Brewer Fanatic

Gomez not traded/Flores cries/Alderson angry/Haudricourt confused/Melvin nonplussed/Gomez=Not Injured/Scott Boras MAD/Mets are lying liars

And That
  • Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flores' profile reminds me of gomez while he was with the mets...different style of players for sure, but both were rushed a bit to MLB.

Hoping Flores can benefit from a change of scenery, and wheeler regains his form as a pitcher with top of the rotation talent.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I really dislike this deal. We can HOPE that Wheeler reverts back to form after recovering from his injury but for this to be the centerpiece of a deal for someone who I believe was our best player (and who is not a FA going into next season) is not the return that I was hoping for. At all.

You would hope that a prospect would turn into something too.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Verified Member

So what is our starting lineup looking like mid/late-2016?

C J. Lucroy

1B J. Rogers?

2B W. Flores

SS O. Arcia

3B M. Dominguez? J. Segura?

LF K. Davis

CF T. Taylor? J. Segura?

RF R. Braun

SP Z. Wheeler

SP J. Nelson

SP M. Fiers

SP T. Jungmann

SP W. Peralta

I really dislike this deal. We can HOPE that Wheeler reverts back to form after recovering from his injury but for this to be the centerpiece of a deal for someone who I believe was our best player (and who is not a FA going into next season) is not the return that I was hoping for. At all.

You would hope that a prospect would turn into something too.

QFT

I'm on board with others as being unimpressed with this return. A pitcher currently out with tj and another middling infielder similar to segura sardines we already have. Kind of worried they're trying to work these trades into retools to compete next year instead actual rebuilds like we'd prefer. Gomez was a top 5 player the last two years under team control for next year for cheap and it seems we got less than all the other deals that have happened for lesser rental players

I would be super happy with this deal IF Gomez was only signed through this season. I can't say that I am completely unhappy, but I'm not jumping for joy either. Just really wanted more.

I knew we weren't going to be able to pull one of the other 4 Mets starters for Gomez, but was sure hoping for a miracle. I do think it's true that if Wheeler wasn't hurt, we wouldn't have gotten him either.

Times like these are bittersweet for Brewer fans. We grow attached to players like Gomez (even though he frustrated the heck out of me on a regular basis), and know we can't sign them when their contract is up, so we have to say good bye.

Best of luck to Carlos.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

If Wheeler isn't ready to go until July 2016, does that give us an extra year of team control in 2020? Would be nice if so.

No, he was on the MLB roster when he was injured so he collects MLB service time while on the DL.

Wheeler was the 11th ranked prospect by BA overall to start 2013. Now, you can knock him down to say 25 or 30 based on the injury and already accumulated service time and Flores was a top 60ish prospect at one point.

Like I said before, I would've preferred a pitching prospect like Molina to Flores but it's not like Flores lacks talent. Everyone was saying we needed a top 20ish and top 50ish prospect for Gomez and that's basically what we got.

^^^ This is exactly how I feel. Would have preferred a prospect, but we got two guys who once ranked in top 60 of all MLB prospects. We got them for 8 total years of control versus 1.3 years of Gomez. Flores had an OPS of nearly .900 as a 20 year old in Double A.

Flores isn't the same as our current infielders in that he actually has power and has shown in in the minors. He's only 23 and was probably in the majors too soon.

He fits well at third (where we have nobody) or 2b if we want to live segura to third. Maybe the change of scenery will help him.

C J. Lucroy

1B J. Rogers?

2B J. Segura?

SS O. Arcia

3B W. Flores?

LF K. Davis

CF T. Taylor?

RF R. Braun

SP Z. Wheeler

SP J. Nelson

SP M. Fiers

SP T. Jungmann

SP W. Peralta

Well presumably Lind brings back Piscotti and Parra brings back a big arm like a Zobrist package.

If Wheeler returns to form, this deal is OK.

Flores, I see as very valuable. Segura and Gennett can platoon at second, while Hernan Perez can hold down third. Flores can play shortstop - and that means that Orlando Arcia stays in the minors for all of 2016.

