Brewer Fanatic

Lohse DFA?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So when we DFA Lohse is everyone going to moan about how we are winning more games and our draft pick keeps getting worse? I'm just curious because most on here are already concerned about playing better down the stretch ruining out Top 5 pick chances...wouldn't people want Lohse?

how long Lohse stays on the Brewers depends on how soon the Brewers may need his spot on the 40 man for any players acquired via trade. Lohse will be DFA'd as soon as trades start happening. He has zero trade value and DFA'ing him would give a veteran the opportunity to sign somewhere with a contending team that may want him down the stretch as a longman to preserve their bullpen.

Lohse is a sunk cost, and his days are numbered as a Brewer...it's too bad they couldn't have gotten some sort of return for him, since his signing cost the team a 1st round draft pick a few years ago.

So when we DFA Lohse is everyone going to moan about how we are winning more games and our draft pick keeps getting worse? I'm just curious because most on here are already concerned about playing better down the stretch ruining out Top 5 pick chances...wouldn't people want Lohse?

Ya, I'm so confused.

"We want to lose more so we get a higher pick. But get rid of Lohse cause he sucks."

Make up your mind.

Why hasn't this happened? Or at least stop pitching him at home, what a complete hot mess and management should be embarrassed by keeping him in the rotation. Good lord!!

I want Lohse in the rotation for the whole year if he is not going to be traded. I would rather have a better draft pick plus some of the younger pitchers should be getting close on their innings limit for this year. Jungmann, Cravy, and others should be getting close to their shut down numbers by next month.

Why hasn't this happened? Or at least stop pitching him at home, what a complete hot mess and management should be embarrassed by keeping him in the rotation. Good lord!!

I want Lohse in the rotation for the whole year if he is not going to be traded. I would rather have a better draft pick plus some of the younger pitchers should be getting close on their innings limit for this year. Jungmann, Cravy, and others should be getting close to their shut down numbers by next month.

Ah no. Just bring up Thornburg or Burgos and have them make a couple September starts if you are worried about innings limits. My gosh Jungmann is 25 not 22 and logged 153 innings last year. He can go 180 easy.

As for tanking for higher draft pick, then are you going to lower ticket prices or keep charging full prices?

When Lohse is cut loose, he won't be DFA'd. He'll just be put on release waivers, or put another way, unconditionally released.

You DFA guys you think you could still trade or who you might want to accept a minor league assignment. Neither would apply in Lohse's case. The sooner some team takes a flier on him for minimum wage, the sooner the Brewers get back at least a minimal amount of salary. DFA process takes 10 days.

Innings shouldn't be too much of a concern for Jungmann, he went 154 last year. He may need to skip a few starts to avoid 200 innings. Cravy on the other hand will likely end up in the bullpen for a good chunk of the year. He has already passed his career high for innings (83 last year).

They do have a goofy August schedule to possibly skip some starts. Now they're in a stretch with just 1 day off in 30 days. Then they have off 4 days in a 12 day period in the end of August.

As for tanking for higher draft pick, then are you going to lower ticket prices or keep charging full prices?

They have dynamic pricing. The price is determined by the demand for tickets.

I have to imagine some teams will look past this year's numbers. They will want him...but they'll use this year's numbers as leverage. I really didn't want Lohse. He wasn't my favorite. But he had two very solid years with us and is supposedly a great influence in the clubhouse. To be honest, if we can't move him now, I'd rather let Lohse try to work it out in the rotation.

Curious if he would net us a compensation pick next year. Obviously not a first, but don't they go as low as 3rd? I know he's been brutal this year but his track record might inflate it, however I'm sure no one would sign him until after the deadline if that were the case. I was just curious if he'd stall fall in that system

Curious if he would net us a compensation pick next year. Obviously not a first, but don't they go as low as 3rd? I know he's been brutal this year but his track record might inflate it, however I'm sure no one would sign him until after the deadline if that were the case. I was just curious if he'd stall fall in that system

I'm not an expert on these rules, but I think we'd need to make a qualifying offer to get a compensation pick. The QO would be somewhere around $16M for one year, which he would certainly accept, meaning he'd be a Brewer for another year at around $16M... no thanks.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

No pick. Under the old system maybe, but not anymore.

Did you fall asleep for a few years? That system is long gone and I don't think he would be anywhere close to a comp pick in the old system anyway.

Really, I just saw yesterday on ESPN someone receiving a pick if the guy left in FA rather than trading him now? Pretty sure it was David Price they were talking about. And last year it was a factor in Morales and Drew not signing until late in the year? And the year before was Lohse.

Regardless, we'd have to make a qualifying offer which no way we'd do so it doesn't matter.

Why not just keep trotting him out there. Let him eat innings instead of wasting a younger guys arm. Although, would be good experience to get someone younger in the rotation. I can't decide! Now I must sound like Brewers management. Either way I think it's a low(ish) risk choice.

:indifferent

My mentality is with guys like Lohse that if the team is going to suck, at least let us do it while auditioning or playing the young guys who might be worth keeping around when the team will potentially be a contender again. If guys like Cravy and Jungman come in and pitch well and the team picks up some wins, then that's fine because you know you have some reliable potential starters or worthwhile trade chips.

It's why I didn't have a problem with the Bucks making the playoffs last season cause they did it with their young core when a lot of people felt they should have stunk another year to get another high lottery pick. Obviously basketball is a bit different when it comes to team building and you need some veterans around to fill your major league roster out, but let the young guys with potential get some the playing time versus trotting out a veteran pitcher with an ERA over six just for the sake of his contract or hope you can potentially get something for him, especially when his contract is a sunk cost and he won't be back next year. You can then let the chips fall where they may.

Did you fall asleep for a few years? That system is long gone and I don't think he would be anywhere close to a comp pick in the old system anyway.

Pretty rude response to a simple question, IMHO.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The difference between Price/Cuddyer and Lohse is pretty significant. No one is going to look at what he did in the last few years because of his age. If he was 30, you might expect a bounce-back. Now is when people expect he will drop off.

In order to get a compensation pick, you need to offer a QO. Plenty of disagreements about Parra getting a QO (~$16M). I can't imagine anyone advocating that for Lohse.

Lohse might get a MiLB contract with a ST invite from someone next year. I can't imagine anything more.

Right, I said that from the beginning. I was just curious where he fell in that because I remembered in the past being shocked at guys that counted as compensation worthy even though they hadn't been good in a year or two. Apparently, that was an absolute ridiculous thing to ask even though the system still exists but with some tweaks over the years.

If the stories about him being kind of a "pitching coach/mentor" are true, Lohse could be good for the young guys. If you want him out of the rotation, make him a long man, but keep him around to help the youngsters adjust in the "Cardinal way" as opposed to the "Brewer way." Heck, I'd probably keep him around for the season and offer him a minor league pitching coach job for next year in an effort to help our prospects out.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The Brewers have 5 starters without Lohse, I can't see any scenario where they give him a QO.

The best they can hope for is some desperate team takes them off their hands late August in a waiver claim flyer.

Archived