Brewer Fanatic

Gomez not traded/Flores cries/Alderson angry/Haudricourt confused/Melvin nonplussed/Gomez=Not Injured/Scott Boras MAD/Mets are lying liars

And That
  • Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Total speculation, but I wonder if DM is close to moving one or our pitchers, given the Wheeler deal.

I wouldn't think so, unless it's just to unload Lohse (can't see it happening) or Garza (pretty please?) since Wheeler is not going to be ready for almost a year.

Total speculation, but I wonder if DM is close to moving one or our pitchers, given the Wheeler deal.

I wouldn't think so, unless it's just to unload Lohse (can't see it happening) or Garza (pretty please?) since Wheeler is not going to be ready for almost a year.

Lohse will be released but fiers could easily be traded I think. Toronto reportedly wanted him.

This deal is not good at all. I can't believe there is even a debate. We got an injured pitcher and a guy who isn't going to play here. At least not for long. I'm puzzled by the deal and struggling to figure out what we got for an all star player who does everything. Just baffled.

I've become a huge Parra fan this year but a Khrush, Parra, Braun OF would be beyond bad defensively. 3 LF.

Davis actually covers a lot of ground in LF. Well more than average and Braun has decent range side to side though not so much going back or coming in on balls, so they aren't that bad off.

Zach Wheeler has tremendous upside. More upside than any Milwaukee pitcher could dream of. Easily their best pitcher.

Not to mention that if he performs up to where he was before he got injured, or even better, the Brewers can flip him before 2019 and get a few more pieces. Is he going to be ready to go in 2016?

I like getting Wheeler back. I'm so-so on Flores, only because we already have a glut of infielders. But you take the best players you can get.

We, as Brewers fans, always think this. But, in reality there is always an issue that comes up where we are not able to trade said soon to be free agent.

This deal is not good at all. I can't believe there is even a debate. We got an injured pitcher and a guy who isn't going to play here. At least not for long. I'm puzzled by the deal and struggling to figure out what we got for an all star player who does everything. Just baffled.

1. A young pitcher with 4 control years is very nice.

2. Flores has value.

3. Gomez is good, but he's going to be about a .750 hitter in Citi Field (or lower), not that it means a ton.

Good trade.

If Wheeler isn't ready to go until July 2016, does that give us an extra year of team control in 2020? Would be nice if so.

No, he was on the MLB roster when he was injured so he collects MLB service time while on the DL.

Wheeler was the 11th ranked prospect by BA overall to start 2013. Now, you can knock him down to say 25 or 30 based on the injury and already accumulated service time and Flores was a top 60ish prospect at one point.

Like I said before, I would've preferred a pitching prospect like Molina to Flores but it's not like Flores lacks talent. Everyone was saying we needed a top 20ish and top 50ish prospect for Gomez and that's basically what we got.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
CLIFlTbWsAAO1Oh.png:large
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

We got a potential front of the rotation starter. Yes he's hurt but plenty of guys come back from TJ and are just fine if not better.

Flores is a change of scenery guy. I think he might flourish in Milwaukee. Was a very nice prospect in the minors and is only 23.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 20s20 seconds ago

Asked official involved with Gomez trade why Flores is still in game. Reply: “No deal is done. The entire world has jumped the gun.”

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 32s33 seconds ago

Not sure how to interpret that. Club officials often say such things when deals are at the stage in which review of medicals is pending.

If Wheeler isn't ready to go until July 2016, does that give us an extra year of team control in 2020? Would be nice if so.

No, he was on the MLB roster when he was injured so he collects MLB service time while on the DL.

Wheeler was the 11th ranked prospect by BA overall to start 2013. Now, you can knock him down to say 25 or 30 based on the injury and already accumulated service time and Flores was a top 60ish prospect at one point.

Like I said before, I would've preferred a pitching prospect like Molina to Flores but it's not like Flores lacks talent. Everyone was saying we needed a top 20ish and top 50ish prospect for Gomez and that's basically what we got.

Could not have said that better. Wheeler without the TJ surgery would not have gotten Gomez straight up.

Assuming the return is Wheeler and Flores, and not some hot shot 19 year old in A ball, that indicates to me they aren't tossing in the towel for 2016 even given that Wheeler may not be back until June. But they have a lot of work to do to fortify the middle of their lineup, assuming Parra and perhaps Lind are elsewhere. Would they use the money saved on Gomez to extend Parra? Keeping Lind?

I was thinking the same thing. This isn't really a trade to build for the future. This is a trade for 2016 and 2017.

I really dislike this deal. We can HOPE that Wheeler reverts back to form after recovering from his injury but for this to be the centerpiece of a deal for someone who I believe was our best player (and who is not a FA going into next season) is not the return that I was hoping for. At all.

Archived