Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Tuesday 7/28

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Tuesday's Daily Menu:

All times are Central

Colorado Springs: RHP Hiram Burgos at New Orleans (Marlins), 5:30 PM pre-game, 6:00 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

We welcome Dan Karcher, who is the longtime play-by-play voice of the Sky Sox; follow him on Twitter @SkySoxKarch

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; all Colorado Springs games, home and away, will be available to watch via MiLB.TV's $49.99 season-long package ($12.99 to pay for a single month). The audio feed is from the home team. The video of each game is archived online, which is a nice feature. All MiLB.TV details available at the link.

NOTE: Notice that on MiLB.TV's page, you can click on "Filter", then "Milwaukee Brewers", and you'll see just the Crew's organizational TV lineup.

Biloxi: RHP Johnny Hellweg at home vs. Jackson (Mariners), 6:55 PM pre-game, 7:10 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

We also welcome Chris Harris as the very first play-by-play voice of the Shuckers! Follow Chris on Twitter @CHarris731. We'll be linking to his fantastic "Shuck Dynasty" blog. All games, home and away, are scheduled to be radio broadcast.

MiLB.TV - Eight of the ten Southern League teams telecast their home games, and Biloxi is among them!

Brevard County: LHP Wei-Chung Wang at home vs. Palm Beach (Cardinals), 5:05 PM pre-game, 5:35 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Dave Walkovic returns as the play-by-play voice of the 'Tees; follow the Brevard broadcast booth staff on Twitter @BCManateesRadio, as all home games and the "commuter" road games are scheduled to be broadcast in 2015.

No Florida State League games are available via MiLB.TV.

Wisconsin: RHP Cody Ponce at home vs. Peoria (Cardinals), 6:45 PM pre-game, 7:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link - WNAM

Chris Mehring is back to do his customary fantastic work as the Voice of the Rattlers. Follow him on Twitter @CMehring; we'll link to Chris' infamous blog often -- Rattler Radio.

NOTE: Forty-two (!) of the Rattlers' 70 home games will be broadcast on TV this season. Time Warner Cable SportsChannel (9) and WACY-TV My NEW32 (34) will split duties. We'll let you know when and who, and remember to refer to the Rattlers' full TV schedule (scroll to bottom of link) so you can coordinate your DVR activity.

So, for the $49.95 season-long package, fans in Brewer Nation can watch all Sky Sox games, most Shuckers games, and all Timber Rattlers home games and some road games.

Helena: LHP Jake Drossner at Missoula (Diamondbacks), 7:45 PM pre-game, 8:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

We welcome back and again look forward to hearing second-year Voice of the H-Crew Dustin Daniel (@dustin__daniel on Twitter).

MiLB.TV -- When the H-Crew makes their way to Idaho Falls in August, those games will be available to watch online.

Arizona Rookie (Maryvale): at home vs. the smallish Padres', 9:00 PM gametime; never audio for games in this league

DSL Brewers: at the DSL Pirates, 9:30 AM, although game data won't be available until later in the day

We'll link to this Dominican Summer League Brewers' thread as part of the Daily Menu all season to assist you with your familiarity with these young men.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Look for these just prior to the respective game times --

Biloxi Media Notes - Linked on the Shuck Dynasty blog

Brevard County Media Notes - It's a unique link each day, but look for it under the "Multimedia" banner on the Manatees' site.

Wisconsin Media Notes - Linked on the Rattler Radio blog

STANDINGS:

AAA - Pacific Coast League American Northern Division

AA - Southern League South Division

High-A - Florida State League North Division

A - Midwest League Western Division

Pioneer League North Division

Arizona League Central Division

Dominican Summer League San Pedro de Macoris

Sortable individual stat pages:

Colorado Springs

Biloxi

Brevard County

Wisconsin

Helena

Maryvale

DSL Brewers

Weather.com:

New Orleans, LA

Biloxi, MS

Viera, FL

Grand Chute, WI

Missoula, MT

Maryvale, AZ

San Pedro de Macoris, DR

Brewer Fanatic Staff

The Sky Sox have caught up on posting some pre-game audio online -- Pitching Coach Fred Dabney is always a good interview, Jason Rogers is a good listen, and Manager Rick Sweet shares stories from his playing days, nice stuff from an old-school perspective...

