Brewer Fanatic

The Ridiculous Theories Thread

Brewer Fanatic Staff

The Ridiculous Theories Thread -- Leader in the clubhouse, how do these guys get keyboard rights? Do they have editors?

Yankees reporter for NJ Advance Media & The Star-Ledger

NJ.com

Who could the Yankees nab on the market for cheap from potential sellers?

RHP Wily Peralta, Milwaukee Brewers

Peralta's been out since May 22 with a strained left oblique but has successfully made two rehab starts with one more on deck. His return for Milwaukee is set towards the end of the month, which of course would coincide perfectly.

Peralta, who's good friends with Yankees' reliever Dellin Betances, is just 1-5 with a 4.00 ERA. (Read: they won't have to give up much.) And his current contract is just a one-year, $525,000 deal.

See, it's the Yankees and we're just the lowly Brewers so we should feel privileged that they want to nab our talented, cheap starter.

Well we are a small market. All we do is create talent for them...and apparently give it to them while they are still cheap.

Maybe we could trade them Graeme Lloyd again.

Nahhh the Yankees can complain just as easily that Peralta has bone spurs, and we can send them Bob Wickman back. I hear he is really getting that River Valley HS program going.

Peralta, who's good friends with Yankees' reliever Dellin Betances, is just 1-5 with a 4.00 ERA. (Read: they won't have to give up much.) And his current contract is just a one-year, $525,000 deal.

It is amazing that somebody that follows baseball would type that in an article as it is the complete opposite of reality.

I was so consumed with the ridiculousness of the Peralta mention that I didn't even think about the other two "cheap" options he suggests:

1) LHP Jose Quintana, Chicago White Sox

Quintana's just 4-9 this year, but that's because the has the American League's lowest run support (2.63/game). He has a 3.83 ERA in 120.0 innings and appears durable: he's thrown 200-plus innings the last two seasons with a 3.42 ERA. His current contract—five years, $21 million from 2014-2018—shouldn't scare off the Yankees too badly.

Given that data... why in the world would you think this guy would come cheaply? An innings-eater who's been throwing sub-4.00 ERA signed very cheaply through 2018, and is a LHP? A contract that averages $4.2 mil for that production "shouldn't scare off the Yankees too badly?" Seriously? That wouldn't scare of the Rays, let alone the Yankees. But I'm assuming that since he has a 4-9 record the writer thinks they could pull a fast one on the ChiSox.

He then mentions Samardzija as the third "cheap" option. Given that the White Sox would surely offer him a QO if he's not traded, the compensation for a trade would at a minimum have to include prospects equivalent to a compensatory 1st round pick in what appears to be a very deep draft class next summer.

Gruber Lawffices

Mass, I think your thread title undersells the fun to be had here. I'd go with something like "The New York Media Delusional Fantasies Thread." NYC "journalists" live on a whole different planet where "our crap for their gold" trade proposals are concerned. Nobody else is that arrogant, not even Boston and L.A. media. "Why would they do that?" is not in these guys' vocabulary.

Archived