How much is not starting Orlando Arcia's MLB service-time clock until 2017 worth?

Jason Heyward went for Shelby Miller straight up. Assuming Wheeler returns healthy from the TJ surgery, I think getting Wheeler+ is a fair return for an OF like Gomez. Wheeler is a really good pitcher, I agree that most are undervaluing him right now.

I swear you people will complain no matter what. Everyone cries for a high upside pitcher and we finally find out how to get one and all you people can do is complain about some negatives. Yup he isn't Syndergaard and we had no chance of getting someone that perfect. If we want a front line starter we had to take a guy with some baggage. Unless of course you want to trust our garbage scouting department on finding guys in the low minors. No thanks.

Hopefully you guys can realize what reality is like and not this perfect world where teams throw around Syndergaard type players.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Wheeler was the #5 prospect in all of baseball prior to the 2013 season. TJ is not a death sentence. Shoulder problems would be a much bigger deal. Heck Adam Wainwright missed 2011 with TJ and in 2013 he was second in the Cy Young balloting.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Verified Member

Wilmer Flores's minor league numbers as a 21/22-year-old at AAA are pretty exciting, no doubt.

There were reports that the Brewers wanted 2B Dilson Herrera but were rebuffed, so I'm guessing they want to use Flores at 2B.

Flores was a Top 100 prospect on the way up, the Mets did him a major disservice, playing him out of position while he breaks in - the man is NOT a shortstop.

Flores will no doubt get a shot at 2B, and 3B, wherever he fits - he's not garbage, he has some power, folks, the question is, will get on base in the big leagues? He's going to be a project, but there's plenty of potential there.

Wheeler ... I like him, but I never was sold on him as an elite prospect. I don't think he's going to be great, but I think he's going to be good, and he has the chance to be better than anyone currently in the Brewers' rotation.

It's not an overwhelming return, but this is two guys with plenty of potential. I wish it was a little bit more, but this isn't a terrible move by any means.

Give the kid a chance to play where he belongs, and wait on Wheeler ... that's about the size of this.

Flores, I see as very valuable. Segura and Gennett can platoon at second, while Hernan Perez can hold down third. Flores can play shortstop - and that means that Orlando Arcia stays in the minors for all of 2016.

How much is not starting Orlando Arcia's MLB service-time clock until 2017 worth?

Wilmer Flores should not be playing SS. No one thinks he can play there...Mets did it out of complete need. He really needs to be at 3B or possibly 2B.

Flores isn't the same as our current infielders in that he actually has power and has shown in in the minors. He's only 23 and was probably in the majors too soon.

He fits well at third (where we have nobody) or 2b if we want to live segura to third. Maybe the change of scenery will help him.

Or, keep him at short, have Hernan Perez at third, while platooning Segura and Gennett at second is an option.

If the Brewers are creative enough... Orlando Arcia's service clock doesn't start until sometime in 2017.

Wilmer Flores should not be playing SS. No one thinks he can play there...Mets did it out of complete need. He really needs to be at 3B or possibly 2B.

Clancy doesn't value defense. At all.

Verified Member

Segura is basically a goner at this point, right? SS is Arcia's, and this trade signals they want Flores at 2B. Segura can't hit enough for 3B and I don't see him in CF. Sardinas can fill in at SS until Arcia is ready and move to a utility role after that.

Maybe he'll be traded by Friday too?

C J. Lucroy

1B J. Rogers?

2B W. Flores

SS O. Arcia

3B M. Dominguez? J. Segura?

LF K. Davis

CF T. Taylor? J. Segura?

RF R. Braun

SP Z. Wheeler

SP J. Nelson

SP M. Fiers

SP T. Jungmann

SP W. Peralta

You do realize that lineup you listed has zero LH bats? Which is why Gennett's not going anywhere and Flores will land most likely at 3B. They'll add at least a couple low end flippable FA vets for the OF, guys like David Murphy and a guy that can play CF plus a 1B if they don't hang on to Lind. Lind is flippable next year so he may stay.

Archived