Brewer Fanatic Staff

DVR ALERTS!

Timber Rattlers on local TV Tuesday (tonight) and Wednesday night this week, airtime 7:00 PM each evening, nice pre-game for the big league broadcast

Tuesday - Time Warner Cable SportsChannel (RHP Cody Ponce scheduled starter)

Wednesday - MyNew32 TV (RHP Devin Williams scheduled starter)

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Young RHP David Burkhalter is the scheduled tandem for Cody Ponce tonight, a nice local TV opportunity there.

By the way, the Midwest League Pitcher of the Week Award for July 21-27 did not go to the Timber Rattlers' Angel Ventura despite fantastic outings the last two times out. But one of those outings took place on the 20th and didn't count for this week's recognition, although he still should have beat this Midwest League guy, despite the interesting backstory.

That's alright, let Ventura fly under the radar a bit longer...

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Here's MLB Pipeline's updated Brewers Top 30.

Orlando Arcia 14, Trent Clark 86 on MLB Pipeline's Top MLB 100

MLB needs to provide a link to the prior update. You can use the archive feature to go back to only one place and time in each of the prior years, but if they do multiple updates within the year, we're left to document the order.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Bristol (VA) Herald Courier.com

Tristan Archer pitched so well on Saturday night that he would rank it among his best performances of 2015.

The Sullivan South High School graduate struck out six over five shutout innings of relief to pick up the win for the Brevard County Manatees in their 6-4 victory over the St. Lucie Mets in the second game of a Florida State League doubleheader.

Archer allowed just three singles and did not issue a walk.

“I would say that both my fastball and slider were both working well for me,” Archer said. “I was able to get ahead with my fastball and able to put guys away with my slider.”

Archer is 2-4 with one save and a 4.62 ERA in 22 games this summer for the Milwaukee Brewers’ High-Class A farm team. He hopes to build off Saturday’s spectacular showing.

“It helps a lot with my confidence going forward,” Archer said. “I had been struggling in my past couple of outings and my pitching coach pointed some things out in a bullpen a few days ago and things started to click. So, I am hoping to keep it rolling to finish out the year.”

Final: DSL Brewers 4, DSL Pirates 6

DSL Brewers Box Score

The Brewers saw their brief two game win streak come to an end as they fell to the Pirates 6-4. 20-year-old Venezuelan Junior Flores started and suffered the loss after giving up five runs in four innings of work. Boanerges Nova went three innings, allowing just one unearned run and Deymar Alvarado tossed a scoreless eighth. Second baseman Franly Mallen paced the offense with a double, home run and three runs batted in. Shortstop Ignacio Otaño singled and doubled while right fielder Anderson Jesus added a single and a walk.

DSL Brewers Game Log

Rattlers beat Peoria 8-3 to win fourth straight

Ponce picks up first pro win and Rubio hits two homers

By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/2/2/8/133807228/cuts/6_30_Rubio_Web_riwzvdk4_2lj4a75x.jpg

Elvis Rubio hit a pair of homers and drove in three runs for the Timber Rattlers on Tuesday night. (Wisconsin Timber Rattlers/Ann Mollica)

GRAND CHUTE, WI - The Wisconsin Timber Rattlers reached a four-game winning streak for the first time this season as they defeated the Peoria Chiefs 8-3 on Tuesday night at Neuroscience Group Field at Fox Cities Stadium. Cody Ponce pitched five scoreless innings and Elvis Rubio hit a pair of homers for Wisconsin.

