Brewer Fanatic

2015-07-28 Brewers (Peralta) at Giants (Cain), 9:15 PM CDT [Brewers win, 5-2]

1992casey

[igt-2012][game-setup][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/brewers.png[/logo][game-info][h1]July 28 | 9:15 P.M.[/h1][h2]Brewers (43-57)

Giants (55-44)[/h2][h3]FSWI | WTMJ 620[/h3][/game-info][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/giants.png[/logo][/game-setup][pitching-photos]brewers-2015_peralta-wily.jpggiants-2015_cain-matt.jpg[/pitching-photos][game-matchup][divclass=away][pitcher]Wily Peralta[/pitcher][h2]1-5, 4.00 ERA, 1.43 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Giants | Game Log[/h3][h3]Peralta will pitch in the Majors for the first time since straining his left oblique during a May 22 start at Atlanta. At the time, Peralta believe he’d miss one start, but he missed two months instead.[/h3][/divclass][divclass=home][pitcher]Matt Cain[/pitcher][h2]2-1, 4.09 ERA, 1.32 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Brewers | Game Log[/h3][h3]Cain appears to be settling in after returning from the disabled list. In his last outing on July 22, the right-hander fired six innings of one run ball. He struck out six and walked one in the 7-1 win over San Diego.[/h3][/divclass][starting-lineup][divclass=away]

1. RF Gerardo Parra (L)
  2. C Jonathan Lucroy ®
  3. CF Carlos Gómez ®
  4. 1B Adam Lind (L)
  5. LF Khris Davis ®
  6. 2B Scooter Gennett (L)
  7. SS Jean Segura ®
  8. 3B Hernán Pérez ®
  9. RHP Wily Peralta ®

[/divclass][divclass=home]

1. CF Ángel Pagán (S)
  2. LF Nori Aoki (L)
  3. 3B Matt Duffy ®
  4. C Buster Posey ®
  5. RF Hunter Pence ®
  6. 1B Brandon Belt (L)
  7. SS Brandon Crawford (L)
  8. 2B Ehire Adrianza (S)
  9. RHP Matt Cain ®

[/divclass][/starting-lineup][/game-matchup][game-links][h3][chat]BrewerFan Chat[/chat] | MLB Gameday[/h3][/game-links][/igt-2012]

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Community Moderator
Watching Parra tonight reminds me that I am going to miss him. He has played admirably offensively and is fun to watch defensively. Will enjoy continuing to follow him, now TRADE HIM already!
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Watching Parra tonight reminds me that I am going to miss him. He has played admirably offensively and is fun to watch defensively. Will enjoy continuing to follow him, now TRADE HIM already!

I think Peterson can be a poor mans Parra while we are in the rebuild phase. But yes, his professional approach to the game will be missed.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Verified Member

I'm watching the Giants broadcast and they just showed a graphic on K-Rod:

He throws the fastball 45% of the time and guys are hitting .300 off of it.

He throws the changeup 43% of the time and guys are hitting .053 off of it.

Why doesn't he throw more changeups? Is it purely because he can't control it as well?

Verified Member
The changeup is only effective when the fastball is mixed in. The problem is that K-Rod leaves the fastball in very hittable spots so it gets hit.

Oh, I understand the theory, but we actually have numbers here. Throwing them equally leaves an "effectiveness" gap of .247, with the changeup being near unhittable. If he changes the ratio to 2:1 changeup:fastball, perhaps guys won't sit on the fastball and hit .300 against it.

Although this is all dependent upon location, so it's kind of silly to surmise too much.

Archived