Brewer Fanatic

Gomez not traded/Flores cries/Alderson angry/Haudricourt confused/Melvin nonplussed/Gomez=Not Injured/Scott Boras MAD/Mets are lying liars

And That
  • Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is it possible Doug got a better offer before everything was official and then made up an excuse to call it off?

I would find it difficult to imagine there isn't a better offer out there.

Is Doug so cold blooded as to call off a hand shake deal when he saw a better text message after he agreed but didn't file the paperwork?

If the deal was agreed upon it would be horribly not right to back out if a better offer suddenly comes in. If that was the case and the Mets found out the Brewers would probably get in a lot of trouble. You can't just use his elbow as an excuse to back out to grab a better deal.

I don't think that is the case. The physicals were truly the problem if you ask me.

Verified Member
If the deal was agreed upon it would be horribly not right to back out if a better offer suddenly comes in. If that was the case and the Mets found out the Brewers would probably get in a lot of trouble. You can't just use his elbow as an excuse to back out to grab a better deal.

I don't think that is the case. The physicals were truly the problem if you ask me.

At best it was pending physicals, the deal was not official and the Brewers did not tell the media to leak it early. I think they are fully within their rights to pull the deal back if another team heard about the deal and gave a better offer.

(I doubt that's what happened, but I don't have any problem with it if it did)

At best it was pending physicals, the deal was not official and the Brewers did not tell the media to leak it early. I think they are fully within their rights to pull the deal back if another team heard about the deal and gave a better offer.

(I doubt that's what happened, but I don't have any problem with it if it did)

Thing is, all 30 GM's would back out of an agreed upon trade if a better one came along. But 29 other GM's would all complain about the 1 guy that does it.

Posted by a Toronto Maple Leafs fan (@DownGoesBrown) on the ESPN NHL page’s right-hand column that features people’s Tweets:

"I like this new feature where every MLB trade deadline includes one fake trade that we have to figure out like it's an episode of Astro Boy."

Bob NightengaleVerified account

‏@BNightengale The #Brewers rejected the #Mets trade because of concerns over Wheeler"s physical and still plan to trade Gomez by Friday.

Nightengale is the lead USA sports reporter I believe.

Bob NightengaleVerified account

‏@BNightengale The #Brewers rejected the #Mets trade because of concerns over Wheeler"s physical and still plan to trade Gomez by Friday.

Nightengale is the lead USA sports reporter I believe.

He's been there forever.

Verified Member

Understandable, since if Wheeler has issues (or even just misses another 6 months to a year), then it really tanks the value of the trade.

Hoping this episode doesn't undercut Melvin's bargaining position.

A composite poster earlier today: 'OMG, what are you doing DOUG... no trades! We've overplayed our hand! We need to trade Gomez, Lind, Lucroy, everybody! Don't say there are no offers! Get what you can and get pitching!'

Same poster at 8:00: 'OMG DOUG... how could you trade Gomez and not get more back?? I hate this deal.... we need more than 2 top 50 prospects for Gomez!!! He's under control for 1.5 more years- WHY TRADE HIM NOW?????'

Same poster at 10:30: 'OMG, how could this deal fall through??? I'm realizing that my irrational hatred of this deal was completely misplaced! MAKE IT HAPPEN DOUG!'

:(

Ha, guess we're all on the same page there :) 3 identical posts within a minute. That's stellar.

If he's accurate, it'll be REALLY interesting to compare the trades both on Friday and for the next few years. I'd have to think this hurts us, as other teams know what trade we took and nobody is going to drastically top that offer IMO.

Is Doug so cold blooded as to call off a hand shake deal when he saw a better text message after he agreed but didn't file the paperwork?

The Marcia Brady defense: "Something suddenly came up."

I wasn't expecting this level of drama. I'm glad I'm off work this week so I can watch it unfold.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Seriously, I was fine with the earlier reported deal, and I think there are a lot of folks who were panicking about the direction of the franchise who should be realizing that the deal that wasn't is a clear indicator of a 'rebuild', despite what one dude from BP was reporting today.

I'm confident something will come together soon on Gomez and our remaining pieces, and if they were truly concerned with Wheeler's medicals, it will likely be a better trade for Milwaukee in the end.

Archived