Brewer Fanatic

Shortstop to the Padres?

Per Heyman:

"San Diego still has interest in a shortstop and young pitching, so it may do some buying as well as selling. They've considered three shortstops in Milwaukee: Jean Segura, Luis Sardinas or Orlando Arcia."

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/25249253/inside-baseball-big-trade-storylines-involve-padres-tigers-hamels

Been alot of Orlando Arcia buzz lately...I am going to LMAO if he gets packaged into a deal we make for something. This board will implode.

"We're going for it"

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they traded Arcia and another pitcher for Price.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Been alot of Orlando Arcia buzz lately...I am going to LMAO if he gets packaged into a deal we make for something. This board will implode.

"We're going for it"

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they traded Arcia and another pitcher for Price.

Then you are horribly negative. Brewers wouldn't trade Arcia last year for Price, why would they now? Why would they trade for a rental period? I must be just missing your sarcasm.

Then you are horribly negative. Brewers wouldn't trade Arcia last year for Price, why would they now? Why would they trade for a rental period? I must be just missing your sarcasm.

I'm not saying I would like it. I just said I would be surprised because that's the kind of stuff that they do. I must have missed it but when was that a rumor last year?

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I'm not saying I would like it. I just said I would be surprised because that's the kind of stuff that they do. I must have missed it but when was that a rumor last year?

Well they were interested in Price and I know specifically there was rumblings they weren't trading Arcia for anyone. I don't think they even wanted to trade Tyrone Taylor in any deal. It was never a rumor specifically linking the two together.

I just don't think I can agree they make that type of move. At what point did the Brewers trade an elite prospect for a rental while 19.5 games back in the division? They did trade some elite talent for CC Sabathia, but let's be honest that is not very comparable to the situation they are in now.

I'll admit, a lot of this is the pessimist in me coming out. I just fear they're only going to trade a few guys that won't bring back much and then think they could for it again next year.

San Diego has been linked to Brewers shortstops since spring training. I wonder if this is new news, or just Heyman rehashing.

I am sure they are still interested in making a trade. Sardinas and Segura are both young/controllable.

I doubt we would be able to get hedges, right?

No I don't think either Segura or Sardinas will bring much back. Segura has proven he isn't that good and Sardinas while never given the chance doesn't seem like he will be anything himself.

I dont like the Padres system. They completely gutted it in the offseason. I dont even know how much I value a defense first catcher like Hedges.

I dont like the Padres system. They completely gutted it in the offseason. I dont even know how much I value a defense first catcher like Hedges.

Well we are talking about a likely utility player(Sardinas) and a MAYBE average SS(Segura) so it isn't like we will get an incredible return anyway. If we were talking Gomez/Lucroy I'd see the concern, but for these guys a weak system isn't a big deal. It isn't like they don't have the pieces to acquire one of them.

Of the 4 SS options of value at/above AA (Segura, Sardinas, Rivera, Arcia), I'd gladly put forth Sardinas as the one of those 4 I'd be willing to trade at this point.

Arcia's a keeper for sure for now. Segura's got plenty of obvious value but also some questions, yet he could also prove to be part of the future at 3B or 2B for all we know, too. Rivera seems to produce better than Sardinas overall and might also prove a more versatile bat if not also positional player all over the IF. That leaves Sardinas, who may have decent value, too, though little since he came to MIL in the Gallardo trade has pointed that way strongly.

Archived