Brewer Fanatic

Tulo traded to Bluejays

pacopete4
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Terrible trade for the Jays. They have an outside shot at the WC, and Tulo is a home/road split monster. Over his career, he OPS's .135 points higher at home. His splits aren't as bad this year, but generally he splits home/road pretty badly.

Also, they're not exactly a 'young' team, so this isn't a move for the future. I don't get it.

I agree with you that it's not a great trade, but while I harp on the Coors factor more than anyone else, the 2nd best SS in baseball is Tulo on the road...and Rogers Centre is still a great hitter's park.

That said, as he gets older, slower, and plays on that turf, the reason I agree with you is that he will definitely decline. For the next 1-2 years I'd say he's still probably going to be the best SS in baseball even with a drop of probably .70 points in OPS. Again, I think it's a bad idea, though.

probably shuts down the Fiers / Krod to Toronto speculation?

Hoffman was the guy we all wanted but Pompey/Norris/Pentecost are still there in some combination? At this point, I have no idea what Toronto is doing so who knows?

Maybe this, along with Shelby Miller being traded for Heyward will put to rest the belief that the only way you can get young pitching is by trading a starting pitcher. I would do cartwheels if we could do anything close to this for Braun.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

There was a lot of speculation that the Jays would be trying around and flipping Tulowitzki. Anyone know if there's been more on that?

His contract goes to a no trade now. They can buy it out im sure but this just makes the Jays side all the more nuts.

Maybe this, along with Shelby Miller being traded for Heyward will put to rest the belief that the only way you can get young pitching is by trading a starting pitcher. I would do cartwheels if we could do anything close to this for Braun.

I am thinking the same thing. If this kind of package is available for Tulo, Braun should net something similar.

So give up Hoffman and Reyes to get Tulo? How does that batting order work/ Reyes was a perfect leadoff type of batter. Tulo is a #3/4 batter. Kinda where Bautista/Encarnacion/Donaldson fit? I wrote yesterday about a Blue Jays/Brewers trade potential being good...Well the Jays pulled the trigger and sent away the best prospect they likely had.

The contract prices are up there. And Tulo now can't be traded? Hope he's happy in Toronto.

I haven't seen anything on Reyes going back to the Mets, only in someone's comment here. 22mil/year is nothing to sneeze at. The Mets wouldn't be willing to pay that much would they?

The Jays still have the prospects to make a splash in a trade. So maybe they did well in the trade after all? I just don't see Reyes/Tulo being that big of a difference in quality of bat when you role Reyes Leadoff and Tulo #3/4. I call Tulo-Reyes a sideways move, and Colorado got 3 prospects on top.

Amazing trade considering 2 stars involved. Kudos to both GMs for making it happen.

He has some interesting contract clauses though based on Baseball Prospectus info...

Troy Tulowitzki ss

10 years/$157.75M (2011-20), plus 2021 club option

signed extension with Colorado 11/30/10, replacing final 3 years and option in previous contract

11:$5.5M, 12:$8.25M, 13:$10M, 14:$16M, 15-19:$20M annually, 20:$14M, 21:$15M club option ($4M buyout)

salaries for 2020 and 2021 may increase by $6M annually based on MVP votes, Gold Gloves, Silver Sluggers or All-Star selections

award bonuses, including $25,000 each for Gold Glove, All Star

$2M assignment bonus if traded

may be traded only once during contract

6 years/$31M (2008-13), plus 2014 club option

signed extension with Colorado 1/23/08

08:$0.75M, 09:$1M, 10:$3.5M, 11:$5.5M, 12:$8.25M, 13:$10M, 14:$15M club option ($2M buyout)

may void remainder of contract if traded

award bonuses: $25,000 each for All Star, Gold Glove; $50,000 for Silver Slugger. $75,000 for LCS MVP. $0.1M each for MVP, WS MVP

at signing, largest deal for player with less than 2 years of service

1 year/$0.381M (2007)

1 year (2006)

contract purchased by Colorado 8/06

drafted by Colorado 2005 (1-7) (Long Beach State)

signed 6/05, $2.3M signing bonus

agent: Paul Cohen

ML service: 8.033

I've seen it referenced several times regarding the fact that Tulo now has a full no-trade clause (so he can't be flipped by TOR unless he agrees to it), but this is the only reference I've seen to any mention that he can void his contract if traded. Could he elect free agency at the end of the year?

Gruber Lawffices

Will be interesting to see when they flip Reyes. Maybe let him get the Coors Field massive batting average boost (and power, of course) and see if some stupid GM will listen to "we've changed his hitting approach and he's back to his old self!" Sounds like they may not flip him away right now.

Verified Member

He has some interesting contract clauses though based on Baseball Prospectus info...

