Brewer Fanatic

Open for business (part 3)

Our team is not better than the Giants, with or without an ace. I feel like the FO has the same opinion; that we are much closer than we really are and I feel like that's a big problem here.

If we are cherry picking our worst months and taking them out to celebrate. 500ish ball in the other months, we do not have a good franchise model. I am certainly starting to believe that our FO is more concerned with the short-term business model (how can we keep fans coming in and interested and keep revenue up) vs a franchise model (how can we build a World Series team)?

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Verified Member
Apparently the Mets are working on acquiring a "big bat" and the rumor has momentum. It's also not Cespedes. So it could be either Justin Upton or Carlos Gomez, if I'm not missing anyone.

(According to Andy Martino

)

Hope it's not Gomez. I just cannot get excited about any of the Mets prospects. Unless they traded Matz, but I think he's off limits.

Verified Member
Hope it's not Gomez. I just cannot get excited about any of the Mets prospects. Unless they traded Matz, but I think he's off limits.

They have a number of second-tier pieces I wouldn't mind having (Cecchini, Smith, Fulmer, Urena), so maybe Melvin could do breadth over depth. I want no part of a trade headlined by Conforto, Nimmo, or Wheeler though...

Apparently the Mets are working on acquiring a "big bat" and the rumor has momentum. It's also not Cespedes. So it could be either Justin Upton or Carlos Gomez, if I'm not missing anyone.

(According to Andy Martino

)

From what we last heard the Brewers were asking for a king's ransom for Gomez. I doubt that they radically changed their minds.

Of course what we view as a king's ransom could differ from how they view it.

I posted in the rumors section my thoughts on Parra. I was in the boat that once we get an offer better than what we paid for him, he should be gone.

Then I looked at this, particularliy the (small sample) lead off splits. http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=parrage01&year=&t=b

Give me a good reason that we should trade a 28 year old lead off hitter like him for anything less than a big asset package rather than extend him?

I think that placement in the order can help/hurt guys, but I don't think batting leadoff is the reason for his monster year. I think the "oh, he's really turned it around after moving to the leadoff spot" gets overblown by announcers a lot. Sometimes hitting in front of a certain player gets you better pitches, but it's not some wacky mental change that makes you an All Star like some announcers seem to claim.

I think he'll be a .750-.775 guy that platoons (which I would love to have, but not for the money) and I'd rather just get what I can for him right now. Can always sign him back after the season.

Oh Id trade anyone for the right price. But Parra is now moving from the nice trade piece to a guy that I would just as soon extend rather than dump for anything less than a very significant package. If he was 34 instead of 28 Id be more concerned with his bump in production as being flukey.

I am becoming to become used to starting the game off with a guy standing on 2b. He might be our best lead off hitter since the Ignitor.

If they can pull of a very rare trade and sign, id be fine with that, but he would be a FA Id prioritize.

The Minnesota Twins (who still don't realize it I don't think) and Kurt Suzuki say hi....

Upton was pulled out of the game, for what that is worth.

EDIT: Saw that posted on another forum by multiple people, but the box score for the game still shows Justin Upton in there, so...

There's conflicting reports now. Morosi says discussions between Mets and Tigers have little traction, while another person says Cespedes to Mets is imminent.

Who reliable said that?

I don't know if he's a reliable source, but something to note, I guess.

airfigaro

It seems like the Brewers I have a lot of players that should/could be traded. Gomez is the most valuable and will likely catch the greatest haul, it also might be unlikely to go. It seems like Lind and Parra should be shopped for the best offer. Is there any reason Melvin should not trade those two? What are the odds that Gomaz get shopped?

J.P. Breen

It’s always important to remember that it takes two to tango at the deadline. Just because Gomez would hypothetically bring the best haul, doesn’t mean anyone is willing to pay the necessary price.

In terms of Lind and Parra, the Brewers should absolutely be shopping the pair. I believe the organization is reluctant to move Lind for two reasons: (1) the feeling I get from talking to people is that ownership is reluctant to engage in a true fire-sale, both due to business and competitive reasons; and (2) the Brewers have had such difficulty finding quality first-base production since Prince Fielder departed, and the club doesn’t wish to immediately throw that away and restart their search for a big-league first baseman.

If I had to guess — and it’s what I would call partially-informed speculation — I’d say Adam Lind is still wearing a Brewers uniform in August, unless a team backs up the truck and unloads the farm.

http://milwaukee.locals.baseballprospectus.com/2015/07/29/all-questions-answered-trade-deadline-2015/

So depressing.

Oh gee, I believe I said exactly that on here last night and got destroyed. We still have 48 hours, but DM and MA appear to be cowards.

Melvin keeps it close to the chest

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

There's conflicting reports now. Morosi says discussions between Mets and Tigers have little traction, while another person says Cespedes to Mets is imminent.

Who reliable said that?

I don't know if he's a reliable source, but something to note, I guess.

No one else is jumping on that boat and more notable people are saying it is not Cespedes. Not to sure about that guy.

Archived