Brewer Fanatic

Gomez not traded/Flores cries/Alderson angry/Haudricourt confused/Melvin nonplussed/Gomez=Not Injured/Scott Boras MAD/Mets are lying liars

And That
I'm getting dizzy reading all the tweets from so many different angles. The quotes from both sides are compelling.

Maybe Gomez's hip really is an issue and that was the reason Doug jumped at such a poor return? We will know more about the hip if Gomez is traded by Friday.

According to Haudricourt's sources, Gomez's hip issues aren't bad enough to nix a trade. So the hip issue may not hinder the Brewers from trading him.

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gomez to Cleveland for Zimmer, Frazier, and Anderson?

Cleveland is 8 games under .500 and thus very unlikely to make the playoffs, so why would they be aggressive in going after Gomez now, even with him being under contract for next season?

Maybe Milw could acquire Bourn removing a massive Negative on that team and cash, for a better return in prospects? The Indians are just 6games out of the last wild card spot and with a Cy Young winner SP heading your rotation? Kluber, Carrasco, Baeur, and Salazar, adding a plus bat of Gomez and removing a junk bat of Bourn? A 10game win streak can happen for that team at any moment and are immediately within a game or tied for that wildcard spot.

Thats the problem with the 5th wild card spot. Even with Cleveland's record, 6 games back isn't something to say, we're out of it and have no chance when they have a Cy Young Pitcher plus 3 others that can be #2s all on their own....look at St Louis 19th in runs scored best record in baseball. Cleveland has scored 17runs less. It's one thing to look at Milw's staff and say even at 6games behind they are done. But Cleveland has a legit Ace who pitched a CG 1run winner today.

Walter Cronkite is rolling over in his grave tonight.
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Wheeler's medical information had seemed the most likely to scuttle a trade. After undergoing Tommy John surgery in March, he had just started to resume throwing this week.

But a source told ESPN.com Wheeler's medical information played no role in the deal disintegrating.

"A source".

ESPN's credibility sinks lower and lower.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Sports quiz 71803

An ESPN source is what?

A. Front office member trying to cover his backside

B. Bigger market bias

C. Homer fan who so happens to be the writer

D. head of ESPN trying to stir the pot

E. all of the above

F-A sports reporting network that has a wealth of insiders who consistently have very good and very reliable information.

But criticism is always easier...especially when there is a bandwagon.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Journalism today is hardly reporting. Just look at who ESPN hires. Most of the people focus on fantasy sports or played the sport professionally. They are made to be opinions, not reporters. That's what ESPN's been about more recently. It hasn't been reporting. It's been speculation and pipeline dream scenarios made to keep you coming back for more. That's what is always on their site, their shows, their magazines.

thank goodness the mets got cold feet. this was a bad trade. 1 injured high potential prospect is not nearly a good enough return for gomez. gomez and lucroy are the 2 biggest chips that this team has. the return the brewers get for those 2 guys has a major impact on the future of this franchise. if they screw up the trade, this team is in deep [expletive deleted by moderator]. i really hope melvin isn't focused on acquiring mediocre talent that can ''help'' now like wilmer flores. melvin needs to shoot for the stars on this. there's no need to trade gomez now anyways. if there's nothing good available wait until the offseason. i hope they are focusing more on trading parra. that's the deal that needs to happen and i'm a little concerned that the rumors regarding parra have been quiet. same thing with fiers.

the a's have done a great job trading away their vets. brewers need to pick up the pace.

I feel like, from what I'm reading (if anyone of it's true), Alderson got cold feet at the last minute and scuttled the trade under the pretense that Gomez had some scary hip injury. This feels like a pretty lame excuse as the only issue with Gomez this season seems to have been his hamstring, and there's been no talk about the hip thing being a major concern (I know he mentioned it a few weeks back, but it didn't sound like anything serious, and from what has come out, it also does not sound like it should have ruined the trade -- especially since the Crew were taking on a guy coming off TJ).