The Timber Rattlers (35-66 overall, 12-19 second half) took advantage of a pair of Peoria errors in the bottom of the second inning to take the lead. Rubio reached on an error to start the inning. Alan Sharkey singled and Sthervin Matos drew a walk to load the bases with no outs. Francisco Castillo was next and he hit a grounder to first. The throw home got Rubio on the force play, but the throw to first for the double play sailed down the line in right. Sharkey and Matos scored and Castillo wound up on third base on the play. Tucker Neuhaus put the Rattlers up 3-0 with a single to left.

Wisconsin expanded their lead in the middle innings with some extra-base hits. Neuhaus stepped to the plate with a Castillo at first in the bottom of the fourth inning and tripled to drive in the run. Mitch Meyer followed Neuhaus with another triple and the Rattlers were up 5-0.

Rubio made it 7-0 in the fifth. Carlos Leal singled to extend his current hitting streak to six games. Rubio blasted a 1-1 pitch from Peoria starting pitcher Luis Perdomo to the left of the scoreboard for a two-run shot, his third home run of the season.

Ponce worked around four hits and two walks over five shutout innings. The Brewers second round pick of the 2015 draft struck out two and put himself in line for his first professional victory.

Peoria (54-46, 21-11) entered the game on a five-game winning streak and got on the scoreboard in the top of the seventh inning against reliever David Burkhalter. A single and a walk with two outs put two runners on for Andrew Sohn, who hit a home run to left to cut Wisconsin's lead to four runs.

Rubio welcomed Peoria reliever Cody Schumacher to the game with a leadoff home run to left in the bottom of the seventh. Rubio is the first Timber Rattler to hit two home runs in a game since Monte Harrison hit a pair against Cedar Rapids on April 22.

Burkhalter closed out the game with a perfect eighth and a 1-2-3 ninth.

Game two of the series is Wednesday night. Eric Hanhold (0-1, 9.00) is the scheduled starting pitcher for the Timber Rattlers. Peoria plans to send Dewin Perez (2-3, 2-3, 8.17) to the mound. Game time is 7:05pm.

Fox Communities Credit Union will have over $2,000 in cash in envelopes for fans as part of their cash giveaway on Wednesday. Fans may enjoy Cher-Make hotdogs, Pepsi products, and Miller beer for $1 during the game as part of WIXX Bang for Your Buck Night!

If you can't make it out to the stadium, there are several ways to catch the action.

MyNEW 32's Sports Showdown will televise the game starting at 7:00pm. The radio broadcast is on AM1280, WNAM starting with the Miller Lite Pregame Show at 6:45pm. The broadcast may also be heard on Tune In Radio and IHeartRadio. Subscribers to MiLB.TV may watch the game on that platform.

HOME RUNS:

PEO:

Andrew Sohn (3rd, 2 on in 7th inning off David Burkhalter, 2 out)

WIS:

Elvis Rubio (3rd, 1 on in 5th inning off Luis Perdomo, 0 out)

Elvis Rubio (4th, 0 on in 7th inning off Cody Schumacher, 0 out)

WP: Cody Ponce (1-1)

LP: Luis Perdomo (5-8)

SAVE: David Burkhalter (5)

TIME: 2:21

ATTN: 2,728

Rattler Radio Postgame Post – July 28, 2015

3 short audio interviews: Ponce, Rubio (Aviles), and Caufield... video interview with Neuhaus and of course the highlights.

Wisconsin Boxscore

Cardinals prospect Luis Perdomo is a little dude, I doubt he's 6' 2" but I believe he's only 160lbs, after his first pitch I was like "woah", and I put the gun on him and he was regularly 94-95. So I instantly became curious what Rattlers would be able to turn on his FB as he was leaving them up, many Rattler teams in the past had maybe 2 or 3 guys who could turn on that kind of heat. After Elvis Rubio lined out to the LF on a laser in the 3rd I wrote a note to myself "Rubio has bat speed, easily turned around that 95 MPH FB". An inning later I added "as does Matos" and a couple of batters later, "so does Meyer". Then in the 5th Rubio smoked his first HR.

