait!

Archived