Brewer Fanatic

Gomez not traded/Flores cries/Alderson angry/Haudricourt confused/Melvin nonplussed/Gomez=Not Injured/Scott Boras MAD/Mets are lying liars

And That
If Wheeler returns to form, this deal is OK.

Flores, I see as very valuable. Segura and Gennett can platoon at second, while Hernan Perez can hold down third. Flores can play shortstop - and that means that Orlando Arcia stays in the minors for all of 2016.

How much is not starting Orlando Arcia's MLB service-time clock until 2017 worth?

Wilmer Flores should not be playing SS. No one thinks he can play there...Mets did it out of complete need. He really needs to be at 3B or possibly 2B.

Clancy doesn't value defense. At all.

Wait is Clancy the guy who wants Braun back at third?

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Wheeler returns to form, this deal is OK.

Flores, I see as very valuable. Segura and Gennett can platoon at second, while Hernan Perez can hold down third. Flores can play shortstop - and that means that Orlando Arcia stays in the minors for all of 2016.

How much is not starting Orlando Arcia's MLB service-time clock until 2017 worth?

Wilmer Flores should not be playing SS. No one thinks he can play there...Mets did it out of complete need. He really needs to be at 3B or possibly 2B.

The Brewers have Hernan Perez at third. The general consensus is that Segura is NOT someone people here want as the every day shortstop for the Brewers. That kinda makes Flores the Brewers SS by default.

Again, I'll ask: How much is delaying the start of Orlando Arcia's MLB service worth?

Or, keep him at short, have Hernan Perez at third, while platooning Segura and Gennett at second is an option.

If the Brewers are creative enough... Orlando Arcia's service clock doesn't start until sometime in 2017.

You're the only one saying this (twice now) and I don't think its accurate in any way.

I do think it's true that if Wheeler wasn't hurt, we wouldn't have gotten him either..

Have seen a few people post this, and if you truly believe it to be true, I have a hard time seeing how you can't be happy with the trade. TJ surgery is a much smaller deal than it once was, and it's a classic buy low/sell high scenario. I love Carlos, but his value is at an all time high (actually last year would've been higher), and you've traded him for a guy with upside that would've been too high for Gomez to net in a trade without a bit of injury risk. And oh yeah, another once-top-prospect who is still young with much potential.

Is it a risk? Of course. But there's reasonable potential for a big return. I'm no expert on prospects, but seems like a pretty solid deal to me.

I am not Shea Vucinich

Clancy doesn't value defense. At all.

Wait is Clancy the guy who wants Braun back at third?

Yeah, I was thinking Braun at third was a better option.

And yeah... I think people make too much of a big deal about defense, especially when the player involved has an impact bat.

Segura is basically a goner at this point, right? SS is Arcia's, and this trade signals they want Flores at 2B. Segura can't hit enough for 3B and I don't see him in CF. Sardinas can fill in at SS until Arcia is ready and move to a utility role after that.

Maybe he'll be traded by Friday too?

They lack LH bats and Gennett is more accomplished than Perez so I'd guess Flores takes over at 3B, not 2B, with Perez relegated back to RH platoon at 2B. Hector Gomez figures to be DFA'd.

I am afraid the Brewers are trying to compete in 2017. That's great and all except that would mean we take Lucroy into his final year here and risk losing him for a comp pick...which I am no fan of.I hope they trade him, but this makes me a little worried they might not now.

Yeah, I was thinking Braun at third was a better option.

And yeah... I think people make too much of a big deal about defense, especially when the player involved has an impact bat.

No. The problem is that you place absolutely zero value on defense which in turn completely invalidates your ideas. The fact you still think Braun can play 3rd in the majors is proof of that.

I am afraid the Brewers are trying to compete in 2017. That's great and all except that would mean we take Lucroy into his final year here and risk losing him for a comp pick...which I am no fan of.I hope they trade him, but this makes me a little worried they might not now.

Who replaces Lucroy?

Right now, it's Maldonado (.523 OPS), Centeno (.589 OPS - in COLORADO SPRINGS), or Weisenburger (decent OBP at AA, but getting older) in-house, meaning the Brewers go on the free-agent market for... who?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Who replaces Lucroy?

Right now, it's Maldonado (.523 OPS), Centeno (.589 OPS - in COLORADO SPRINGS), or Weisenburger (decent OBP at AA, but getting older) in-house, meaning the Brewers go on the free-agent market for... who?

Trade for a prospect?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

It's a long way until the 2016 opener much less the 2017 season. Nobody knows what the roster will look like in either year. The plan appears to be to take your chances with an up and coming controllable rotation. If they are good enough to contend now is that really a bad thing? They have plenty of room financially to fill in around their young players already here with some vets that can be flipped in a year or two anyway.

Who replaces Lucroy?

Well you sign a free agent this off season or next offseason...you could trade for one. I mean there are many ways. We don't need to get Yadier Molina in his prime to play there.

Who replaces Lucroy?

If we trade Lucroy, why would it matter. That would obviously signal a complete rebuild and plenty of time to find a future catcher.

I'm reasonably happy with this trade. I guess I'm a bit confused about Flores...it seems like we already have a glut of SS type players, and now we've added another one? I would have to think Segura gets dealt now. But who knows? Can't wait for the inevtiably endless "Flores is mentally weak" posts on here, since he was tearing up on the field tonight.

Baseball is weird.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Wheeler was the #5 prospect in all of baseball prior to the 2013 season. TJ is not a death sentence. Shoulder problems would be a much bigger deal. Heck Adam Wainwright missed 2011 with TJ and in 2013 he was second in the Cy Young balloting.

This. Exactly 100%

I'm pretty thrilled with this trade honestly.

While Wheeler has never been lights out dominant at any level in his pro career, he is a legit bigtime pitching prospect, the likes of which the Brewers have not had since Ben Sheets graced the Miller Park mound.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I've become a huge Parra fan this year but a Khrush, Parra, Braun OF would be beyond bad defensively. 3 LF.

Defensive metrics don't tell the whole story. Braun plays a solid, reliable RF. Parra's a Gold Glover who's solid in all 3 spots who's at minimum a smart & highly serviceable CF. Davis' arm isn't great but he makes the plays in LF, including many good ones.

Clancymakes a good point on the service clock issue.

Then play Sardinas there.

You're talking about the guy who posted a .493 OPS in his brief stint in Milwaukee, and a .645 OPS in Colorado Springs.

That's kinda... underwhelming.

Granted he's 22, and probably was rushed to the majors, but Segura looks like a better option at short than Sardinas right now.

Archived