Brewer Fanatic

Gomez not traded/Flores cries/Alderson angry/Haudricourt confused/Melvin nonplussed/Gomez=Not Injured/Scott Boras MAD/Mets are lying liars

And That
  • Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cardinals just lost Holliday so they could use him even more. Would love to get Alex Reyes OR Piscotty (if the Brewers think he can play 3B) and some of the Cardinals second-tier pitching prospects.

A trade like like within the division would be extremely unlikely...nearly impossible.

I'd be fine with trading Gomez to the Cardinals if an offer was good. Gonna be awhile before the Brewers are as good as the Cardinals.

Did they give Wheeler a physical in the two hours between when the trade was leaked and then nullified? I'm just curious how this all goes down? Do the mets ask a player to take a physical when they think they might trade him? I'd like to know all this stuff. That would be more interesting than the trade itself.

It's possible we've had his medical records for a day or two and wanted our doctors to look them over. I'd imagine the MRI's and such with TJ surgery are pretty easy to read for a trained professional.

MLB network about to address the situation.

So we have medicals for 2 days and they don't have Drs. look at them, until the deal is leaked and then at 9PM they have the drs look at them and 2 hours later no deal.

I know that's not the timeline, but just seems really weird that at 9pm you have a deal, and at 11pm you don't. Those aren't dr's hours, unless there are ER drs.

It would seem to me that if I'm casually talking about trading for a guy in the middle of TJ recovery, the first thing I'm asking for is the medicals, and I'm having my drs. looking at them right away before we get anywhere near the point where a deal would be leaked. But that's just me.

The awkwardness of this whole thing will get a cherry on top if Gomez plays tomorrow...I think he will be traded before then, but wow would it be weird if he does play. Though it would be nice to say goodbye at home.

Tom ‏@Haudricourt · 50s51 seconds ago

Just heard from #Brewers GM Doug Melvin. Gomez trade was in place. Medicals did nix it. Couldn't give details. Story coming.

Makes complete sense. Wheeler is VERY damaged goods and you can't make a guy like that a centerpiece.

But how did such a deal get leaked so badly?

Tom ‏@Haudricourt · 2m2 minutes ago

Hipaa laws prevent Melvin from saying what nixed trade but it obviously was a concern over Wheeler's Tommy John recovery.

Melvin said both sides were convinced it was a good deal but it was contingent on medicals. Then news got out and went with it.

Tom ‏@Haudricourt · 33s33 seconds ago

One last item though. Melvin said when word got out on Twitter about trade, Gomez was told it was set to go if medicals passed. But didn't.

Did they give Wheeler a physical in the two hours between when the trade was leaked and then nullified? I'm just curious how this all goes down? Do the mets ask a player to take a physical when they think they might trade him? I'd like to know all this stuff. That would be more interesting than the trade itself.

It's possible we've had his medical records for a day or two and wanted our doctors to look them over. I'd imagine the MRI's and such with TJ surgery are pretty easy to read for a trained professional.

MLB network about to address the situation.

So we have medicals for 2 days and they don't have Drs. look at them, until the deal is leaked and then at 9PM they have the drs look at them and 2 hours later no deal.

I know that's not the timeline, but just seems really weird that at 9pm you have a deal, and at 11pm you don't. Those aren't dr's hours, unless there are ER drs.

It would seem to me that if I'm casually talking about trading for a guy in the middle of TJ recovery, the first thing I'm asking for is the medicals, and I'm having my drs. looking at them right away before we get anywhere near the point where a deal would be leaked. But that's just me.

We'll never really know (it would be illegal for them to tell us whats on the records). Maybe they were going through a risk/reward scenario. Maybe they were waiting on a second opinion. Who knows. But I do agree, the whole thing is pretty strange.

Just heard from #Brewers GM Doug Melvin. Gomez trade was in place. Medicals did nix it. Couldn't give details. Story coming.

Makes complete sense. Wheeler is VERY damaged goods and you can't make a guy like that a centerpiece.

But how did such a deal get leaked so badly?

It was like any other deal. Some rumors before and once everything is set(besides medicals) the media runs with it like it is a done deal. In most cases medicals are fine, but here it wasn't.

Community Moderator
The awkwardness of this whole thing will get a cherry on top if Gomez plays tomorrow...I think he will be traded before then, but wow would it be weird if he does play. Though it would be nice to say goodbye at home.

If he plays he will get an incredible standing ovation when introduced and at each at-bat [sarcasm]which will probably be just the justification needed to offer Gomez a contract extension.[/sarcasm]

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Well this is an interesting twist (though I'm not sure I buy it):

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal · 1m1 minute ago

Sources: #Mets backed out of trade due to concern over hip issue with #Brewers’ Gomez.

He has about 5 other tweets about it.

Well, doesn't get more clear than that.

Expecting a VERY interesting Thursday.

When you are in July 2015 and you hear Wheeler will be ready by July 2016, that almost always translates to spring 2017. We are not Drs but we have all seen it before. And the service clock keeps ticking.

That's not a guy you take as a key piece for Gomez

This looks like the Mets trying to save face.... or NY reporters trying to make it look like the other team's guy is the one who's damaged goods.... NY reporters were premature and therefore incorrect if nothing else the first time 'round!

Sources: #Mets backed out of trade due to concern over hip issue with #Brewers’ Gomez.

That's Sandy giving Doug the middle finger for exposing his key trading chip.

When you are in July 2015 and you hear Wheeler will be ready by July 2016, that almost always translates to spring 2017. We are not Drs but we have all seen it before. And the service clock keeps ticking.

But if it was GOMEZ' medicals and not Wheeler's that killed the trade, you end up getting absolutely nothing for Gomez for the foreseeable future.

I sure hope this is wrong or the trade value for Gomez could plummet.

But if it was GOMEZ' medicals and not Wheeler's that killed the trade, you end up getting absolutely nothing for Gomez for the foreseeable future.

That's sour grapes by the Mets.

Gomez hasn't looked quite the same, so perhaps some hip fraying would lead to weaker power at the plate and fewer steals. It'd likely something for off-season surgery that can be managed during the season.

If Gomez really has a hip issue, the Brewers would be smart to get it looked at it and shut him down to they can trade him in the off-season. Though, I'm still not buying it. He seems perfectly fine. Boras is adamant that he's perfectly fine. Something has to give here.

Guess we will see if/when the Brewers actually trade him. If in fact there is an actual problem, the Brewers could be in a very difficult spot with Gomez.

Archived