Brewer Fanatic

Gomez and Fiers to Houston for four prospects

trwi7
Fiers pitched his first inning in relief tonight. Gave up 6 hits, 2 walks and 5 runs.

He's not going to get to start for them? Can't imagine that sits well for Fiers. I think he's earned to be a starter in this league.

He's the employee, he does what he's told, "earned" has nothing to do with it. He's probably better than 2 of Houston's starting pitchers but it's a different team in a different league.

He hasn't "earned" anything as far as Houston is concerned, there's more to this stuff than ERA or lame FIP. He's a smoke and mirrors guy who's on the downside of his career already. I might be in the minority but I've never trusted those guys which is why I've been so vehemently against every single one of the Brewers' FA pitching acquisitions, they've all been pitchers without stuff on the down side of their careers, and every contract has ended abysmally.

If we aren't able to sign guys like that for less than 3 years then don't make the freaking deal.

Houston is being cautious and rightly so, but I doubt Fiers will continue to pitch terribly in relief, and he may well end up in their starting rotation yet as well. Casual Houston fans are probably pissed about trading for the Brewers' trash right now...

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He was to start Tuesday. Mccullers got 1out today. Next RP got it through the 2nd. Fiers went 4ip in relief. Wasn't likely mentally prepared under the circumstances.

^This. Wasn't expecting to go, got caught off-guard, wasn't able to do his normal warm-up and prep routine, not surprised he didn't do well. If the game goes extra innings you start to get mentally ready, but you don't expect to get called into action in the third inning the day before you are scheduled to start.

also, I REALLY hope Fiers does well in Houston, but I have to kind of wonder how much having Lucroy catching played into his success. Houston as a team has hit 83 Hrs at home vs 50 on the road, while the pitchers have given up 46 HRs at home vs 38 on the road. Fiers had given up 32 at home vs only 9 on the road, in 30 plus games. I hope nothing but success for him, but I wont miss those miller park bombs he gave up!

6 ER, 1 HR so far at Houston.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

6.2 IP, 5 H, 1 ER (a solo HR, of course), 1 BB, 5 K yesterday. Bullpen blew it though (you know, there's this K-Rod guy we can trade you too...)

Yeah, I can't believe that no one will take a flyer on K-Rod with the need that contenders have for good relief pitching this time of year. He's been so good this year and it's not like we are looking for a top 50 prospect.

I realize the domestic history is a deterrent, but I didn't think that would make him virtually untradeable.

• 1 month later...

It is starting to look like we fleeced Houston on this trade... Gomez has been next to zero help to them since the trade.

Now we have a member of that front office as our GM... I hope he fares better with us.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

This is why you trade players while they still have value instead of holding onto them as long as possible. Too bad we couldn't have figured this out sooner.

I am assuming you mean that we should have done so because you felt we shouldn't have fooled ourselves into thinking we had a chance to win these past couple seasons. While we can debate whether the team had an actual chance to win I don't know why anyone would be in favor of trading players who could help us win a pennant just because they are at peak value.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Yes that is what I meant. You don't trade your stars if you are going to compete for a pennant. I had no problem with them hanging onto fielder for instance. I'm thinking more of guys who you keep just to win a few more games. We clearly weren't going to be a contender next season so hanging onto Gomez would have been foolish. Similarly I think hanging onto Lind would be foolish.

Yes that is what I meant. You don't trade your stars if you are going to compete for a pennant. I had no problem with them hanging onto fielder for instance. I'm thinking more of guys who you keep just to win a few more games. We clearly weren't going to be a contender next season so hanging onto Gomez would have been foolish. Similarly I think hanging onto Lind would be foolish.

The only way i can envision Lind not being traded this offseason by our new GM is if Attanasio is still playing his quasi-GM role along with being owner.

I'm very pleased to see a new GM in place and hopefully Montgomery is kept in his job, but the biggest question for me still is just how much influence Attanasio will keep exerting on say if Stearns would prefer rebuilding longer than Attanasio might prefer, what kinds of moves trade wise he'll allow Stearns to make if Attanasio would prefer not trading a certain player/players, and will Attanasio stop being so involved in free agent signings?

