Brewer Fanatic

Lohse DFA?

I never took those comments that the Brewers were ready to release Lohse. I thought they were indicative of a possible/hopeful waiver claim or, more likely, a trade (either due to a waiver claim or due to Lohse passing through waivers).

Either way, it's obvious that no one's really wanted Lohse too badly (or desperately) or else he'd be gone. If that's indeed the case, I'm guessing money's not the issue, rather his terrible on-field results.

That said, it's still only August 10th so there are still 3 weeks for Lohse to give folks (i.e., opposing GMs) reason for a little optimism or for another team to have enough injuries or performance issues that they'd come back to the Brewers to try to acquire Lohse. (Technically they could trade for him through September, too, but he wouldn't be playoff eligible, which may not be an issue anyway if he doesn't produce well after a trade OR if he's needed just to cover a start or two during another player's short-term absence.)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is precedence for the Brewers to simply release these guys that are just not producing in the last year of their deals. Wolf I think was released in August the last year of his contract with better numbers than what Lohse is carrying right now. Suppan I believe was released much earlier in the season.

So it wouldn't shock me if they still release him. It's possible they still let him ride it out. There's really not much upside to either move. Either they bury him in the bullpen just to pitch in garbage time or release him and see if anyone wants him for the prorated minimum. When rosters expand in September I'd rather give those garbage innings to guys who have a future here to evaluate.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
How about offering an assistant coaching job at his current salary? I doubt it will fly because he is contracted to pitch and not coach. But unless he thinks he can pitch next year, it might behoove him to start the next step now.

How about offering an assistant coaching job at his current salary? I doubt it will fly because he is contracted to pitch and not coach. But unless he thinks he can pitch next year, it might behoove him to start the next step now.

That would be incredibly insulting. I would think Lohse would rather just be released and try to get signed by another team.

I'm not sure why that would be insulting... If anything, its an insult to tell someone that they can't pitch for one of the worst teams in the league. Which is what you do when to DFA him. But its a complement to say that we value your off-the field contributions to the team and want them to continue (off the field).

We pay him one way or another. If Lohse sees the handwriting on the wall and decides to hang up the cleats, offering him an opportunity to coach might be an opportunity he wants.

If he thinks he has a chance to pitch elsewhere, then the offer doesn't make sense.

"Kyle, thanks for everything, we are moving on from you as a pitcher. However, we really value what you brought to the organization. If you want to stay as a pitching coach, there's a position for you."

I don't get why that's insulting.

I agree you've got to wait til a guy is retired to make him a coaching offer. I don't think any active player in this era would welcome a coaching offer. Releasing a guy is one thing, you're just telling him you no longer want him, it's business.

Asking a active player if he'd like to stay on in a coaching role is essentially telling him that no one is going to want him anymore as a player, which to me is a little more personal. True or not, you wait for the guy to walk away on his own before you start trying to make post-playing career plans with him.

At the very least, wait until the offseason when he can consider all his options and it probably comes off a lot differently.

I guess we just disagree then. I thought reillymcshane's example was really good. We are going to DFA you, but here is an option if you can't find anything else. I don't think its insulting to give someone options. It lets them know that you still have respect/regard for him, even though his physical skills are fading.

It seems that having Lohse around works as insurance against burning though the pitching staff and forcing a roster move. His availability certainly made things easier last night when both Jungmann and Thornburg were ineffective. And as a bonus, Kyle's actually been effective in his relief appearances.

I'd just ride it out if a trade possibility doesn't come up. Come September, there'll be plenty of roster space for him. And if he wants to try to get a job next year, it'd certainly be to his advantage to finish the season.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

While I'm surprised the Brewers have kept Lohse around rather than just releasing him as they did with Wolf, I'm guessing they felt Lohse's professionalism was worth having around.

He's a very expensive long man, but he's actually looked ok in that role. The roster expands to 40 in September, so there really is no reason not to just let him pitch out his contract in that role and eat some innings. With all these young starters in our rotation there are bound to be some short starts.

I also would not be shocked it they put him on waivers and end up finding a team to take him as a long man and take on a fraction of his remaining salary. I just wouldn't expect much in the way of a return.

Archived