Brewer Fanatic

Gomez not traded/Flores cries/Alderson angry/Haudricourt confused/Melvin nonplussed/Gomez=Not Injured/Scott Boras MAD/Mets are lying liars

And That

Two things.

1) who cares who will play where next yr, who will replace x, etc. It is a rerebuilding yr. Lots of moves to be made between now and 2017.

2) Really think Melvin should have insisted on a low minors guy thrown in to this deal. Not the Mets top 1 or 2 guys, but someone with high ceiling.

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering that Parra, Lind and Cotts are likely to be traded, plus who knows who else, and who knows who we're getting back, any 2016 lineup you conjure up at the moment is probably not worth the effort.

I like this trade if no other reason than it seems like the Brewers are leaning towards actually rebuilding a little bit. Hopefully we will see another handful of veterans traded away in the next few days as well.

Somebody will have to explain to me why Flores isn't a shortstop. UZR seems to think he's at least adequate. I'll take the 20 HR upside in an adequate SS. Wheeler I think is being underrated. As soon as he's back he's the Brewer's ace (yes, I know that isn't saying much). TJ is much less of a big deal this days. Still concerning but pitchers come back from it regularly with good success.

The deal does fall in line with how DM and Mark A. work however. IMO this was probably the best major league ready talent that was offered. I think the return would've been potentially more (more risk also) had they gone to a package younger prospects. To me it signifies they are not re-building but only trying to re-tool for next year. Not sure how I feel about that. But as far as the return, I think its a fair deal.

Clancymakes a good point on the service clock issue.

Then play Sardinas there.

You're talking about the guy who posted a .493 OPS in his brief stint in Milwaukee, and a .645 OPS in Colorado Springs.

That's kinda... underwhelming.

Granted he's 22, and probably was rushed to the majors, but Segura looks like a better option at short than Sardinas right now.

The Brewers are clearly rebuilding, Clancy. There's no need for position shenanigans when they just traded Aram and Gomez. Just put players on the field.

I'm reasonably happy with this trade. I guess I'm a bit confused about Flores...it seems like we already have a glut of SS type players, and now we've added another one? I would have to think Segura gets dealt now. But who knows? Can't wait for the inevtiably endless "Flores is mentally weak" posts on here, since he was tearing up on the field tonight.

Baseball is weird.

Flores is just not a SS, he never was, but the Mets forced him there out of necessity. He'll play 2B or 3B here, I'm sure.

This trade definitely showed they preferred proven MLB ready guys. One guy will quickly become our #1 pitcher when he is healthy and another guy will immediately be our 3B(I would guess). Will be interesting to see if this is a trend in other deadline deals we make in the next 2 days. Signs are pointing to a slight rebuild, but in theory a quicker turnaround.

Verified Member

Does anyone know why Flores fell off top-100 lists after 2011? In 2012 he had an .827 OPS as a 20-year-old at A+/AA, but didn't make any pre-2013 lists. In 2013 he had an .887 OPS at AAA as a 21-year-old but didn't make any pre-2014 lists (I think he was still eligible despite some MLB service time).

He was in a hitter-friendly league, but still, just seems like the hype didn't match the stats.

This trade reminds me of David Price to DET last deadline. Wheeler is probably a little more highly regarded than Drew Smyly and Flores more or less equals Nick Franklin. Unfortunately it doesn't look like we are getting back a Willy Adames.

In that light I think the return is a little soft. Granted elite pitchers always draw a premium at the deadline but the fact that Gomez is over 10 million cheaper than Price was when traded while providing similar value makes me think we should at least be getting a teenage lottery ticket in addition to Wheeler/Flores.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
This is the Carlos Lee trade all over again.

Mench was 28 years old. Flores is 23. Not even close.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

This trade definitely showed they preferred proven MLB ready guys. One guy will quickly become our #1 pitcher when he is healthy and another guy will immediately be our 3B(I would guess). Will be interesting to see if this is a trend in other deadline deals we make in the next 2 days. Signs are pointing to a slight rebuild, but in theory a quicker turnaround.

Not a bad option.

There is more than one way to rebuild. Some are rougher on the major-league fans than others.

This is my preferred method. Why would we go nuts on A prospects who could flame at several times the rate when you can get young controlled talent that is MLB ready or very close to it? It's a smart business move, especially with all the high upside draft picks we've been making recently. Makes no sense to me to do the former, although surely I will be trashed shortly.

The Mets acquired Wheeler from the Giants (who'd taken him #6 overall out of HS in '09) on July 28, 2011 for a then-34 year old Carlos Beltrán... from whom they got 179 total PAs before he left in FA at the end of the season. 4 years later they flip Wheeler+ for 1 year & 2 months of Gómez.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Not mention Cordero was a 31 year closer with one year of control & Wheeler is a 25 year old starter with four years of control.

Or maybe the Mets were the only team to submit a serious offer.

I get why fans are pessimistic given Attanasio is our owner and a full out rebuilding plan is something he seems to loathe the idea of, but for now at least, we can only guess if other teams made an offer for Carlos and if so, who were the players offered.

It's that hybrid not quite rebuilding trade of an elite player for MLB caliber for sure, but lesser players nonetheless.

Wheeler could be a 2 but likely a 3/4 and we have plenty of those. Flores looks replacement level at 3B.

I am sorry but that is crazy. Lee was traded for guys who had been majors for a while including a closer. Mench was 28, Cordero was 31, and Nix was 25. The Brewers just traded for two guys who are young and under control for the foreseeable future. The Brewers also threw in Cruz in that deal. These deals have zero similarity

Yep. And Wheeler isn't a 30+ year old reliever.

This trade obviously isn't the Carlos Lee trade redux... it's clearly the Suppan contract all over again, multiplied by the Jeffrey Hammonds signing, to the salad tongs/suitcase power. Aka literally worse than Nickelback.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived