Brewer Fanatic

Open for business (part 3)

I posted in the rumors section my thoughts on Parra. I was in the boat that once we get an offer better than what we paid for him, he should be gone.

Then I looked at this, particularliy the (small sample) lead off splits. http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=parrage01&year=&t=b

Give me a good reason that we should trade a 28 year old lead off hitter like him for anything less than a big asset package rather than extend him?

Because you're buying very high. That extension you want to give him is also going to cost a big asset package in the form of big dollars at a time that we're presumably rebuilding.

Do you want to spend that kind of money on a guy whose career numbers profile him more as a borderline 3rd/excellent 4th OFer rather than the high end corner outfielder he looks like right now?

Which do you think is more likely - that something just clicked with Parra in his 7th season and he's now an entirely different player than he has been since 2009, or he's just one of the countless players who have had a career year and then come back down closer to their norms in future seasons?

Even if it ends up being the former, I don't see it being worth the risk to find out for where we are at right now.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Verified Member
Which do you think is more likely - that something just clicked with Parra in his 7th season and he's now an entirely different player than he has been since 2009, or he's just one of the countless players who have had a career year and then come back down closer to their norms in future seasons?

He already had a 4.5 fWAR season under his belt, to be fair. I think teams recognize that he is an elite defender even if UZR does not this season, so they are going to be valuing him pretty highly (or should) if his bat is showing any life whatsoever.

Mark bought a team on the rise and did little to really make them better. He is riding on the coattails of those that came before. I don't fault him for anything before 2012 but since then there have been several times the team should be torn down. The last 3 years have been painful to watch. I am tired of striving for mediocrity. I like the moves that have been made since the start of 2014. Garza was not a horrible risk or signing. It was just money. Lohse was terrible because we gave up the pick. the drafts have been good the last couple years. We have been aggressive in South America. We still need to make some trades and if we don't at the deadline I will be very disappointed.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

@NYPost_Mets: Going to take back what I said earlier: The talks with Milwaukee have included Gomez's name. The Mets want him.

If they traded for Gomez would they just bench Juan Lagares who is a good defensive CF, but a bad hitter?

@jcrasnick: The #Mets indeed want Carlos Gomez. Heard #Brewers are asking for a "top 4 starter" in return. You know who they are.

Gimme Harvey! He's been the one that's struggling lol.

In seriousness, Colon and Niese are their #3 and #4 right now. ;)

Verified Member
@jcrasnick: The #Mets indeed want Carlos Gomez. Heard #Brewers are asking for a "top 4 starter" in return. You know who they are.

Quite generous to include Wheeler in the same tier as Harvey/deGrom/Matz. This trade is going to be bad... Wheeler is such a disappointing return for Gomez.

Quite generous to include Wheeler in the same tier as Harvey/deGrom/Matz. This trade is going to be bad... Wheeler is such a disappointing return for Gomez.

I disagree with that. Wheeler has ace upside. You're asking for the moon. If they want to part with Harvey/deGrom/Matz/Syndergaard great, but Wheeler is no slouch either. IMO

Zach Wheeler plus some might be good value for Gomez. Gomez has had nagging injuries and has not been the great player he was the last two years. Add that with his temper and maybe teams are down on him. Mets have been the only team motivated to get him so that is likely a sign they are our best chance.

Didn't the Brewers try to trade for Wheeler from the Giants? or was that Bumgarner? I can't remember any more but I could have sworn he was a possibility in a trade with the Giants getting Hart.

Archived