Then someone in the Brewers(?) organization leaks the trade, since it's pretty much going down. Alderson blasts the trade as not happening, and has someone (or himself) leak that the not at all proven theory that Carlos Gomez has a hip injury that is of some concern. Obviously, the Mets are out of the picture now.

So my question is: Does this hurt his trade value right now? Obviously, doctors from other teams will be able to look at the hip in question and see if it really is a concern, but does this effectively kill the trade for the time being? Does this lessen his value at all? Should the Crew wait until winter meetings to unload him, and hope he performs really well for the rest of the year, and is healthy? I know the rumors say Cleveland is interested, but now I'm a little concerned at his value since they pretty much know what kind of players can get him.

I hope that made sense. I haven't slept and have to work in a couple hours. Weee!

When you are in July 2015 and you hear Wheeler will be ready by July 2016, that almost always translates to spring 2017.

[sarcasm]Yes, because most TJ surgeries take two years to recover from.[/sarcasm]

Wheeler's medical information had seemed the most likely to scuttle a trade. After undergoing Tommy John surgery in March, he had just started to resume throwing this week.

But a source told ESPN.com Wheeler's medical information played no role in the deal disintegrating.

"A source".

ESPN's credibility sinks lower and lower.

[sarcasm]Right, because ESPN is the only network/outlet that uses sources and doesn't reveal them.[/sarcasm]

Boras has his minions prepping a 73-page document that explains why:

-Gomez's hips are not only healthy, but function better than 98.3% of other MLB ballplayers

-his hip quality suggests teams would be getting a bargain by acquiring him, as they alone are worth $8 million per year

-the Mets are idiots

"Carlos Gomez's hips combine the attributes of the hip bones of Lou Gehrig, Joe DiMaggio, Rickey Henderson, and Ken Griffey Jr."

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Sadly I don't think Gomez will be traded now. This has created quite the concern with little time left. A team sees anything g with his hip and they might run for the hill.

To everyone happy this deal didn't happen you shouldn't be so thrilled. It was the best deal out there and I doubt his value is higher this off season. I expect his so so season to continue and make it a bigger concern. I would be quite shocked if we get a package better than this.

If that was the best deal, then I'll take the year and a half and the draft pick.

That was a really bad deal for Milwaukee.

A year a half of Gomez leading us to under .500 ball and a hit or miss pick is better than a pitcher that would automatically be or best pitcher and a hitter who is 23 and was a top 80 prospect most of his time in the minors. That makes no sense. The draft pick wod be lucky to turn into flores.

I similar situation occurred in 1996. Brewers' GM traded lefty reliever Graeme Lloyd to the Yankees for Bob Wickman (and others). The Yankees then had cold feet, tried to get out of the deal, and in doing so accused Bando of sending damaged goods. Everyone came to Bando's defense (regarding his integrity, not his competence). Lloyd then had an incredible postseason and was a key piece in the first Yankee world championship on that era.

If that was the best deal, then I'll take the year and a half and the draft pick.

A year a half of Gomez leading us to under .500 ball and a hit or miss pick is better than a pitcher that would automatically be or best pitcher and a hitter who is 23 and was a top 80 prospect most of his time in the minors. That makes no sense. The draft pick wod be lucky to turn into flores.

Agreed. There has to be acknowledgement that a top 35 pick doesn't automatically equal 'top prospect' or 'Major Leaguer.' A guy like Flores has already HAD success in the minors, he's just waiting to have it translate over into MLB success after being brought up too early (much like Carlos Gomez early in his career).

When you trade your number one available asset and your major league roster wasn't improved in 2016 and your top 10 prospect list hasn't changed, you didn't make a good trade.

at least Melvin recognizes HIPPA and doesnt say anything beyond that... Sandy is such a clown, yet another player whose PRIVATE medical information is of no concern.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

This is what I get for going to bed early.

Given that I'm on the 'complete reboot' team I'm still hoping they can find something decent for Gomez. Gomez has been one of the more fun players to watch in recent memory, but I just don't see them competing next season regardless of his presence.

Archived