Brewer Fanatic

Open for business (part 3)

Verified Member
@jcrasnick: The #Mets indeed want Carlos Gomez. Heard #Brewers are asking for a "top 4 starter" in return. You know who they are.

Quite generous to include Wheeler in the same tier as Harvey/deGrom/Matz. This trade is going to be bad... Wheeler is such a disappointing return for Gomez.

I disagree with that. Wheeler has ace upside. You're asking for the moon. If they want to part with Harvey/deGrom/Matz/Syndergaard great, but Wheeler is no slouch either. IMO

Pitcher A: 335.2 IP, 3.67 ERA, 3.62 FIP, 3.62 xFIP, 9.2 K/9, 2.8 BB/9, free agent after 2019

Player B: 285.1 IP, 3.50 ERA, 3.77 FIP, 3.74 xFIP, 8.6 K/9, 3.9 BB/9, free agent after 2019

One is older, but the other is still rehabbing from Tommy John surgery. Not clear to me which I'd rather have.

(A is Fiers, B is Wheeler)

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
@Joelsherman1: Heard #Indians also were very interested in Carlos Gomez. So stay tuned. #Mets #Brewers

From my friend I talked to who works for the Orioles said they were interested in Gomez but the Brewers wanted Gausman plus more in return.

The Indians are interesting but I am not all that familiar with their minor league system and what they could offer for Gomez.

If you think about, the current team could compete if they just had an ace pitcher like a Bumgardner in place of Lohse.

If you take away just Sept and April (still including some rough stuff around) they're 112-103, 14-34 in those two months. I'd really like to know what happened there behind the scenes with Roenicke to lead to such apathy.

Oh, so all we need to do is get rid of our old, crap free agent signing pitcher and develop a top 10 pick into an ace?

And if we take away our two awful months we're an 84 win team? [sarcasm]Yay![/sarcasm]

Take that away and a true ace and you're basically the same as the Giants and win around 90. I wasnt bringing it up to try and claim the route is right, just about how close things are in baseball and that it really has come down to not developing pitching. The lineup has been adequate this whole time and so has the pen really outside of the first half of 2012. And I bring up those two months because it's so fluky, I mean [expletive deleted by moderator] happened. Also bring it up because people on here wouldn't be acting like this FO is the worst ever if they'd made the playoffs last year and were in wc contention now, just pointing out the gap isn't that big.

Also take a look at a boxscore from the WS of the Giants over the years, you'll be surprised how blah it is. Starting pitching development is the difference. The only route they had after failed development of their own pitching was these old vet signings and trades.

@Joelsherman1: Heard #Indians also were very interested in Carlos Gomez. So stay tuned. #Mets #Brewers

From my friend I talked to who works for the Orioles said they were interested in Gomez but the Brewers wanted Gausman plus more in return.

The Indians are interesting but I am not all that familiar with their minor league system and what they could offer for Gomez.

They have a Carlos Gomez like lefty outfielder as their top prospect. Not much pitching wise

I have to admit, the Indians wanting in on Gomez is a bit surprising to me. I say that and completely accept that I don't know their team very well or their minor leagues. Are they in the race this year? I thought they were out of the race.

Verified Member

They have a Carlos Gomez like lefty outfielder as their top prospect. Not much pitching wise

Brady Aiken is no slouch. But Melvin might want a more immediate contributor.

I have to admit, the Indians wanting in on Gomez is a bit surprising to me. I say that and completely accept that I don't know their team very well or their minor leagues. Are they in the race this year? I thought they were out of the race.

Non contenders have had interest in Gomez because of the extra year. Not in the race this year.

Non contenders have had interest in Gomez because of the extra year. Not in the race this year.

Understood.

Pitcher A: 335.2 IP, 3.67 ERA, 3.62 FIP, 3.62 xFIP, 9.2 K/9, 2.8 BB/9, free agent after 2019

Player B: 285.1 IP, 3.50 ERA, 3.77 FIP, 3.74 xFIP, 8.6 K/9, 3.9 BB/9, free agent after 2019

One is older, but the other is still rehabbing from Tommy John surgery. Not clear to me which I'd rather have.

Just because Brewer fans don't know how good Fiers has been doesn't mean Wheeler is bad.

Verified Member

Just because Brewer fans don't know how good Fiers has been doesn't mean Wheeler is bad.

He's not bad, but I don't consider him a potential ace which is what I think Carlos Gomez is worth. Wheeler for Segura maybe, but for Gomez I want Matz or better.

He's not bad, but I don't consider him a potential ace which is what I think Carlos Gomez is worth.

Now Wheeler's injury makes this weird, but Gomes has what, around $20-25 million in excess value on his contract? For Hoffman the Rockies had to give up like $60 million in excess value and Hoffman may never come close to what Wheeler has done.

He's not bad, but I don't consider him a potential ace which is what I think Carlos Gomez is worth. Wheeler for Segura maybe, but for Gomez I want Matz or better.

My preference is Syndergaard or Harvey (buy low off his TJ rehab), but it's unrealistic IMO unless we give them moar players and/or prospects.

What you think Gomez is worth or what you want may not be the same as what the Brewers will get. Gomez may be worth Matz, but if the market won't give it you won't get it. Wheeler+ might be the best thing available. You and the Brewers both would prefer Matz...may not get it though.

Sounds like they want to make Gomez into longer controlled MLB ready pieces. Clever idea and could work if they get the right players and go big in FA. Before you grab the pitch fork you should give it a chance. They still have a solid core where getting players controllable through at least 2019 isn't a bad idea. Pure prospects are risky and flop a lot.

If Lagares is coming to Milwaukee, then Parra might also be heading to the Mets.

There hasn't been any talk of pieces outside of Gomez being talked about, but Segura and/or Parra could easily find their way into this deal. Brewers like Flores and Lagares.

Verified Member
What you think Gomez is worth or what you want may not be the same as what the Brewers will get. Gomez may be worth Matz, but if the market won't give it you won't get it. Wheeler+ might be the best thing available. You and the Brewers both would prefer Matz...may not get it though.

Then don't trade him right now, wait until someone is desperate in the offseason or next July. Wheeler is another mid-3.00 ERA pitcher (and we don't even get 6 years of team control) (and he is coming back from a major injury that cost him the entire season). Whoop-de-doo.

I'm guessing the Mets would be thrilled to unload Wheeler on us. I suspect this trade has not happened yet because, as noted on Twitter, Melvin is demanding one of the top-4.

Archived