I get that he owns the team and if i owned a professional sports franchise, it could be hard for me to just sit on the sidelines if my GM wanted to do something which i wasn't thrilled with. That said, owners hire a GM because that guy is supposed to know more about the sport than you do. So it would be nice to stop reading stories in the paper where the Brewers GM is asked about the status of a free agent the team is rumored to be going after and the GM says, ask Mark, he's handling that. Or no more stories of Attanasio talking about his long negotiating sessions with various agents during free agency and eventually a free agent is signed.

It is starting to look like we fleeced Houston on this trade... Gomez has been next to zero help to them since the trade.

Now we have a member of that front office as our GM... I hope he fares better with us.

[sarcasm]Yes, no good GM has ever been on the losing side of a trade. I think we should re-consider[/sarcasm]

[sarcasm]Yes, no good GM has ever been on the losing side of a trade. I think we should re-consider[/sarcasm]

Exactly.

1) they still have all of next year with Gomez at only 8million or they can flip him for more top prospects this summer. Go Go is still a top notch player despite a down season.

2) They have Fiers for another 2-3 years at super cheap & he had tossed a no no for them (that alone almost makes it worth it for fans, we been waiting over 25 years) and overall he has been sharp since his horrible debut.

They are a team going for it all so of course they are going to overpay a little bit in terms of prospects at deadline. I thought it was a very good deal on both sides of the table. In no way would I question Luhnow or Stearns abilities as a GM based on that.

Luhnow & Stearns have seen the Astros win totals increase 20 wins a season about the last 3 years..... But yeah this Go Go/Fiers trade is a huge red flag.....

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Your sarcasm, though misplaced, has been noted....thank you.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Houston gave up four good prospects but got back some pretty good players. The Astros are primed to be contenders for a few years right now, and Gomez and Fiers fit needs to accomplish that goal. They decided they needed major league ready players now, so they made the deal. That's how you use your assets. Some times you trade prospects, some times you don't. There are a lot of factors involved. To me it's not about winning or losing a deal - it's making moves (or not) at the right time. Ideally, it benefits both parties.

As for Gomez not playing well, he's got a playoffs (potentially) this year, plus 2016, to make an impact. If he cracks a home run in the Wild Card game to get them to the next step no one will really remember how he did in the regular season.

And 4.5 years of Fiers is nothing to sneeze at. He's a solid veteran arm who will fill a big need for the club over the next few years.

Should be noted that Houston did not deplete their farm system with this trade. That have some excellent prospects. So, unlike Milwaukee in 2011, they will continue to fill their ranks with some quality looking prospects.

Houston is a big market and really don't have any big contracts I can think of on the team. If he does well next year they might try to keep Gomez, or maybe they think they can get him cheaper this offseason after the down year. It could easily work for both teams.

What reilly said about using your assets when you're contenders. I fully agree. However, isn't this what lots of people on here complain about when the Brewers did it and act like our management was idiotic for doing it. Just reminding those folks this is how it's done by everyone and our management weren't bumbling incompetents for doing it. Two of the current examples of smart rebuilds done right (Royals, Houston) just did it.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Houston is a big market and really don't have any big contracts I can think of on the team. If he does well next year they might try to keep Gomez, or maybe they think they can get him cheaper this offseason after the down year. It could easily work for both teams.

What reilly said about using your assets when you're contenders. I fully agree. However, isn't this what lots of people on here complain about when the Brewers did it and act like our management was idiotic for doing it. Just reminding those folks this is how it's done by everyone and our management weren't bumbling incompetents for doing it. Two of the current examples of smart rebuilds done right (Royals, Houston) just did it.

I didn't like the Cueto trade for the Royals. They were cruising without him, and he's been bad since being a Royal. The whole "you need good starting pitching to win in the playoffs" is nonsense. You need to score more runs than the other team. This mantra has been proven wrong multiple times recently. The Royals have a really really good bullpen, and a top 5 offense which doesn't rely heavily on homeruns.

That being said, Omar Infante has been horrible, and Ben Zobrist has been really good since they traded for him.

Archived