Brewer Fanatic

Gomez not traded/Flores cries/Alderson angry/Haudricourt confused/Melvin nonplussed/Gomez=Not Injured/Scott Boras MAD/Mets are lying liars

And That
  • Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Zach Wheeler has tremendous upside. More upside than any Milwaukee pitcher could dream of. Easily their best pitcher.

Not to mention that if he performs up to where he was before he got injured, or even better, the Brewers can flip him before 2019 and get a few more pieces. Is he going to be ready to go in 2016?

I like getting Wheeler back. I'm so-so on Flores, only because we already have a glut of infielders. But you take the best players you can get.

I will miss Carlos Gomez as much as any former Brewer. He brought me great entertainment in good times and bad.

Yup. The heart and soul of the team. I'll miss him.

Carlos was worth the price of admission no doubt. Not always good, but always exciting.

I'm okay with this deal. Wheeler wouldn't be available if he didn't have TJ surgery. I would've preferred a pitching prospect to Flores but he's only 23 and could be an option long term at 3B.

More importantly, this signals that they appear to be willing to take a step back to take two steps forward.

I'm very underwhelmed with the return. A mid rotation pitcher coming back from TJ and a 2B who can't hit. This seems like the type of return for a rental.
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I really like this deal. There I said it.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
From what I read Wheeler is not going to be ready to go until June or July 2016 so another year yet....great.

So what?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Flores is only 23, so he's still on the rise. Citi field can deflate hitters numbers, but my concern is (yet) another guy with poor plate discipline; his OBP isn't much higher than his BA. I hope there is another lower-level nugget thrown in the deal. Between he and Perez, they have 3B covered for a long time, with the other spelling Scooter against LHP.

It seems that the way the Brewers have been drafting and acquiring players is that they value infield defense and go for hitting from the outfielders. Lots of high draft picks in the OF, lots of converted shortstops in the infield.

I'm thinking they try moving one of the infield glut to the CF to fill that hole. Segura perhaps?

I want Segura off of SS and off the team period. He is not good anywhere on the diamond.

Don't shoot the messenger. Just speculating what they might do, not advocating it.

Archived