Brewer Fanatic

Johnny Cueto to Royals for lefties Brandon Finnegan, John Lamb and Cody Reed

superfly

glad to see him out of the NL Central for now!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

seems like a pretty good haul for 2 months of Cueto. just like the sabathia trade though, teams like KC need to do it when they think they have a chance, knowing that they will pay for it year later just like the brewers are now.

This is why I want the Brewers to trade away some of their good assets now. If two months of Cueto brings back two top 100 prospects, 1.5 years of Gomez and 2.5 years of Lucroy (both on team-friendly contracts) should bring back enough talent to immediately make our farm one of the best around. With that, we should be able to make this a fairly quick rebuild.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Where are the people who a few weeks ago were using KC as an example of a good FO while ours is brutal due to us trading everyone and "going for it"?

I read a quick summary of the prospects, seems to be a very good haul for 2 months since they have 0 chance of signing Cueto. I saw they are looking for OF and 2B help too with Parra being mentioned. What do they have left in the system for a Parra/Segura package?

Apparently the Reds wanted left handed pitching back. Interesting group. Two of the three are at or close to major league ready. Lamb was highly rated early on, fell off and is having a great year at AAA now at 24. Finnegan is highly rated but struggled at AAA. He might need a bit more seasoning. Reed is moving fast.

Reds didn't settle for low minor league guys for Cueto either.

This is why I want the Brewers to trade away some of their good assets now. If two months of Cueto brings back two top 100 prospects, 1.5 years of Gomez and 2.5 years of Lucroy (both on team-friendly contracts) should bring back enough talent to immediately make our farm one of the best around. With that, we should be able to make this a fairly quick rebuild.

Teams "going for it" pay dearly for aces, especially relatively inexpensive ones like Cueto even on rentals. Cueto can be the key for a championship, at least that's the Royals thinking.

I don't think teams see Gomez or Lucroy in the same light. Lucroy is probably not at his high selling point, and the Brewers have nothing behind him. I doubt he goes anywhere.

That three potential starting pitchers for 2 months of Cueto.

The price for Kazmir had me worried this is a buyers market but this makes me feel better about our chances to bring back some nice assets.

Apparently the Reds wanted left handed pitching back. Interesting group. Two of the three are at or close to major league ready. Lamb was highly rated early on, fell off and is having a great year at AAA now at 24. Finnegan is highly rated but struggled at AAA. He might need a bit more seasoning. Reed is moving fast.

Reds didn't settle for low minor league guys for Cueto either.

Of course you're negating ultimate ceiling. This wasn't a good trade for the Reds, it was quantity more so than quality.

Finnegan doesn't have a 3rd pitch, he never has, his ceiling has always been that of a mid rotation starter which is the reason I wasn't interested in drafting him last year.

Lamb completely lost his velocity after TJ and this is the first year he's back up over 90. The quality of his pitches also decreased dramatically with TJ and he never had a quality 3rd pitch to start with. He's a 4-5 now.

Reed has a big arm, but control issues and also lacks a plus secondary offering, best case your hoping a mid rotation guy but he's more likely a bullpen piece.

KC isn't the model of how a small market should operate and I disagree that these are the moves a small market team has to make when they are in a "window".

Here's BA's unbiased take on the trade.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Where are the people who a few weeks ago were using KC as an example of a good FO while ours is brutal due to us trading everyone and "going for it"?

This is why I think teams could do well by "cycling talent." There is always a team willing to give up long-term plans for short-term gratification. We just need to have the wherewithal and guts to take advantage of that.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived