Brewer Fanatic

Open for business (part 3)

This is a very good sign, if true:

"While the Mets offered a pitching prospect that the Brewers had asked about previously, the interest in Parra is now to the point where the Brewers believe they can do even better."

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/new-york-mets-ben-zobrist-jay-bruce-justin-upton-trade-deadline-ken-rosenthal-072515

-----

Continued from:

viewtopic.php?p=952542#p952542

Original Lead:

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=32626

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"While the Mets offered a pitching prospect that the Brewers had asked about previously, the interest in Parra is now to the point where the Brewers believe they can do even better."

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/new-york-mets-ben-zobrist-jay-bruce-justin-upton-trade-deadline-ken-rosenthal-072515

Marcos Molina or Gabriel Ynoa?

SO glad the Brewers traded Gallardo in the winter instead of in July... the trade market is oversaturated with starting pitchers right now.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Segura, Garza and Lohse for Shields and Myers. If Im going to over pay for a starting pitcher I might as well have one that pitches halfway decent.

So then why does that make sense for the Padres? The fact they get a SS that isn't even good and maybe a very slight upgrade? Sure they save a little bit of money, but like you said I'd rather have a guy who is at least decent.

James Shields is 33, why would we want to take on that contract? I would have absolutely traded for him in 2008, but not now.

It would be awesome if the Brewers would quit taking on pitchers in their mid 30s and expecting them to play a major role.

Unless you're hoping he opts of the out the contract after 2016 and then what was the point? Simply to acquire 4 years of Wil Myers and swap our bad Garza contract for a worse contract?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

James Shields is 33, why would we want to take on that contract? I would have absolutely traded for him in 2008, but not now.

It would be awesome if the Brewers would quit taking on pitchers in their mid 30s and expecting them to play a major role.

Unless you're hoping he opts of the out the contract after 2016 and then what was the point? Simply to acquire 4 years of Wil Myers and swap our bad Garza contract for a worse contract?

I'd be trading Segura for Myers and praying for an opt out.

And they also have been hurting for a SS upgrade since ST. Segura, while okay-ish this year, would still represent a significant upgrade at SS for SD.

I like your idea, Boomer5. Ironically, during the Royals' game in KC, while texting my good friend about seeing Cain homer for them in-person (we both liked him on his way up through our system), I saw MLBTradeRumors' bit about Texas maybe being interested in Shields. So if SD's really hoping to get out of Shields' contract, I posed the idea of Garza & Sardinas to SD for Shields with other parts necessary from either side to make the idea work (I'd rather trade Sardinas over Segura, but moving either/both is fine given the notion that Arcia's likely the long-term SS for MIL with Rivera a possibly-better Plan B than Segura). We'd trade unwanted contracts -- they'd get the shorter & small commitment plus the SS upgrade they need, we'd get the better pitcher who'd actually be a good rotation anchor even when he's more like a #2.

Supposedly they want out of Shield's contract badly.

Yah they want OUT of it. Not just transfer it to other crummy players.

Two of them being worse pitchers than Shields and one of them with two years left. This proposal is basically making a deal to make a deal, from SD's perspective. Myers is one of the few players they'd probably like to hang onto, unless it were a situation where dealing Myers guaranteed that Shields, Upton, or Kimbrel were also dealt.

Marcos Molina or Gabriel Ynoa?

Maybe Michael Fulmer? Brewers have leverage with many teams looking for a bat. Glad it appears they are using it.

I like that they could trade just Parra (who's playing crazy-good now) or they could also expand it to several other hitters (Gomez, Lind, Segura, etc.) who they don't have to trade at all, which ultimately should just gain them leverage if more moves happen.

It's too bad that other than Cotts, the last-contract-year pitchers aren't helping deals to get done, which is compounded all the more by the pitching market being reasonably buyer-friendly this year.

Hopefully this is just posturing by the Brewers. If they really think they can contend in 2016 it is just the same old same old from Mark A

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/25251462/cardinals-had-talks-about-lind-brewers-havent-ruled-out-keeping-him

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Hopefully this is just posturing by the Brewers. If they really think they can contend in 2016 it is just the same old same old from Mark A

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/25251462/cardinals-had-talks-about-lind-brewers-havent-ruled-out-keeping-him

I took that as them just keeping him if they don't get a real offer. If all we are getting offered is reliever prospects etc. he may have more value just mashing for $8mil. I wouldn't be surprised if no one wants to give up anything.

The brewer have some legit MLB pieces that deadline buyer teams should covet...if the offers aren't prospects that immediately improve the talent level in the organization, the Brewers have the luxury to not make a trade and wait for better offers to come along.

I envision trades happening last minute with the brewers, once Melvin gets as many offers as possible for a few bats and arms. I don't know if guys like Gomez or Lucroy will be moved, simply because they could likely get better value for them in the offsets on when every team is looking to improve their rosters.

I have a feeling that we aren't going to make any more deals now. We will end up being stuck with Parra for the season because Doug can't get a fair trade for him and He moves luc and carlos in the off season

I have a feeling that we aren't going to make any more deals now. We will end up being stuck with Parra for the season because Doug can't get a fair trade for him and He moves luc and carlos in the off season

That doesn't sound at all like what's been reported over the last couple days. The Brewers know they have a valuable trade piece in Parra and it's not like they're planning on building around him long term.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived