Brewer Fanatic

Rick Porcello

He is my favorite prospect and the draft but I think he might be the guy who starts to drop because of Boras.

If he falls to the Brewers I have a feeling because of their lack of picks early on in the draft they might bite the bullett draft him and give him the major league contract for 10M which would be totally out of character but this guy could be the best prospect in the entire draft.

Today Goldstein at BP has Porcello dropping all the way down to Detroit at #27.

If true the Tigers could be adding another power arm to their system which is littered with them.

THis waht I have been suspecting all along. The real loop hole MLB needs to close is the ability of guys like Porcello and previous Borass clients to go off and wait a year and re-enter the draft the next year and get what they want.

If you get drafted (since they have dumped DFE), make them have to wait two years before they can re-enter the draft just like guys who got to college.

Ditto for guys who go to JC. Make them lose two years of income and top level competetion to wait around and turn it into a real risk. Some how some real risk has to be attached to Borass' strong arming.

I couldn't agree more. Two year minimum. If I was a major leaguer, looking at how much money the first rounders get, I'd be really angry. I'd be thinking "hey, some of that dough is mine!" I'd walk up to the general manager and say "hey jerk, you think some snot-nosed kid is worth more than me; I put in the time; I humped it for 4 years in the minors, 6 in the majors, and now you're gonna give this guy more than I'm making--get out!" Why are major leaguers so stupid?

of course, a player that takes off for Independent ball for a year runs the risk of injury without being paid the big bucks and could end up being never the same kind of player. I'm sure it's happened before and will happen again.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I'm just so glad that the Tigers swooped in their and got this guy. I woulda puked if the fell to the Yankees. I'd rather have a Detroit dynasty. Picks like this will certainly keep the BoSox and Yanks spending billions on free agents.

Quote:
I'm just so glad that the Tigers swooped in their and got this guy. I woulda puked if the fell to the Yankees. I'd rather have a Detroit dynasty. Picks like this will certainly keep the BoSox and Yanks spending billions on free agents.

I agree.

However I wished the Brewers would have taken a shot at him.

It seems that there are 25 or so teams abiding by these slot rules and there are 4 or 5 that are not.

THe 4 or 5 that are not essentially make the slot rules meaningless and the teams that abide continue to get hurt by the rule while the Detroits, New Yorks and Bostons fatten up. I don't think that is the purpose of a draft.

The one thing hockey does right with it's drafted kids is puts a 3 year first contract with a maximum salary. You can sign any guy to the maximum but no more. Performance bonuses can be got around to an extent but then you know the guy is performing. It would make things a lot easier if MLB didn't just suggest signing slots but made them the maximum. Would also make agents almost irrelevant.

Well, they're taking on some serious risk...they took a long time to sign Maybin and played hardball with him, but there was a point when it looked like they'd lose him. Porcello is said to want to go to UNC, so they could well end up with nothing but a comp pick. It remains to be seen if Porcello really wants $10M, but this negotiation will be one to watch...seems very likely that they will go down to the wire.

The Tigers have Casey Crosby as a backup, a kid the Brewers almost drafted but who wanted $700K, more than the Brewers were willing to pay.

Quote:
Well, they're taking on some serious risk...they took a long time to sign Maybin and played hardball with him, but there was a point when it looked like they'd lose him. Porcello is said to want to go to UNC, so they could well end up with nothing but a comp pick. It remains to be seen if Porcello really wants $10M, but this negotiation will be one to watch...seems very likely that they will go down to the wire.

The Tigers have Casey Crosby as a backup, a kid the Brewers almost drafted but who wanted $700K, more than the Brewers were willing to pay.

Is there any risk if they give him what he wants ultimately.

Tigers have essentially negotiated to the final moment to get the price down and then agreed to outrageously lavish contracts with guys like Porcello. They will give him and Boras what they want at 11PM on Aug 14th.

Archived