Brewer Fanatic

Gomez not traded/Flores cries/Alderson angry/Haudricourt confused/Melvin nonplussed/Gomez=Not Injured/Scott Boras MAD/Mets are lying liars

And That
Verified Member

I'm downgrading this away from "worst trade in franchise history" ( :laughing ) but mainly because of Wilmer Flores, who I am starting to like. He was getting Miguel Cabrera comps back when he was a huge international signing as a 16-year-old, and his minor league stats are impressive. If the Brewers just let him play 3B rather than shove him into 2B/SS, maybe he could blossom by escaping the Mets' garbage player development (see: Carlos Gomez).

Wheeler is good too, though I don't see an ace there.

Really all that's killing me is that both these guys have two years of team control burnt... Could really use those extra two years when we're talking about high-upside gambles.

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This trade definitely showed they preferred proven MLB ready guys. One guy will quickly become our #1 pitcher when he is healthy and another guy will immediately be our 3B(I would guess). Will be interesting to see if this is a trend in other deadline deals we make in the next 2 days. Signs are pointing to a slight rebuild, but in theory a quicker turnaround.

Or maybe the Mets were the only team to submit a serious offer.

I get why fans are pessimistic given Attanasio is our owner and a full out rebuilding plan is something he seems to loathe the idea of, but for now at least, we can only guess if other teams made an offer for Carlos and if so, who were the players offered.

I am not being pessimistic myself, but I do think the fact both guys are MLB experienced means something. It could mean nothing, but quite the coincidence don't you think?

Verified Member
This trade definitely showed they preferred proven MLB ready guys. One guy will quickly become our #1 pitcher when he is healthy and another guy will immediately be our 3B(I would guess). Will be interesting to see if this is a trend in other deadline deals we make in the next 2 days. Signs are pointing to a slight rebuild, but in theory a quicker turnaround.

This is my preferred method. Why would we go nuts on A prospects who could flame at several times the rate when you can get young controlled talent that is MLB ready or very close to it? It's a smart business move, especially with all the high upside draft picks we've been making recently. Makes no sense to me to do the former, although surely I will be trashed shortly.

Commence trashing: Because you can normally get a greater quantity of prospects if they are a few years away, and if you are a few years away from competing anyway there is no reason to get MLB ready guys whose service time will be wasted before the team is ultimately competitive.

That said, I'm fairly happy with this deal. Gomez isn't quite having the year he's had the last couple of years, and he was gone after next year regardless. We have a lot of guys who are cheap for the next 4-5 years, so hopefully the competition between them brings out the best and we get a few surprise All-Stars.

Verified Member
SRB is coming off the ledge guys! Someone go pull Boomer5 off!

The other thing pulling me off the ledge is the fact that Carlos Gomez hasn't been all the great this season, let's be honest. If he were having another MVP campaign, might be a different story.

The other thing pulling me off the ledge is the fact that Carlos Gomez hasn't been all the great this season, let's be honest. If he were having another MVP campaign, might be a different story.

If he was having another MVP campaign we might not even be selling and if we were, we'd get more back.

Agreed. If he was having a huge healthy season the entire league would be bulldozing the front doors of Miller Park down. Sadly he isn't and we took a fair trade. We could have waited, but a major injury or continued average play and we could have really gone south in trade talks.

This is my preferred method. Why would we go nuts on A prospects who could flame at several times the rate when you can get young controlled talent that is MLB ready or very close to it? It's a smart business move, especially with all the high upside draft picks we've been making recently. Makes no sense to me to do the former, although surely I will be trashed shortly.

Commence trashing: Because you can normally get a greater quantity of prospects if they are a few years away, and if you are a few years away from competing anyway there is no reason to get MLB ready guys whose service time will be wasted before the team is ultimately competitive.

That said, I'm fairly happy with this deal. Gomez isn't quite having the year he's had the last couple of years, and he was gone after next year regardless. We have a lot of guys who are cheap for the next 4-5 years, so hopefully the competition between them brings out the best and we get a few surprise All-Stars.

I agree with MrTPLush. The Brewers are actually a .500 team. They had a crazy hot start last year, and then played .500. They got off to a crazy bad start this year and have basically played .500 since. Maybe moving Gomez frees money to keep Parra or sign another bat in the off-season and we move to an above .500 team (when Wheeler gets healthy, we'll have several nice young starters)

That's true. He hasn't been the mega star and he is going to be the guy who is always hurt.

Wheeler and Flores are just guys though. They are certainly MLB capable but Wheeler comes with the TJ and the walks, Flores with that Milwaukee hacking away mentality.

Hard to get excited here.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Uh now Alderson is saying there is no trade.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Alderson is adamant. No trade with Brewers.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Oh this is hit massive awkward level.

Right?

Uh now Alderson is saying there is no trade.

he has to say that in case Wheeler medicals don;t please Milw.

Most GMs will just be mum on the subject...He just came out and flat out said it won't happen. There might be something to this.

Archived