Brewer Fanatic

Gomez not traded/Flores cries/Alderson angry/Haudricourt confused/Melvin nonplussed/Gomez=Not Injured/Scott Boras MAD/Mets are lying liars

And That

Flores is just a younger and less lazy version of Yuni B at this point. I openly admit to bias, I never liked him as a prospect as he's basically a bat only player. He'll catch what he can get to... but he doesn't get to much. I guess the best way I can put it is that he's not athletic enough for me and is not the type of player I would ever look to acquire in a trade.

He doesn't really compare favorably to Gomez in any way other than he's an intriguing bat that hasn't put it together.

For argument's sake if his career path is similar to Gomez he'll get outplayed by other 2 position players and then finally break out as he enters his peak at which point he won't have many years of team control remaining. I don't mind waiting 2 full seasons for a young player to break out in MLB, but 5 is pushing it and is much more the exception than the rule.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator

Have enjoyed trying to keep up with this thread, certainly a divisive topic on this board. While it may just end up becoming merely a footnote in team history, it seems to at least have the potential of either turning out to be a huge break for the Brewers or proving to be a signifcant missed opportunity for the team. I would tend to lean towards predicting the latter, but remain hopeful that another good package is out their in return for Gomez.

If the team does hold onto Gomez at the deadline or especially into next season I will be disappointed. I think Gomez is beginning his career decline phase and the extra win or two value he might provide the Brewers has marginal impact on a team that will likely be competeing for 4th place in the NL Central again next season.

Would like to see the team turn Gomez into 1-2 young impact players by tomorrow's 3:00pm deadline. Hopefully this deal falling through turns out to be remembered as a silverlining in Brewers history, or at the very least barely remembered at all.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

If that was the best deal, then I'll take the year and a half and the draft pick.

That was a really bad deal for Milwaukee.

A year a half of Gomez leading us to under .500 ball and a hit or miss pick is better than a pitcher that would automatically be or best pitcher and a hitter who is 23 and was a top 80 prospect most of his time in the minors. That makes no sense. The draft pick wod be lucky to turn into flores.

When you trade your number one available asset and your major league roster wasn't improved in 2016 and your top 10 prospect list hasn't changed, you didn't make a good trade.

I would much rather have 2 guys who we know can play in the majors now, then a 2017 comp pick who may never make the majors.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

If that was the best deal, then I'll take the year and a half and the draft pick.

A year a half of Gomez leading us to under .500 ball and a hit or miss pick is better than a pitcher that would automatically be or best pitcher and a hitter who is 23 and was a top 80 prospect most of his time in the minors. That makes no sense. The draft pick wod be lucky to turn into flores.

When you trade your number one available asset and your major league roster wasn't improved in 2016 and your top 10 prospect list hasn't changed, you didn't make a good trade.

Flores doesn't improve the 2016 team? Nonsense.

My guess is you'll be underwhelmed by what they do end up with.

At least this site is finally poppin again!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I would much rather have 2 guys who we know can play in the majors now, then a 2017 comp pick who may never make the majors.

AMEN

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Tried to catch up on this thread and sorry if someone already posted this Haurdricourt article:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/brewers-trade-carlos-gomez-to-mets-b99547452z1-319704111.html

Haurdricourt is reiterating what others are reporting that it was a medical issue with Gomez that nixed the trade. A couple of interesting tidbits from the article:

-HIPAA laws prevented Brewers general manager Doug Melvin from commenting on anyone's physical issues.

Seriously? I guess we should never know the reason guys are on the DL then.

-Melvin: "We're happy to still have Carlos, and he'll continue playing for our club."

Either that's Melvin's poker face or he realizes that now Gomez will be almost impossible to trade.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Gomez will be traded once Boras does his thing. We won't ride him to FA. There will be no shortage of offers for 640 guys who have no position and injured pitchers, I assure you.

In NBA terms this would have been what happens had Herb Kohl and the idiot that run the Sixers had a baby.

I realize he is a FA after this year, but if I'm another team solely focused on making a trade to get me to the playoffs this year, I'd rather have Parra than Gomez.

Just for clarification's sake, are these the only two criteria to determine if a trade is good or not this year? I just want to be sure so that when you tell us how much you hate the next trade, I'm not missing something else and we are aware of your personal criteria.

Flores doesn't improve the 2016 team? Nonsense.

My guess is you'll be underwhelmed by what they do end up with.