The Tucker Neuhaus triple was a mid 90s FB that caught a ton of home plate but he was slightly behind and it tailed away from the CF into the LC gap. Tucker hit everything to the left side so I didn't see him turn on anything but he's looking better at 2nd base every time I see him play.

Omar Cotto went back up the middle twice, a sharp grounder and liner for his 2 hits in 5 PAs and was the final player with a multi-hit game.

David Burkhalter got stung by 7, 8, and 9 in the order, that didn't make me happy. He wasn't locating his CB at all today, I remember just one for a strike, it breaks 1-7 and is actually slower than I thought, it was between 61 and 63 MPH... wow.

Wisconsin Recap

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Cody Ponce RHP

• True 3/4 delivery.
    In the wind up he has a very deliberate pace then explodes towards home plate.
    His bottom half is pretty clean, he stays open and directs all his momentum through home plate.
    He wasn't as explosive out of the stretch, his FB was down about 2 MPH on average.
    He's very inconsistent up top, he rarely finishes the same though he holds his arm slot well.
    FB topped out at 97, the curve was his best off speed, the cutter/slider wasn't impressive at all.
    Didn't throw the secondary stuff for strikes, anytime he was full or in a hitter's count it was all FBs.
    His pick off move was pretty slow, I hope that was his C move and he has better stuff in the toolbox.

[pre]01) 93 (21) 92 (41) 00 (61) 78

02) 92 (22) 92 (42) 94 (62) 92

03) 94 (23) 93 (43) 91 (63) 76

04) 87 (24) 91 (44) 93 (64) 82

05) 94 (25) 92 (45) 96 (65) 92

06) 94 (26) 93 (46) 81

07) 94 (27) 94 (47) 95

08) 93 (28) 91 (48) 89

09) 95 (29) 93 (49) 94

10) 91 (30) 93 (50) 94

11) 93 (31) 80 (51) 95

12) 93 (32) 76 (52) 88

13) 97 (33) 94 (53) 79

14) 79 (34) 80 (54) 85

15) 95 (35) 92 (55) 93

16) 94 (36) 85 (56) 92

17) 92 (37) 81 (57) 93

18) 83 (38) 81 (58) 90

19) 92 (39) 95 (59) 90

20) 80 (40) 81 (60) 91[/pre]

- Plato

- Plato

Tyler Linehan LHP

[pre]01) 85

02) 85

03) 87

04) 85

05) 87

06) 86

07) 89

08) 72

09) 82

10) 88[/pre]

- Plato

- Plato

David Burkhalter RHP

Pitch #16 was the HR to the #9 hitter.

[pre]01) 87 (21) 62 (41) 00

02) 88 (22) 87 (42) 87

03) 73 (23) 86 (43) 88

04) 86 (24) 84 (44) 86

05) 87 (25) 85

06) 86 (26) 64

07) 87 (27) 83

08) 61 (28) 86

09) 86 (29) 87

10) 85 (30) 86

11) 87 (31) 87

12) 86 (32) 87

13) 85 (33) 63

14) 86 (34) 88

15) 61 (35) 84

16) 87 (36) 85

17) 83 (37) 86

18) 87 (38) 86

19) 87 (39) 88

20) 87 (40) 81[/pre]

- Plato

- Plato

Nielsen's Strong Effort Carries Cardinals

By Jerry Durney / Brevard County Manatees

07/28/2015 10:27 PM ET

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/9/9/4/124065994/cuts/McFarland_7wookl40_gtu38cx0.JPG

Chris McFarland, seen here from a game earlier this year, collected two hits in Tuesday night's loss. (Dennis Greenblatt/Hawk-Eye Sports Photography)

Viera, Fla. - The Palm Beach Cardinals (22-9, 54-47 overall) continued to display their strength in starting pitching and timely hitting Tuesday night in a 3-1 win over the Brevard County Manatees (14-16, 43-56 overall) at Space Coast Stadium.

