Brewer Fanatic

MLB Draft on TV

Has anybody else heard about this? And has this been posted?

Quote:
For the first time, the June draft is scheduled to be televised, with either ESPN or TBS likely as the host, said a person who was part of meetings on the matter. The plan is to televise the first and second rounds, and the sandwich round in between.

www.nypost.com/seven/1206...htm?page=0

(edit: removed question mark from thread title: --1992casey)

Yeah, it likely won't appeal to anyone other than the real hardcore fans, unless they change it for TV and give a few minutes between picks to analyze and show some highlights. Otherwise, the rapid pace will really make for a disjointed broadcast I would guess.

With 50 rounds in 2 days to get through, MLB is not going to drag it out like the NFL does. But I could see 3 or 4 people going through the lists, analyzing picks and the like. A studio of Mayo, Sickels, Callis would be good. Unfortunately, they'll probably put in a name guy or 2 who does baseball but likely doesn't know the draft talent like the others do, but has the connections to find out who teams are going to take.

It's about time, thanks for sharing that trwi7. I think the first two rounds is a good idea, as MLB's scouting bureau has enough video footage and information on these players to make it interesting. If ESPN has it, you know Peter Gammons will probably be involved somehow, and I would guess they would bring Jim Callis on as well since ESPN is a partner of BA.

I'm guessing the teams probably aren't that happy about it, as I'm guessing they will change the format somewhat in the first couple of rounds, probably to slow it down a little.

I watched it the last 2 years on MLB.com. It's OK. The announcers have a little time to talk about each guy, and then on to the next one. It's refreshing, actually, that they don't thrash each pick to death. I sure hope they don't draw it out to pay for TV time.

• 4 months later...
Bud wouldn't announce the picks...each team has a person call out the number/name via phone for the pick...Tommy Lasorda use to do it for the Dodgers and every time he said a town...had a little story about it and what food was good to eat there!

• 4 weeks later...

I watched the first two picks of the draft, but wasn't able to watch much more than that. I DVR'd it, although I don't know how much I'm going to watch (definitely the Brewers selection to see what they say about LaPorta), but I'm curious to find out what other people think about having the draft on TV and how good of a job they did with the overall production.

Was it a success, keeping in mind that it was the first time it ever happened, was it boring, slow, etc.?

How was the commentary of David Rawnsley vs. that of Jim Callis?

there was way too much steve phillips, carl ravech, and peter gammons...

they spent the entire 5 minutes between each pick yacking, instead of just picking...the whole thing felt very scripted to me..david price had on a TB jersey before he was picked...

it would make for better tv if they canned their attempt to turn it into the nfl draft....it's never going to be like that...

Watched it on TiVo so had some idea about what had already occured when I sat down and watched it. However despite that, I enjoyed Gammons and to my surprise Phillips analysis, but overall thought the whole thing looked kind second rate.

I mean it looked like the proceedings were taking place in an airplane hanger or warehouse.

Next have it in a ballroom that has a little more class.

I mean when you do these things you are representing the entire sport and your league. Does MLB have to do everything on the cheap.

Radio City Music Hall might have cost them a few thousand more thatn that crummy hall in Orlando but it would have come off so much better on television.

One of the reason kids prefer football and the NBA is because those sports know how to promote themselves and this is the perfect example of it.

If you want to make the fan base younger you have to stop talking down to them, you have to excite them and you have to wear your best suit when in public.

Archived