So most people on here basically say Segura is 'replacement level' and really not good. Yet Flores improves the team? Only thing it helps is to be a 'replacement level' player at 3B through the next couple crap years instead of whatever else we have. Really could get about the same from Sardinas and not have to give up our best asset.

If there is concern on Gomez's hip and not great play this year. Hold him, let him get healthy and/or play well the last couple months and trade him in the offseason. Need to get more back than a TJ pitcher and a middling IF, which we already have a few. If he was a FA this year then yea take what you can get but there is no rush right now.

Community Moderator
See reports the Cardinals traded LHP Rob Kaminsky to the the Indians for Brandon Moss. There have been a lot of promising arms traded this deadline, unfortunately none of them to the Brewers yet.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

I have mixed emotions. Not sure if anyone else going to offer a pitcher of Wheeler's pedigree in a deal for Gomez. Mets' pitching depth, need for a bat and the fact that Wheeler is rehabbing was the perfect storm. My problem with the deal was Flores. I would have preferred an OF prospect plus another arm.

at least Melvin recognizes HIPPA and doesnt say anything beyond that... Sandy is such a clown, yet another player whose PRIVATE medical information is of no concern.

If players haven't signed off on the rights to their HIPAA, then teams could never disclose that a player went on the Disabled List or what his injury was. Because that right there would violate HIPAA.

So I assume the players have all signed off on their rights for the teams to disclose their health and it really isn't "private" information anymore.

Edit- I see Patrick had already mentioned this.

What a mess. Hated to see the Moss deal, likely blocking Lind there.

Maybe Kaminsky is flip candidate as part of a deal for Gomez? Just a quick thought.

It's interesting seeing Nightengale being so defiant it was Wheeler, not Gomez that killed the deal.

Well, this makes the next two days really interesting. Get the champagne or pitchforks ready guys.

I was very mixed on this trade to begin with. Part of me is glad it fell through given we were traded for a starting pitcher fresh off TJ surgery and a below average infielder. That being said, for a year and a half of Gomez, there was part of me who wanted to take the chance on Wheeler given we need pitching badly even if he'd only pitch at most two months next season.

It's getting to the point, outside of maybe moving Parra, I'd be fine sitting with the roster as is going into the off-season. If Melvin is truly getting canned or moved up and out of the front office, I'd rather let a fresh set of eyes look at the current roster and make the bigger splash trades after September.

Just for clarification's sake, are these the only two criteria to determine if a trade is good or not this year? I just want to be sure so that when you tell us how much you hate the next trade, I'm not missing something else and we are aware of your personal criteria.

http://i.imgur.com/1Dnsw.gif

I was very mixed on this trade to begin with. Part of me is glad it fell through given we were traded for a starting pitcher fresh off TJ surgery and a below average infielder. That being said, for a year and a half of Gomez, there was part of me who wanted to take the chance on Wheeler given we need pitching badly even if he'd only pitch at most two months next season.

It's getting to the point, outside of maybe moving Parra, I'd be fine sitting with the roster as is going into the off-season. If Melvin is truly getting canned or moved up and out of the front office, I'd rather let a fresh set of eyes look at the current roster and make the bigger splash trades after September.

I'm thinking a bit that way as well...

The Brewers still could get a top ten pick this year, and that and the CB pick will help.

If the Brewers could swing a deal to get Parra to Pittsburgh for that competitive balance pick and a prospect or two...

This is setting up to be one heck of a bad trade deadline for the brewers. For a team that basically was the first organization out of the playoff hunt with tradeable assets this season, to see only the ramirez trade thus far with all the other activity going on around them is very disheartening. Still time to change the outlook, but I think the list of potential suitors for what the brewers have to offer is shrinking rapidly.

So, I guess the only question now is do we have an injured player in Gomez?

He is OPSing 784 in July and isnt missing games? As an aside, I noticed he has 14 walks in 91 PAs. Not to go there, but I will, Flores has 13 walks in 361 PAs.

Unless he has a degenerative injury, it would seem the best action would be to shut him down, pile up the good medical reports and put him back on the market?

I fully expect something to go down by the deadline; don't know who but something will happen. You don't almost trade Gomez and end up sitting on your butt.

Kind of surreal how everything played out last night. It seems odd that the Brewers backed out over medicals; I mean what would you expect? I did have TJ. As for Gomez I think if that really was the deciding factor for the Mets to back out than it was probably a cop out as a way to get out of a deal that Alderson 2nd guessed himself on. Or Wilpon told him to get out of it. Who the heck knows. Wouldn't be surprised if there is a burned bridge between the two teams now.

Archived