Palm Beach made the most of a Manatee mistake in the bottom in the fourth as Luke Voit reached base with one out as a would-be flyout was ruled as catcher's interference by Rafael Neda. Voit then moved to third on a double down the left field. Carson Kelly then fouled out on a ball that went deep enough down the right field line that allowed Voit to sprint home with the game's first run.

Robelys Reyes led off the following inning with an infield single that was knocked down in the hole by Angel Ortega. After C.J. McElroy lined out to first, Danny Diekroeger hit into a potential double play ball but Chris McFarland bobbled the ball as he attempted to throw to second base, putting two on for Brett Wiley. Wiley brought home Reyes with a base hit to right and moved Diekroeger over to third in the process. Collin Radack would bring him home shortly after that on a sacrifice fly to deep center.

The Manatees' best chance to come back came in the bottom of the eighth against reliever Lee Stoppelman. The rally started with a two-out walk to Jose Pena, followed by a base hit to right by Ortega. Omar Garcia then got the Manatees on the board with a double down the left field line to score Pena and move Ortega to third, chasing Stoppelman in the process. Josh Lucas would be called upon to put out the fire and he did just that, striking out McFarland to end the inning.

Brevard County's last gasp came with two out in the bottom of the ninth on a Brennan single off of Lucas. He would move to second on a wild pitch but Michael Ratterree popped up to Reyes at short to end the ballgame.

Trey Nielsen was outstanding to earn his ninth win of the season for the Cardinals, throwing seven shutout innings, giving up just four hits and walking none. Offensively, Wiley's three-hit game carried the night.

Wei-Chung Wang pitched better than the result for the 'Tees, giving up three unearned runs on six hits in six innings, striking out three and walking none. McFarland and Neda each recorded multi-hit games. Garrett Cooper's streak of consecutive games was ended at 12 thanks to an 0-for-4 night at the plate.

The series concludes tomorrow night as RHP Javi Salas (7-6, 3.44 ERA) takes to the mound against RHP Nick Petree (2-2, 3.67 ERA). First pitch is scheduled for 6:35 P.M.

Brevard County Box Score

Decent looking line for Wei-Chung Wang: 6 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K

However, he was not sharp. He had almost double the number of pitches versus Nielsen by the 4th inning. He had only thrown 6 pitches in his previous outing due to a rain out and that's been it for the last couple of weeks so maybe that explains his lack of sharpness. Chris McFarland and Rafael Neda had 2 hit nights for the Manatees.

Brevard County Game Log

Final: Jackson 7, Biloxi 5

Shuckers fall to Generals, 7-5, winning streak snapped at three games

Victor Roache collected two more doubles and Taylor Green blasted his fifth long ball

Biloxi Shuckers

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/5/8/0/139395580/cuts/BRP_1503_dbpxxrh8_p5l5putr.jpg'

Taylor Green belted his third MGM Park homer on Tuesday night (Benton Reed Photography)

BILOXI, MS – The Shuckers dropped the opener of the five-game series with the Jackson Generals (TN) by a final score of 7-5 in front of a crowd of 2,705 at MGM Park on Tuesday night. The loss snapped a string of three-straight wins for Biloxi and dropped the Shuckers to two games under .500 in the second half.

The game-changing play was a controversial grand slam homerun by Jackson’s Jordy Lara, capping a five-run fifth inning for the Generals.

In the loss, the Shuckers pounded out 10 hits, three going for extra-bases which included two doubles from Victor Roache and a two-run homerun from Taylor Green. Biloxi has 24 hits over the last two outings.

Jackson (9-21) plated the first two runs of the game in the second inning. Lara started the frame with a walk and came around to score on Jabari Henry’s home run to left field two outs later.

