Brewer Fanatic

Ramirez to Pittsburgh for Yhonathan Barrios; Goforth recalled

trwi7
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see why we couldn't nab a competitive balance pick as it has only theoretical value as opposed to an actual player.

edit. Or a pitcher as I'm posting this according the notification spewing across my phone.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

good luck to Rami!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Like it more now that I found out he's been pitching for less than two years.

30. Yhonathan Barrios, RHP Video: The 5’11/180 Dominican reliever converted to the mound late in 2013 and played at both A-Ball levels in 2014. His delivery is low effort for a reliever, he sits 94-98 and hits 100 mph with above average life and also mixes in a solid average changeup and a fringy slider. His command that isn’t that bad, given the conversion and arm speed, and he’s still learning to pitch, so there’s more upside here.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/evaluating-the-prospects-pittsburgh-pirates/

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

You must have a smart phone!

I wonder why they had Barrios at AAA this year? Looks like he barely touched AA (24IP) before jumping to AAA. With that little experience, its surprising.

And K/9 are low and BB/9 are pretty high for a relief pitcher. But potential is OK. I still would have preferred the competitive balance pick. ;)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm surprised people think we could get anything but some salary relief and a C prospect for Ramirez. A nice July doesn't negate an awful first half of the season (not to mention the latter part of 2014). Plus the guy is a bad baserunner at this stage, and his defense isn't much either (still has a strong arm, stops the ball hit in front of him - but to either side is anyone's guess).

To me it's about getting A-Ram in a place to finish out his career with a little fun. I hope he stays hot for Pittsburgh, and helps beat the Cardinals.

Whatever money we save (I see the Pirates are taking on $3M) - let's hope it goes to doing some good for the team and not a sequel to the Bud Selig Experience or a yacht for the owner.

they've had a lot of RP coming up/down from MLB/AAA this year, so I think he was there to kind of be that last RP out of the pen

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Yhonathan Barrios. 23 year old reliever with a 4.6 ERA and awful peripheral stats in AAA. So much for Ramirez's hot month giving him value.

His hot month meant he could be traded at all. Prior to that you were looking at a Lohse situation where he'd either be released or relegated to bench duty. From the Brewer perspective, they should save some money, and open up a spot for Perez who's looked very good at the plate.

Barrios did put up good numbers at AA earlier. Was the closer for Altoona and he's only 23. Adds another live bullpen arm to the system.

I'd play Hernan at 3B a lot and get Sardinas up to get ABs at all three spots. I wouldn't complain about playing Dominguez at 3rd either and see what happens. Being the Brewers, he'll probably do well to finish the year and then we'll bank on him for the future and he'll never live up to it. Sorry the pessimism creeping in

Ramirez ended up being one of the better free agent contracts in Brewers history (yes, seriously). He gets to go finish his career with a contender, where he started his career, and the Brewers get a pitcher with some possible upside. Sounds good to me.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived