Brewer Fanatic

Gomez not traded/Flores cries/Alderson angry/Haudricourt confused/Melvin nonplussed/Gomez=Not Injured/Scott Boras MAD/Mets are lying liars

And That
  • Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When you are in July 2015 and you hear Wheeler will be ready by July 2016, that almost always translates to spring 2017. We are not Drs but we have all seen it before. And the service clock keeps ticking.

That's not a guy you take as a key piece for Gomez

But if it was GOMEZ' medicals and not Wheeler's that killed the trade, you end up getting absolutely nothing for Gomez for the foreseeable future.

Yeah... but on the flip side, a shorter-term extension might be possible because Gomez will want to show he is healthy.

It was Wheeler who just had more-involved TJ surgery.... So Gomez's hip negates the deal? Sorry, I'm not convinced of the integrity of the reports and I'm not buying it.

One guy says it's Gomez's hip when it's so obvious where the greater issue is, but via social media that becomes gospel? Just like the trade...

Come on, folks, are we really this eager for a trade that we'll believe absolutely everything that's said on social media? We'll dissect and debate stats 'til the cows come home but critical thinking goes out the window and we become total sheep b/c one reporter Tweets something surprising which not only isn't true but also cannot legally be shared due to HIPAA laws (which thankfully Doug Melvin has enough intelligence & integrity to adhere to)... Really?

Melvin's the one who's coming across level-headed about this. Alderson's quite upset. What does that tell us?

Who is more likely to have a major medical issue? The guy who played today or the guy who had TJ surgery in March 2015 and isn't expected back optimistically until July 2016?

The jilted bride act isn't very becoming, Sandy.

Community Moderator
I realize it is a moot point now, but this bothered me as I tried to play catchup on the thread. For the people referring to Flores as "garbage", please take a closer look at Carlos Gomez's early years. Flores is 23 years old, being forced to play out of position at an age where he is still developing and in an unforgiving market with the magnified pressure of high expectations. He has more MLB home runs in his first 200 games than Carlos Gomez did in his first four seasons (445 games). He is putting up slugging and OPS+ numbers that Gomez did not surpass until age 26. I can't predict the future, but I am willing to bet Flores' prime is still ahead of him at this point. To be clear, I am not predicting a Gomez type breakout, but I don't think anyone has enough information to just completely write him off at this point either.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Tom ‏@Haudricourt · 1m1 minute ago

Got this message from #Brewers GM Doug Melvin: "There is no trade happening. Trades are not completed until they are announced."

Thanks for the in depth reporting Tom. Really going out of your way to get the scoop.

Tom isn't one of the worst in the business for nothing. Dynamite stuff.

Who is more likely to have a major medical issue? The guy who played today or the guy who had TJ surgery in March 2015 and isn't expected back optimistically until July 2016?

There is a slew of these posts in a row, I'll just quote yours.

One team doesn't care about the short term of the return.

The other team does, and has offers probably of several similar (presumably more healthy) players instead of Gomez.

Not saying that Gomez is officially the deal-breaking medical player, but the Brewers were openly admitting that they don't care about the TJ (assuming everything checks out) by a agreeing verbally to the trade.

So we are to believe the Mets backed out of a trade due to injury when the main piece they were trading is a year out and coming off major TJ surgery? Oh that's rich.

They are just mad because they just lost Gomez AND their number one trade asset that wouldnt affect them in 2016.

Nice try Mets.

It was Wheeler who just had more-involved TJ surgery.... So Gomez' hip negates the deal? Sorry, I'm not convinced of the integrity of the reports and I'm not buying it.

One guy says it's Gomez's hip when it's so obvious where the greater issue is, but via social media that becomes gospel? Just like the trade...

I have to agree... either the Mets are playing "sour grapes" vis-a-via Gomez, or something else is up.

Adam McCalvy ‏@AdamMcCalvy · 43s44 seconds ago

Doug Melvin said he couldn't confirm that it's Gomez's hip. Said there was "small level of discomfort" from one of the teams that nixed deal

Well, this differs from the Mets' version which was that there wasn't a deal at all.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

There is a slew of these posts in a row, I'll just quote yours.

One team doesn't care about the short term of the return.

The other team does, and has offers probably of several similar (presumably more healthy) players instead of Gomez.

Not saying that Gomez is officially the deal-breaking medical player, but the Brewers were openly admitting that they don't care about the TJ (assuming everything checks out) by a agreeing verbally to the trade.

I guess anything is possible. Seems that anyone who has ever seen Gomez play knows he is a walking bruise and always will be. Are they suggesting a degenerative issue?

I'm not buying it. Sounds like the Mets try to save face. That deal wasn't just leaked, it was out there everywhere.

I still think it was probably Wheeler, but if the Mets were really that concerned, maybe they decided to go get the other CarGo, Upton, or Bruce.

Would be hilarious if they go get CarGo, give up more, and then CarGo goes on the DL within the first two weeks.

I would have loved Wheeler but why Wilmer Flores? He's slow and doesn't have a defensive home, was he supposed to be the be 3B of the future? I really don't get the obsession with MLB ready talent this organization seems to have. Why does every big trade have to include a sub-par SS coming back?

I would have rather taken back any of their top prospects other than Gabriel Ynoa.

I guess it doesn't matter now that there is no deal but I was pretty pissed about Flores being in the trade when I was watching the Rattlers this evening, it wasn't logical outside of filling the 3B hole, but he stinks and I never liked him as prospect so I admit to bias.

When I read Wheeler and I nearly jumped out of my seat and then when I got to Flores I wanted to throw my phone... but this deal would have fit a Melvin trade to a T.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I still think it was probably Wheeler, but if the Mets were really that concerned, maybe they decided to go get the other CarGo, Upton, or Bruce.

Would be hilarious if they go get CarGo, give up more, and then CarGo goes on the DL within the first two weeks.

Entirely possible. Also, this is still an upgrade, but all 4 of the discussed players will probably be .750 or less OPS guys at Citi Field. That's fine, because they are still good hitters with the park factor, but the New York media will tear them apart for being a "bust."

Archived