Biloxi (14-16) got a run back in the home-half of the inning with double by Victor Roache (2x4, 2 2B, R) and Tyrone Taylor (2x3, 2 RBI, R, BB), cutting the deficit to one. Roache extended his on-base streak to 13 games with the two-hit performance and is 11-for-23 with seven doubles over his last six games.

The Shuckers used a long ball of their own to grab the lead in the fourth. Nick Ramirez (1x3, 2 R, BB) broke out of an 0-for-14 slump with a one-out single and Green (2x4, HR, 2 RBI, 2 R) blasted his fifth homerun of the season to give Biloxi a 3-2 lead.

The advantage would not hold, as the Generals plated the five runs in the fifth off of Biloxi starter Johnny Hellweg (0-4) to gain a four-run edge. Back-to-back walks to Tyler Bortnick and Ian Miller started the inning before Tyler Smith struck out for the first out. A free pass to Julio Morban loaded the bases for Marcus Littlewood, who singled in the tying run and kept the bags full for Jordy Lara. The designated hitter hit a high drive that squeezed just inside the left field foul pole.

Hellweg dropped to 0-4 and walked five over 4.1 innings, allowing seven runs on six hits with two strikeouts.

Brent Suter was the first reliever to come out of the bullpen for Biloxi and allowed two hits over 1.2 innings, lowing his ERA to 1.98. Derek Eitel came on in relief for the seventh time as a member of the Shuckers to start the seventh and picked up two strikeouts in two innings of work. Martin Viramontes allowed a hit in the ninth, but kept the Generals off the scoreboard.

Biloxi cut the deficit to two with a two-run eighth. Ramirez started the inning with a walk and moved over to third an out later on a single by Green. Taylor bounced a grounder to third that was thrown wildly to first by Aderlin Rodriguez, allowing Ramirez to score and placing the runners at second and third. A sacrifice fly off the bat of Josh Fellhauer (1x3, RBI, 2B) plated Green to get the Shuckers within 7-5.

Biloxi will look to even the series on Wednesday night in game two of the five-game series. RHP Brooks Hall (7-6, 4.66) will take the mound for the Shuckers, while the Generals will send out RHP Edwin Diaz (3-8, 4.36). First pitch is scheduled for 7:10 p.m., with coverage beginning at 6:55 p.m. on 1240-AM WGCM, 1580-AM WPMO and the Biloxi Shuckers Radio Network. Fans can also listen to the game using the TuneIn Radio app or by going to http://www.biloxishuckers.com.

Biloxi Box Score

It's been tough to watch Johnny Hellweg's struggles as he continues to have trouble finding the strike zone during his comeback from TJ surgery. Five more walks tonight give him 22 in just 15 innings since joining Biloxi. On a brighter note, Victor Roache continues to rake. Two more doubles and an average up to .276 since joining the Shuckers. Tyrone Taylor had a nice night as well. After a 3-for-5 last night, he singled, doubled and walked tonight. He drove his double pretty well and it didn't miss leaving the yard by much.

Biloxi Game Log

The home run hurt Hellweg, but the runners he put on base ahead of it made it hurt more than it needed to.

Jackson Top of the 5th

Tyler Bortnick singles on a ground ball to center fielder Tyrone Taylor.

With Ian Miller batting, wild pitch by Johnny Hellweg, Tyler Bortnick to 2nd.

Ian Miller walks.

Tyler Smith strikes out swinging.

Julio Morban walks. Tyler Bortnick to 3rd. Ian Miller to 2nd.

Marcus Littlewood singles on a ground ball to right fielder Josh Fellhauer. Tyler Bortnick scores. Ian Miller to 3rd. Julio Morban to 2nd.

Jordy Lara hits a grand slam (5) to left field. Ian Miller scores. Julio Morban scores. Marcus Littlewood scores.

Pitching Change: Brent Suter replaces Johnny Hellweg.

Archived