Troy Tulowitzki ss

signed extension with Colorado 11/30/10, replacing final 3 years and option in previous contract

11:$5.5M, 12:$8.25M, 13:$10M, 14:$16M, 15-19:$20M annually, 20:$14M, 21:$15M club option ($4M buyout)

salaries for 2020 and 2021 may increase by $6M annually based on MVP votes, Gold Gloves, Silver Sluggers or All-Star selections

award bonuses, including $25,000 each for Gold Glove, All Star

$2M assignment bonus if traded

may be traded only once during contract

6 years/$31M (2008-13), plus 2014 club option

signed extension with Colorado 1/23/08

08:$0.75M, 09:$1M, 10:$3.5M, 11:$5.5M, 12:$8.25M, 13:$10M, 14:$15M club option ($2M buyout)

may void remainder of contract if traded

award bonuses: $25,000 each for All Star, Gold Glove; $50,000 for Silver Slugger. $75,000 for LCS MVP. $0.1M each for MVP, WS MVP

at signing, largest deal for player with less than 2 years of service

1 year/$0.381M (2007)

1 year (2006)

contract purchased by Colorado 8/06

drafted by Colorado 2005 (1-7) (Long Beach State)

signed 6/05, $2.3M signing bonus

agent: Paul Cohen

ML service: 8.033

I've seen it referenced several times regarding the fact that Tulo now has a full no-trade clause (so he can't be flipped by TOR unless he agrees to it), but this is the only reference I've seen to any mention that he can void his contract if traded. Could he elect free agency at the end of the year?

There are 2 separate contracts described in that post. I think that was under the terms of his previous contract signed on 1/23/08.

I am thinking the same thing. If this kind of package is available for Tulo, Braun should net something similar.

Big difference between Tulo and Braun. Tulo is offensively the best SS in the game; Crawford is getting close (but hasn't proven it over multiple seasons) and Peralta is 33 and likely not long for being adequate defensively at SS. Braun is maybe the 3rd-7th best RF in the game (clearly behind Stanton and Harper, then debatable between Braun, Bruce, Martinez, CarGo, Bautista and Springer). And you can move guys to RF from 3B/SS; you don't move guys to SS later in their career.

Tulo has extra value because it's a much more premium position with much more offensive scarcity. That, and not having the PED thing hanging over his head (but that's secondary to position premium).

Toronto gives up Hoffman after previously giving up Syndergaard in the past. They have a history of this.

It's disappointing that Melvin couldn't work out a package where Hoffman was included. Blown opportunity. Big time.

Blown opportunity? What if it was never possible? What if nothing we have is worthy of Hoffman to them?

(clearly behind Stanton and Harper, then debatable between Braun, Bruce, Martinez, CarGo, Bautista and Springer).

Not to nitpick too much, but I don't think Carlos Gonzalez or Bruce belong in that next tier. If so, I'd probably put them at 6 and 7.

If we're factoring in defense as well I'd put Heyward probably at #3 or #4. If we count Cruz as a RF, he's above them, and I'd probably put Granderson in over CarGo (Granderson is a slightly better hitter and a slightly better fielder).

Big difference between Tulo and Braun. Tulo is offensively the best SS in the game; Crawford is getting close (but hasn't proven it over multiple seasons) and Peralta is 33 and likely not long for being adequate defensively at SS. Braun is maybe the 3rd-7th best RF in the game (clearly behind Stanton and Harper, then debatable between Braun, Bruce, Martinez, CarGo, Bautista and Springer). And you can move guys to RF from 3B/SS; you don't move guys to SS later in their career.

Tulo has extra value because it's a much more premium position with much more offensive scarcity. That, and not having the PED thing hanging over his head (but that's secondary to position premium).

I agree that Braun isn't worth as much as Tulo, but at least this opens the door a bit to show that this type of deal is possible.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I get the SS vs RF/LF thing. All things being equal, I would trade Braun to pick up Tulo.

But Tulo hasnt played in 140 games since 2011. Throw in eventual position change, injuries, and the Col splits and Id say the two are in the same general asset category.

If the Brewers were to trade Braun, the template is set: take back a contract and pick up two premium assets.

One thing to consider...Tulowitzki is a marketing giant while Braun is light years below him. The excitment in Toronto is probably ridiculous despite what many believe is a not so great trade for them. With Braun you won't have that marketability.

I think this is a sign that it will not happen. The return wasn't great for Tulo...what on earth would the Brewers get for someone worth quite a bit less? Probably not enough for them to consider trading him. This may be a sign that he is tradable...but the value not near as much.

One thing to consider...Tulowitzki is a marketing giant while Braun is light years below him. The excitment in Toronto is probably ridiculous despite what many believe is a not so great trade for them. With Braun you won't have that marketability.

I think this is a sign that it will not happen. The return wasn't great for Tulo...what on earth would the Brewers get for someone worth quite a bit less? Probably not enough for them to consider trading him. This may be a sign that he is tradable...but the value not near as much.

I think most people are over the Braun snaffu. They'd be excited. He's hitting well.

We may take WAR too literally these days as discussed earlier, but both Tulo and Braun have been worth 34 wins (above replacement) in their respective careers. Braun has done it in less years but has had more plate appearances/games (as we know - injuries). Both Braun and Tulo are at about 1.5 wins this year.

Point being, I would absolutely take Tulo if given the choice, but their values are similar. I think GMs would agree that Tulo is more valuable...but not by THAT much.

I think most people are over the Braun snaffu. They'd be excited. He's hitting well.

We may take WAR too literally these days as discussed earlier, but both Tulo and Braun have been worth 34 wins in their respective careers. Braun has done it in less years but has had more plate appearances/games (as we know - injuries). Both Braun and Tulo are at about 1.5 wins this year.

Point being, I would absolutely take Tulo if given the choice, but their values are similar. I think GMs would agree that Tulo is more valuable...but not by THAT much.

Maybe Fiers, Segura, and Krod will bring back Tulo (blue)

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived