Brewer Fanatic

The rumors about the Cubs being interested in Hamels won't go away

Central Notes: Hamels, Price, Samardzija, ChiSox, Royals, Gonzales

By Steve Adams [July 24, 2015 at 12:11am CDT

The Hamels to Chicago rumors started picking up steam last winter and subsided for awhile. Speculation this morning on the radio and in the BA Hot Sheet regarding Gleyber Torres seems to suggest the Cubs feel they can acquire Hamels without giving up someone like Baez or Schwarber. Also an article linked the piece above and also cited in other sources this morning says the Cubs aren't interested in spending significant prospects on a rental as they know they aren't quite ready to compete at the highest level.

The Cubs acquiring Hamels for something like Torres, McKinney, and one of Underwood/Cease... then signing a stud FA pitcher like David Price this winter is my absolute nightmare scenario. One would have to hope that both of those guys started to breakdown. Hamels is 31 with 3 years + an option remaining, Price is 29 so he probably has 3-4 pretty good years left in him as well.

I actually kind of like the Pirates but it's no fun looking up at the Cubs and Cards.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

based on their innings loads, odds are pretty good that both Hamels and Price will start trending downhill. The upside with Hamels for the Cubs is his current deal only has 3-4 more seasons left on it - so while it's at a very high pricetag, there aren't guranteed years of bad baked into it like many longterm extensions for starting pitching.

The next contract David Price signs will probably need to have a few years of big salary for a pitcher likely on the decline well into his mid-30's.

what has really screwed the Cubs' deadline plans up this year is Baez's thumb injury and Castro being downright bad. The Cubs were dying to include Castro in a deal for MLB impact pitching in order to move Russell over to short where he belongs and call up Baez to play 2nd. With Bryant at 3rd then Schwarber would fit at a corner OF spot. The Cubs probably have to delay that gameplan until this offseason now, and will likely not get near the level of talent in return for Castro as they would have hoped.

If I'm the Phillies talking to the Cubs, I hold out until Baez or Schwarber are included in the deal. I don't care how loaded or deep a farm system is, when you're looking to trade a LH starting pitcher under a fair market contract for a quality pitcher in his prime, you ask for the best of what a team has in terms of prospects - if they say no, you move on to another organization.

Most of what I'm reading down here in Chicago is that the Cubs are much more likely to add a guy like Matt Latos or Dan Haren. Arrieta is performing like an ace and they are already paying Lester a boatload.

Schwarber is untouchable. He's the hottest thing in Chicago right now. Cub fans would riot in the street if he were dealt for Hamels.

Most of what I'm reading down here in Chicago is that the Cubs are much more likely to add a guy like Matt Latos or Dan Haren. Arrieta is performing like an ace and they are already paying Lester a boatload.

Schwarber is untouchable. He's the hottest thing in Chicago right now. Cub fans would riot in the street if he were dealt for Hamels.

Chicago sports fans are the single most myopic and insular bunch I've ever come across. The rioting would quickly turn to dancing should Hamels lead them to a World Series. All they care about is one title at this point.

Oof, and Hamels no hits the Cubs today.
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

My first thought was that if the Cubs were truly interested in Hamels this would guarantee that they went out and got him. Immediately following this thought was the realization that with Amaro in charge, Hamel's price probably just rose to an amount so astronomically high no other GM could possibly rationalize meeting it.

Archived